3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Fuel economy modules

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:41 AM
YFZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel economy modules

although I hear reports of the Edge EZ improving mpg, I'm not a fan of it since I'm told it increases the injector pressure and cracks some injectors. I was then told that the Edge Juice box changes the duration and timing, and not the fuel pressure.

I also hear lots of good things on here about the XZT box once the dielectric grease is applied to the disconnects. Ok, after that it seems like a good box, but I also see that one of the parameters of the XZT is fuel pressure increase. Have there been any problems with cracking injectors with this box?

...and lastly I hear lots of good things about the Xzillaraider Race box, although I just read that some lose .5mpg with this box, but gain all kinds of power

So, to recap...the Boxes that are still on my list are:

Edge Juice
Quad XZT
Quad Xzillaraider Race

so, if not any of these, what would be a good box for mpg economy? right now I'm getting around 10mpg when towing...and 17-19 unhooked
Old 07-21-2005, 03:58 AM

I would not expect a fuel mileage increase w/ a performance box. Be happy if you get one, just don't expect it......
Old 07-21-2005, 04:40 PM

I'd agree with Dodgzilla, don't expect the mileage increase. That being said, I'm showing a solid 1.5mpg gain while empty with my Qzilla standard box (mostly on 60hp setting) and closer to 2mpg gain while towing.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:23 PM

Hey now, I'm trying to convince my wife by justifying the economic need.. Please....I need a box..
Old 07-21-2005, 05:35 PM

I havent been seeing any increase until about the last 4 tank fulls with my Ramifier - I usually run it in off position and have been getting in the 19 range but, for some reason the last few fill ups I have been getting 20.5, 20.8, 20.3, and 21.2 (HAND CALCULATED - I wouldnt trust that computer as far as I could throw it). I dont understand why it has gotten better except I have been doing a little more highway driving than usual. I am with Dodgezilla, if you get more power and dont LOOSE any mileage then its all good . Tell the wife whatever she wants to hear.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:03 PM

My last few tanks of fuel have averaged about 1.5 mpg better running on the 60 hp mode (hand calculated) driving normal...if I get the need for speed and really start putting it to it...well I think we all know the answer to that.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Chapter President

I'm getting 1-1.5 better mileage with my Zilla standard box. A lot happens with style of driving and fuel additive.

Jamie
Old 07-22-2005, 10:43 AM

mpg

i had a xzt or towing box on my dodge and saw 1.5 to 2mpg increase in mileage i recently installed the race box on the first tank i saw no increase but most of that was in town 05 dodge 3500 6 spd i have two friends xzt,s for their 7.3 fords both reported 2-3 mpg increase with hwy driving for mileage i would reccomend the xzt.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:52 PM
YFZ

Well thanks, I installed just installed the XZT w/ dielectric grease. The XZT is a fixed setting box so I just put the box under my hood with a couple of sandwich bags and zip-ties to keep the rain out...the box was mounted vertically with the zip-ties below it. Is this a bad idea? If so where's a good spot in the firewall to pass the 1" wide connector that can be resealed easily?

also, should disconnect it when towing until I get an EGT guage? The Toyhauler weighs 5000 and loaded will be around 7500 pounds...
Old 07-25-2005, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by YFZ
Well thanks, I installed just installed the XZT w/ dielectric grease. The XZT is a fixed setting box so I just put the box under my hood with a couple of sandwich bags and zip-ties to keep the rain out...the box was mounted vertically with the zip-ties below it. Is this a bad idea? If so where's a good spot in the firewall to pass the 1" wide connector that can be resealed easily?

also, should disconnect it when towing until I get an EGT guage? The Toyhauler weighs 5000 and loaded will be around 7500 pounds...
Under NO circumstances should you ever put the module under the hood. There was a little yellow sticker expressing the concern of installing the module under your hood that you had to remove to install the module. Also it is in the instructions. Technically if you have a problem we tell you that we will not honor the warranty if you do this. We tried to make it as clear as possible.

If you will read the instructions there is a description and a picture of where to pass through the firewall.

If you are going to be pulling gauges are highly recommended.

Get that box where it was designed to live, in the cab!

Quad
Old 07-25-2005, 10:24 PM
YFZ

well Quad, it's a good thing it's been sunny out I actually got the module used and the sticker wasn't there...

Looks like the instructions are included and intact; I'll go put
'er in the cab tonight...

Thanks Quad

------------------------------------

UPDATE!! the box is under my dash