3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

fueling box summary -- new VA box shipping now

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fueling box summary -- new VA box shipping now

Hi all -- I have updated the fueling box summary with recent info in the VA duration box.

teaser: its a 115 HP peak HP output gain via injector duration without connecting to the injectors. in VA elegance, it has a single connection to the ECM and operates in the digital domain, according to the sources I rely on.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:25 AM

Hey Doug any word on the compatability of this new box with the 600?
Old 04-06-2004, 11:32 AM

I want the VA...tell more Doug!
Old 04-06-2004, 11:47 AM

as far as I know, this is a 305/555 box only. I'm afraid I don't know yet about the '600 compatibility. whats interesting about this box is that, without timing, it blows away any other box except TST, but it does so without a high voltage injector harness.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:49 AM

Who's selling?
Old 04-06-2004, 12:22 PM

Any VA dealer. Piers seems to be behind (as of yesterday). Precision Diesel (800-832-8844, and this pointer came from someone else) is the only one I know of that actually has product to sell. I have talked to PD directly and they say they have sold about 100 boxes thus far.

for those who don't want to wait for timing and are considering a pressure box, this one is a no brainer. It blows 'em all away except the TST. Whats REALLY INTERESTING is that they've found out how to adjust duration without using the high voltage injector harness.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:34 PM

Do you know if it can be stacked with the VA pressure box, and is there any benefit to that?
Old 04-06-2004, 04:21 PM

will this box work on a S.O. cummins with the 47re not cali? and is it adjustable?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:06 PM

yea, been thinking about both questions. not sure if the mechanical connections will allow it, but stacking both the VA boxes together is intersting from the power standpoint. VA might tell us if this is possible or recommended. But in general I don't see why not, unless there is some signal conflict I'm not aware off. I just don't know if the fueling maps are compatible and which one is "in charge" so to speak. I'll have to dig up more info on this one.

as for the SO, I nave no word yet. I would expect so, but better be safe and say I don't know

it is adjustable in the cab. off, plus two power settings. love the in-cab adustability and the ability to turn it off in an instant when you go off road crawling and don't want things too jumpy
Old 04-07-2004, 09:54 AM

Ok, well I am not that knowledgeable about the cummins yet(but I am slowly learning thanks to you all ) so I am wondering if there are any potential hazards to the engine by gaining power with duration only other than the obvious increase heat built up as a result of increased power just like any other box? I know that supposedly raising pressure high enough can cause increased injector wear and leaky seals so is this definetely a safer way of increasing HP? I have noticed a couple MPG increase with the EZ and the VA pressure boxes so would I also have a MPG increase with a duration only box? I know many have said timing only boxes help the most with MPG but what about the duration only box? Would also be interested if this box is stackable with the pressure VA box and what this new box costs. Thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 11:14 AM

for me, the jury is still out as to whether duration (without timing) gives any mpg or EGT advantage over pressure. not enough data out there. anyone else? I would expect the duration boxes to be equal to or better than the pressure boxes in this regard, but the "better" part is unknown.

There are no hazzards that I know of in attainging power via duration. the advantage is that you can inject the same of fuel charge without increasing the stress on the components. Basically, the argument against pressure is that you are running closer to the pressure relief valve opening pressure, there is increased stress on the common rail, injector seals and plunger, and there is a tendancy to more rapidly change the injector hole geometries. The argument for pressure says that the effects of all those things are too small to be of any material consequence.

A duration box will remove all doubt and guarentees that none of those things will happen to any degree.

I forgot to ask VA in my last correspondance if their pressure box is stackable with their duration box
Old 04-07-2004, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DOUG...I am new to this stuff, my first diesel (CTD 325/600) and need a little help. The NEW VA box is DURATION ONLY? As I understand it from reading this thread and elsewhere the new VA doesnt do pressure or timing? Am I up to speed here on this? I would favor the new VA, perfer to avoid the pressure type. I have read your fuel summary and want to say thanks, it has helped a newbie like me greatly.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 PM

you are correct. The new VA box is duration only and no timing. I have to confirm this but I believe it is available on the 600. Don't quote me on that yet
Old 04-07-2004, 02:03 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by doug
A duration box will remove all doubt and guarentees that none of those things will happen to any degree.
Doug, you're right to a degree about the duration boxes not causing the same stresses as a fuel pressure box, however there are additional considerations to take into account.

With the pilot injection, we already have a main event which fires at or after TDC, and continues to spray in fuel while the piston is moving down. This is a sure recipe for toasty EGTs and smoke. The question then becomes how much extended duration, before things get really hot. Quite frankly, not much. At least not much without a healthy schwack of timing advance. As it is, TST's box needs about 12 additional degrees of advance to simply build 100 HP safely.

Depending on pulse width increase of course, a duration box without timing is liable to cause more failures due to heat than any aggressive pressure box.

Just my couple o' devalued Canuck pennies to throw into the mix.

Rod
Old 04-07-2004, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PUSH ROD...what you are bringing up is exactly why I asked my question a couple posts above. I would have thought that the new VA box would be DURATION AND TIMING. Is TST then the only box that modifies these two? Any quess as to why the new VA box is only doing duration, or is there an outside chance the new VA does indeed do both?

Quick Reply: fueling box summary -- new VA box shipping now