3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Garrett turbo GT3782R stage 3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out these guys: http://www.turboresource.com/ They start out with the above mentioned turbo and work on its shorcomings. The turbo really seems to work well, the TDR had a great writeup on it compared to a SPS62. Power came in much sooner and it was able to support a higher HP level with controllable egt's. On the plus side it is much cheaper than the above mentioned quote.

Doug
Old 12-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
Check out these guys: http://www.turboresource.com/ They start out with the above mentioned turbo and work on its shorcomings. The turbo really seems to work well, the TDR had a great writeup on it compared to a SPS62. Power came in much sooner and it was able to support a higher HP level with controllable egt's. On the plus side it is much cheaper than the above mentioned quote.

Doug
I'll check them out. 2,400 is what I was quoted on the phone at 3 different places but seems high.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:58 PM

I was wondering what the GT40 would be like on these trucks?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

The only thing to consider when using a ball bearing setup such as the garret is their longevity, they will not last as long as say a journal bearing type turbo such as the one(s) like what HTT and II use in their turbo setups. But like stated in previous post's they will surely spool alot faster. So it's a win lose type situation IMO.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:06 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by CReed
The only thing to consider when using a ball bearing setup such as the garret is their longevity, they will not last as long as say a journal bearing type turbo such as the one(s) like what HTT and II use in their turbo setups. But like stated in previous post's they will surely spool alot faster. So it's a win lose type situation IMO.
I wonder how bad it it to rebuild one. I was thinking you could check the bearing play at oil changes and if it is beyond an acceptable range, have new bearings put in it. That is unless it costs 1200 to have it rebuilt, then it would be pointless. I am in the same boat as many people, I want a big turbo with street manners. I think ball bearings is the way to go, but if they only last say 40k, I can deal with the slower spool of a journal bearing.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 AM

I think if you run a good synthetic oil those bearings should last a long time.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CReed
really??? I would have thought that a ball bearing would outlast a brass bushing any day????
Old 12-23-2007, 03:52 AM

so what is the actual size of this turbo compared to how most places list turbos? ex: 64/71/13 Where can you get one i didnt seem to find much info anywhere. Also what about a gt 40 what are the sizes on it. Even if it is large wont the way they say these will spool up work well for say 600-650 hp?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:35 AM

I wonder why these companies do not use a roller bearing to gain the additional surface area. I am sure the ball bearing would wear a grove eventually and the groove allows move and then eventually failure.

If they are replacable bearings it would be cool to see if a roller type could be used?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 AM

At 25 to 40,000 rpm any bearing play is deadly. This is the problem with the s300's under big power. Ball bearings will wear into their races as the way they make "initial" friction lower is to minimize metal to metal contact which maximizes wear when the ***** start to get out of round....and they will. I assume they are still oil bath lubricated or are they just factory greased and good to go. If they are oil lubricated with the engine oil then with all the soot in our engines you would need a bypass filter system for sure and an oil filter on the feed line to the turbo to help with longevity. ks
Old 12-23-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
really??? I would have thought that a ball bearing would outlast a brass bushing any day????
If the bearing is oil cooled and oil lubricated, it should essentially last as long as say main and rod bearings. And also the oil acts as a lubricating layer between the shaft, and the bearing. A ball bearing is actually riding on the shaft and is pulling double duty compared to what the typical bearing.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bswope
I was wondering what the GT40 would be like on these trucks?
Originally Posted by SMOKIN-U
so what is the actual size of this turbo compared to how most places list turbos? ex: 64/71/13 Where can you get one i didnt seem to find much info anywhere. Also what about a gt 40 what are the sizes on it. Even if it is large wont the way they say these will spool up work well for say 600-650 hp?

compare maps etc...

Old 12-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Banned

look at those airflow diferances...
the 3788 makes about 70lb/min max @ about 3.2 presure ratio..
the 4094 is making that much airflow at a lazy 1.75 presure ratio... it almost doubles the stocker...
Old 12-24-2007, 09:39 AM

yep, that looks impressive. I think I need to get one. A comment was made earlier about soot maybe being a problem for the ball bearings but I think if you are running a big enough turbo for the fuel you are using and having the smarty (or other programmer that advances timing) with the cleaner burning tunes the soot level should not be much of a problem. That being said, it would be cheap insurance to run a oil bypass filter to help out. I think the key to making a ball bearing last in that situation is going to be the quality of oil. Synthetic all the way IMO.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get one and let me know how you like it....I might jump on that bandwagon.

Quick Reply: Garrett turbo GT3782R stage 3?