3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

gas vs diesel mega cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah this may be a diesel site but a lot of guys here once drove gas. I had a diesel I thought the cost of ownership was kinda high and diesel wasn't that cheap. So I went and got a gasser, big mistake! BEST i could get on a highway trip was 14mpg. Now if I stay under 70mph I can get over 20mpg with my Diesel plus the dealer here only charges $49 for the oil changes! Not to mention the diesel will WAY outlive the gasser and have more power as well. These are just some of the reasons why so many people are going out and buying diesels and in the near future you will see many, many more on the road, in cars, truck, suvs, etc.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:19 AM

subspd, what dealership do you go to? I use amsoil now but just curious. I got mine at RedMcCombs (now Lonestar) but live down the street from Gunn.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taso has good points. However Argo is right about future. Last year, in Europe> 50% of new autos sold were deisel. U.S. should start selling more and more unless federales` ruin it. Europe is more concered about greenhouse gases and U.S. more concerned about smog, thus particulate filters. I too could have gotten by with gasoline I suppose but I am on 6th diesel, as I love them. A lot of people go from gas to diesel, but not many other way around. That gives some insight. Good Luck whatever you choose.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:50 AM

my total ownership cost is down for sure coming from a 5.4L expedition with 3/4 ton drive trane. I tow a large offshore boat and I get 14mpg with diesel and got 6mpg with the expedition. I get 18 mpg+ day to day where I got 12.5 daily with the expy. My oil is with amsoil now so I do it every 20k at about $84 per change with filter and I used to change it every 5k with the expy at $25.......
Old 10-29-2006, 11:14 AM

Hey Argo i was just curious what your mileage is when you have your programmer turned all the way up? I know that it will suffer but i was wondering how much? Thanks
Old 10-29-2006, 11:40 AM

1.) You don't need to change the oil on a diesel nearly as often as a gasser. Under normal use the oil change schedule for the 3rd gen CTD is once every 15,000 miles.

Heavy duty use it drops to once every 7,500 miles.

2.) You can't tow anywhere near as much with a gasser that you can with a diesel.

3.) Mileage for the diesel is much better, especially when towing. Tow a heavy load with that big hemi and if you're lucky you'll get 10 MPG.

4.) The diesel engine will be the last thing to go on your truck. You could get 1,000,000 miles on the diesel. Try doing that with a gas engine.

5.) Resale on the diesel will be much higher than a gasser. In fact, if you combine the fuel savings with the higher resale, you'll probably get the extra cost of the diesel engine back.

There are too many reasons to list.

If you can get the diesel, get it.

DT.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselnewbie
5.) Resale on the diesel will be much higher than a gasser. In fact, if you combine the fuel savings with the higher resale, you'll probably get the extra cost of the diesel engine back.
As stated, you'll easily get 90+% or more of the initial cost of the diesel engine back at trade-in time. Take a look through your local Truck Trader magazines and find two similarly equipped trucks (2500 series) with the HEMI then a CTD and compare prices......you'll soon see what we mean.

Greg
Old 10-29-2006, 12:33 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by turbojoes
does anybody know the mileage differance betwwen the gas vs diesel when towing and empty? looking to buy a mega cab but i don't know if its worth it to spring for the diesel. most i tow is about 7500 - 8000lbs. also on a diesel how much is an oil change and fuel filter and is there any other maintenance?
Where did turbojoes go? Off topic kinda, but what Hemi are they putting in the new 3/4 and 1 tons, 5.7 liter? I dont pay much attention to gassermobiles but I thought they had a newer 6.1 liter Hemi??
Old 10-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Banned

Just wanted to start off by saying hey to everyone in this forum as I am newly registered here. To turbojoes: Just think to yourself for a bit...why do they even make diesel motors? Why do you think that they don't try cramming big gas motors in Kenworths, Freightliners and Macks? Why not put gas motors in bulldozers, tractors and backhoes? Diesel motors are made to work and work hard. If you pull on a regular basis, or even NOT on a regular basis, you are going to save a LOT with the diesel. I like many in here, used to drive a gas truck and not only could it not pull but about half of what my diesel now can, it didn't get as much mileage EMPTY as my truck gets now pulling 12000lbs. Go with the diesel. Fuel might be a few more cents cost that gas, but you'll love knowing that you're also purchasing a motor that if maintained correctly, will last you two and three and sometimes even four times longer than a gas motor. Just my two cents. Thanks for having me on the boards fellas.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by dieselnewbie
1.) You don't need to change the oil on a diesel nearly as often as a gasser. Under normal use the oil change schedule for the 3rd gen CTD is once every 15,000 miles.

