3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

FRUSTRATED! Completely Starting Over, Ideas Welcome...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006 | 05:59 AM

Nobody,its already been said,but if you get a chance call Relentless Diesel or email Chris.He has a great list of parts for the common rail.You might not need new parts,maybe a good 3rd gen shop could look at it tell what the problem is.A blown releif valve could cause all the problems your having now.I was a second and half off at the track when mine was blown.
Old 07-25-2006 | 07:01 AM

Yep, dump ats and call chris @ relentless diesel.
Old 07-25-2006 | 11:08 AM

Yea, thanks. I did replace the relief valve once. It has a rail cap on it now.
Old 07-25-2006 | 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by nobody
Yea, I'm guilty, I didn't do my homework. I jumped in head first. And now I'm paying for it
Lessen well learned.... sorry it was so painful. We've all done the same in different areas... no?
Somewhere above... great advice.... start with stock baseline #'s and add ONE THING at a time. Evaluate that one thing and than add another!

Takes a little longer that way but works best!

Good luck - RJ
Old 07-25-2006 | 12:35 PM

Well, you would think that the guys at ATS Diesel would have all the parts balanced to work well together. One thing I never liked about speed shops back when I was drag racing was that they all just want to sell you parts regardless of if they think it's gonna work for you. I understand that that's why you are in business but making an unhappy customer by selling him many thousands of dollars of parts that don't work well together is just going to hurt you in the end.
I used to run a 10 second all steel body (except hood) 68 Road Runner. I had lots of tricks inside the engine but not much money at all in HP parts. Maybe $1000.00 tops and that included the Power Shot NOS system. Anyways, one of my neighbors had this sweet 68 Torino 428 Cobra that looked and sounded awesome. He worked at a speed shop and had access to all the parts he needed as it was a Ford based perf shop. Well, we finally lined up at the track after a couple of years and I layed a smackdown on him that you wouldn't believe. He was so mad because of all the stuff he had in his car and I was running a stock 10-1 block, stock 915 heads, and just a big Direct Connection hydraulic cam (533 lift). The moral is that you would think that by working in that shop that he would have put together a better combination of parts. I mean, that's what they do!!!

OK I'm done......

Did I mention that I used to have a fast car?????
Old 07-25-2006 | 05:37 PM
Banned

I've seen full ats setups on MANY MANY trucks and they work great, i dont know what the problem with your truck is but ATS has great products, and ive seen ats equiped trucks make great power.
Old 07-25-2006 | 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by acook
I've seen full ats setups on MANY MANY trucks and they work great, i dont know what the problem with your truck is but ATS has great products, and ive seen ats equiped trucks make great power.

Hey man, I saw your truck in Greeley (sp?), Colorado a couple months ago. It was really awesome and your truck looks good. I've read about a lot of trucks with ATS products that work great, also. Your brother's powerstroke is pretty insane. I am curious how that set of twins you have are going to work. Those are really great pics in your gallery. That looks like a nice setup.
I thought I read where you did your tranny. What parts or whose did you go with? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2006 | 06:45 PM

Yeah, Dodgezilla - it's not the $, but what you're doing with what ya got...
we always ran Pontiacs (I still have the '65 GTO I bought in 1981) and they ran pretty hard. I've spent plenty of dough on the goat, but the 10,000 + man-hours I've poured into it did quite a bit more than the $$$.

Stuff like my tri-power nitrous setup wins at the cruise-ins and bench racing, but not necessarily in the stoplight wars....
Old 07-25-2006 | 08:44 PM
Banned

Hey man, I saw your truck in Greeley (sp?), Colorado a couple months ago. It was really awesome and your truck looks good. I've read about a lot of trucks with ATS products that work great, also. Your brother's powerstroke is pretty insane. I am curious how that set of twins you have are going to work. Those are really great pics in your gallery. That looks like a nice setup.
I thought I read where you did your tranny. What parts or whose did you go with? Thanks.
Thanks for the compliment, was that at the island grove sled pull by any chance? Where you pulling? You must be getting brave to compliment a ford on here I havent done my tranny yet its going to be hopefully sometime this week, and it will be ATS since we know alot of the guys their and their so close. Ill send you a pm about the twins.
Old 07-25-2006 | 10:13 PM

Not sure what the name of the sledpull event it was, but yes, it was my first time to pull. That stuff (sled pull) could be addictive! I'm sure by now everyone knows about your brother's truck since the last Diesel Power issue. I would personnally compliment that truck whether it was here (this forum) or anywhere! Is that your motivation... to outdo your brother's truck? Sounds like you are putting together a really nice setup. Good luck and hope everything works out.
Old 07-30-2006 | 01:57 PM

starting over?
Old 08-03-2006 | 03:53 PM

Yes! I am still trying to gather up the stock parts and pieces. Looking for a stock cp3 now. Hope to have everything back together real soon. Just want to start from square one before I install new parts. Thanks, John
Old 08-03-2006 | 05:56 PM

Yes! I am still trying to gather up the stock parts and pieces. Looking for a stock cp3 now. Hope to have everything back together real soon. Just want to start from square one before I install new parts. Thanks, John
I have a few stock parts laying around the garage, turbo, down pipe, air intake, etc. Let me know what you are looking for. PM if interested, I am in Houston.
Old 08-03-2006 | 06:18 PM

im not sure, but does ATS have a commonrail that is competitive? i know they have a million dollar duramax that runs 11.70s, but i haven't heard of a commonrail.
Old 08-08-2006 | 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by greyrig05
im not sure, but does ATS have a commonrail that is competitive? i know they have a million dollar duramax that runs 11.70s, but i haven't heard of a commonrail.
Duramax's are common rails So I guess you answered your own question.

Pardon my cheap shot, I couldn't help myself

Quick Reply: FRUSTRATED! Completely Starting Over, Ideas Welcome...