3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Garrett turbo GT3782R stage 3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
True, but you're not going to see that difference on the engine. You can't slap on a 4094 and magically drop PR way down and still flow the required air.

jh

Looking at the maps off of Garrets website it shows stock, stage one, two and three over lapping each other. The bottom left hand side of the map shows all three turbos to look very similar, does that relate directly to spool up?

This turbo has my interest for a conversion build up that I'm in the process of doing. The motor is a 06 and it's a new rebuild. I would like to break the motor in with stock injectors, but I would like to put an aftermarket turbo on it for future upgrades. The ultimate turbo would be able to support 550hp in a single set up, after I get comfortable with the motor I would like to bomb the heck out of it and use this turbo for a compound set up. Opinion's

Thanks in advance

AlanB
Old 12-26-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NOt really. A map tells you next to nothing about spoolup. What it CAN tell you though is if you will be "surging" at certain spoolup points. A person really needs to plot various operating conditions on the compressor map and ensure they are not operating left of the surge line.

This is especially a problem on smallish displacement engines with low rev limits (exactly like a CTD) because we are trying to build a lot of boost early and large compressors don't handle this well.

The real culprit is the incredible range of operating conditions we present to a turbocharger in a CTD application. A gas engine might only be on boost from 3k-6k rpm, and only pushing 8-12psi. But a CTD might push a turbo from 0-40psi in less than 1k rpm!

The Garrett maps do overlap each other, but you'll notice the surge line for the stg 3 gt3788r is much farther to the right. I don't think this compressor is optimized for the GT37 housing-- I suspect that Garrett is basically stuffing a GT4088 into a smaller package that will bolt directly to the existing manifold and compromising the overall turbo efficiency to do so. The stg 3 is on a GT37 frame with a housing that bolts right up to the divided T3 flange of the OEM manifold.

Getting a single turbo to support 550hp with reasonable EGT isn't all that hard. Doing it with a modicum of streetability and efficiency is the real trick. After all, we want not only the big power and low EGTs, but also not surge and instant spoolup. Thus far, this is pure unobtainium in turbo land-- but twins are much, much closer than any other means available.

JMO
Old 02-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Any new reviews?would like to hear more on this setup
Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 AM

well i pulled the trigger and bought one last week,installed it friday.The power seems good,spool is great,not to happy with the excessive bark and the the surge at about 26 psi,so i called tom at turbo resource and am sending it in on monday to be tweaked a little.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM

Can you hear the turbo whistle at idel?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:02 PM

yes you can
Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 PM

you got the stage 3?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:13 PM

yeah,i got it thursday and bolted it on friday
Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 0lywrench
yeah,i got it thursday and bolted it on friday
Could you get more details and pics, sound review to please. Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 01:43 PM

How distinct is the sound at idel? My buddy has a 99 7.3 with a garret turbo and it sounds good.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:37 AM

well i pulled the trigger and bought one last week,installed it friday.The power seems good,spool is great,not to happy with the excessive bark and the the surge at about 26 psi,so i called tom at turbo resource and am sending it in on monday to be tweaked a little.
Did you get it back on? Any updates?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 AM

Is the barking just part of having a bigger turbo and fueling mods? I can bark my SB62 fairly easy also. Had it happen with the stock turbo but it was not as often. Was at a recent Dyno event and many people I talked to said theres did it also and not to worry about it. I am curious what the manufacturer may change to help with the barking? How difficult and/or $$ is it to add a BOV to help the barking on these larger turbos?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sinbadd
Did you get it back on? Any updates?
i have not sent it in yet,i have been playing with the fueling and its gotten better but stil not right
Old 04-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

barking seems to happen more to the turbos with high drive presures etc and people that like to chop the throttle rather than letting off it....
Old 04-25-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by gus's 03
barking seems to happen more to the turbos with high drive presures etc and people that like to chop the throttle rather than letting off it....
or when im holding throttle steady and the tc locks,nothing to do with chopping the throttle

Quick Reply: Garrett turbo GT3782R stage 3?