Heavy duty use it drops to once every 7,500 miles.

2.) You can't tow anywhere near as much with a gasser that you can with a diesel.

3.) Mileage for the diesel is much better, especially when towing. Tow a heavy load with that big hemi and if you're lucky you'll get 10 MPG.

4.) The diesel engine will be the last thing to go on your truck. You could get 1,000,000 miles on the diesel. Try doing that with a gas engine.

There are too many reasons to list.

If you can get the diesel, get it.

DT.
What he said!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:20 PM

My grandpa & I have the exact same '05 truck except his is a gasser. Towing a fiver, I get 12.5 & he gets 8.5 (hilly driving). I think if you don't tow pretty often, it would take a long time to recoup the extra cost for the diesel engine & more frequent maintenance schedule. As for me, I tow daily & plan on keeping it forever so that is why I went diesel. Besides, it just sounds cool!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 02:49 PM

even not towing it will pay off with fuel savings over 100000 for sure. I get 30%+ better mileage than I did with my gasser and diesel is only about 10 cents more than gasoline reg.

As far as what mileage I get with the programmer turned up all the way, I dont know, I only drive on level 1. The hot juice has alot of fueling on 4 and 5, i dont even use 5 as I have a stock fuel pump and injectors so I dont get out of it what I should. level 4 is very nice and I have maybe gone 10 miles on level 4 total and I am sure it is more like gallons per mile given I am doing it 1/4 mile at a time. I have towed in levels 2 and 3 in the mountains with heavy loads and it has only dropped down to 12.5 mpg avg over about 600 miles.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Argo
even not towing it will pay off with fuel savings over 100000 for sure. I get 30%+ better mileage than I did with my gasser and diesel is only about 10 cents more than gasoline reg.

As far as what mileage I get with the programmer turned up all the way, I dont know, I only drive on level 1. The hot juice has alot of fueling on 4 and 5, i dont even use 5 as I have a stock fuel pump and injectors so I dont get out of it what I should. level 4 is very nice and I have maybe gone 10 miles on level 4 total and I am sure it is more like gallons per mile given I am doing it 1/4 mile at a time. I have towed in levels 2 and 3 in the mountains with heavy loads and it has only dropped down to 12.5 mpg avg over about 600 miles.
So, for all that $$$ it cost to get better fuel mileage, do you think you will break even any time soon?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:22 PM

diesel truck getting 18 and gasser getting 12.5.

current cost of diesel $2.36
current cost of gas $2.10

say 50k miles which is what I have

Every mile I drive in diesel cost me .13
every mile in my gasser cost me .17

50k x .13 = $6500
50k x .17 = $8500

so over 50k I have saved about $2000. That isnt even including all the towing miles that I get 14mpg rather than 6.5mpg. I will get my money back by the end of 2007 as I put on about 35k a year. when I sell my truck, if I sell my truck, with high miles I will get everything back just because of how much it retains its value. Comparison shop for a dodge 2500 cummins with 100k and a 2500 hemi with 100k........
Old 10-29-2006, 04:36 PM

The figures are nice to look at but it's really a no-brainer.

The CTD averages ~50% more miles per gallon. Is diesel 50% more expensive? No way.

And you're right about retaining it's value. Resale alone will return more than 50% of the CTD's initial cost, minimum.

Who wants to buy a pickup with a Hemi that has 100k miles on it? Not only would I *NOT* buy one, I'd run away from it!

No thanks.

Diesel is the way to go if you can afford the up front cost.

My only regret:

I wish I bought a dually instead.

Dang.

DT.

Originally Posted by Argo
diesel truck getting 18 and gasser getting 12.5.

current cost of diesel $2.36
current cost of gas $2.10

say 50k miles which is what I have

Every mile I drive in diesel cost me .13
every mile in my gasser cost me .17

50k x .13 = $6500
50k x .17 = $8500

so over 50k I have saved about $2000. That isnt even including all the towing miles that I get 14mpg rather than 6.5mpg. I will get my money back by the end of 2007 as I put on about 35k a year. when I sell my truck, if I sell my truck, with high miles I will get everything back just because of how much it retains its value. Comparison shop for a dodge 2500 cummins with 100k and a 2500 hemi with 100k........

Quick Reply: gas vs diesel mega cab