3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

FRUSTRATED! Completely Starting Over, Ideas Welcome...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006 | 11:06 AM

I think if you read back in the post he has done that already
Old 07-24-2006 | 11:33 AM

abc4yew- Man, I sure appreciate the advice. That's along the lines of what I'm thinking (kinda what I had in mind).

genros- "Out with the bad in with the good"- EXACTLY!!! Thanks man, I am going to put a system together that will DANCE. I'm going to spend every extra minute reading and talking to people with tried and true systems. By the way, I listed a few of my big items in the classifieds on this site.

cquestad- "This is not to start a bash-athon...but to only to figure out what's going on." - That's not what I want either, because I could go OFF! Plus I still have a few friends at ATS. ATS Race truck... (24 valve) hasn't been to the track in over three years. It made one sled pull this year and went less than 200 feet. Truck is broke, now. Now Clint's daily driver is a LBZ. His race truck is a LB7, it made 640+ hp on his dyno (so I'm told) and made 880+ hp at May Madness. It may be stronger now, he added compounds and a few other things. My truck may be hurt now, but prior to the current setup, w/ just AFE/exhaust/BDDL/BDTD the truck went 13.55's at 100mph. So I wouldn't say it was a lemon. There are too many problems to list so I'm prepared to move on. Good luck with your truck and thanks for your input.

stang- Thanks, I do plan to back to stock and bring it up slowly. I just need to make sure the motor's not hurt. It shouldn't be.

Pantera- "You seem to have the "cream of the crop" as far as parts go"- that was my perception, too, at the time. My twins only made 48 psi of boost at best. Talked to two others with twins and 48 psi was consistent with theirs. I have had tons of input from others on how to make it right. I'm just movin' on. Thanks man.
Old 07-24-2006 | 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by stang
I think if you read back in the post he has done that already
Guess I missed it. I just figured if you buy all of ATS's top of the line parts then whoever installed them should not have stopped until they were tuned correctly. D.Wiggs needs to read this thread cause he just purchased the ATS twins.

It sounds like a lemon or some sort of electrical problem. Something isn't getting the info it should. 500hp is just too low for that setup. It has to be a problem with one part not all of them. This is frustrating me and it isn't even my truck. I can't believe they haven't found the problem in 7mo of testing. Maybe starting over is the way to go.

Sorry you've had so many problems. Maybe you should start with one piece and get it working the way you want and move on to the next. Maybe the 3rd gen electronics are that screwy.
Old 07-24-2006 | 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by nobody
abc4yew- Man, I sure appreciate the advice. That's along the lines of what I'm thinking (kinda what I had in mind).

genros- "Out with the bad in with the good"- EXACTLY!!! Thanks man, I am going to put a system together that will DANCE. I'm going to spend every extra minute reading and talking to people with tried and true systems. By the way, I listed a few of my big items in the classifieds on this site.

cquestad- "This is not to start a bash-athon...but to only to figure out what's going on." - That's not what I want either, because I could go OFF! Plus I still have a few friends at ATS. ATS Race truck... (24 valve) hasn't been to the track in over three years. It made one sled pull this year and went less than 200 feet. Truck is broke, now. Now Clint's daily driver is a LBZ. His race truck is a LB7, it made 640+ hp on his dyno (so I'm told) and made 880+ hp at May Madness. It may be stronger now, he added compounds and a few other things. My truck may be hurt now, but prior to the current setup, w/ just AFE/exhaust/BDDL/BDTD the truck went 13.55's at 100mph. So I wouldn't say it was a lemon. There are too many problems to list so I'm prepared to move on. Good luck with your truck and thanks for your input.

stang- Thanks, I do plan to back to stock and bring it up slowly. I just need to make sure the motor's not hurt. It shouldn't be.

Pantera- "You seem to have the "cream of the crop" as far as parts go"- that was my perception, too, at the time. My twins only made 48 psi of boost at best. Talked to two others with twins and 48 psi was consistent with theirs. I have had tons of input from others on how to make it right. I'm just movin' on. Thanks man.
My last was before I read this. I think you are on the right track. Start from the beginning. Maybe ATS isn't all it's cracked up to be? I'm eager to see what you decide to go with for your "re-build" good luck.
Old 07-24-2006 | 11:53 AM

What did you break in your transmission? Any other problems or dislikes with it?

What fueling combinations have your tried? Levels? Specfics?

Are you slow to spool becuase of TM, no boost no fueling syndrome, turbo lag, overfuel....????

There are so many questions to ask...to get an idea what is going on.

There are many people with your exact setup making the numbers. It makes no sense.

Sometimes less is more.
Old 07-24-2006 | 12:02 PM

Nobody, There are guys on here with single Aurora 5000's makeing way over 60psi peak...pressure is one thing but volume is the other.....sounds like you aren't getting either. I did a 1/3 fuel run last night and I pegged the TST boost gauge to 40 at about 2400rpm, then dropped to 27psi. ks
Old 07-24-2006 | 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
What did you break in your transmission? Any other problems or dislikes with it?

What fueling combinations have your tried? Levels? Specfics?

Are you slow to spool becuase of TM, no boost no fueling syndrome, turbo lag, overfuel....????

There are so many questions to ask...to get an idea what is going on.

There are many people with your exact setup making the numbers. It makes no sense.

Sometimes less is more.

There were issues with the trans and TC.The most recent build was late in the month of May. Seems decent now, just hunts a little between 1st and 2nd. I'm sure that it is an easy fix w/ a little valve body tuning. My personal opinion is that the torque converter left a lot to be desired. Shifts weren't very positive, either. I'm basing this off of my original setup. I ran a quad lock converter from a smaller company in AZ (Roadrunner) and one of HTS's original valve bodies (which he has vastly improved on since then). That was almost two years ago. My brother-in-law has one of DHAWK's latest and greatest race tranny. Compared to what I have and what he has (trans), it is apples and oranges, night and day, black and white. His HTS tranny was worth half a second on his truck at the track. He went from 13.50's to 13.00's. He maybe could have gone faster but he popped his plactic end cap on the inter cooler.

I've tried all combinations for fueling. Wouldn't even know where to begin to tell you which one worked best. I am going to sell a lot of these programmers, also. I tried TM IN and I've tried TM OUT. Helped spool up a little. Still seems pretty pathetic on spool up. Again, based off of what my bro-in-law has, some secret turbo he purchased from Extreme Truck and Trailer in Michigan (not sure if they are a vendor/sponsor of this forum- don't want to get anyone in trouble) it is some sort of B1 style turbo. It spools and pulls harder than mine ever did.

"There are so many questions to ask...to get an idea what is going on."- It's going to be hard for me to answer a lot of these questions w/out making this a BASH FEST. I do want to help and share my experience, but my intent is to gain as much info before deciding on a new setup.

"There are many people with your exact setup making the numbers. It makes no sense."- I know that there are a lot of people w/ more diesel knowledge, experience, and patience than me. I hope someone like that ends up w/ some or all of my parts and makes tons of power out of it (and lives happily ever after! )

I said it before and I'll say it again, i just don't want to be any part of that. It just didn't work for me. Also, I am wanting to sell these parts and I will tell the truth when asked in person (about these parts). I have no secrets about this, it's just that w/ the negative stuff that I know, I could get banned from this forum, possibly all forums, and maybe even the diesel world.

Man, i appreciate your concern. I hope your truck does everything you want it to. I hope to experience that someday. Thanks again. nobody
Old 07-24-2006 | 01:05 PM

i feel your pain but you will be happy when you start over...you are getting good advice...i just hate when i see in someones sig ats...ats...ats...ats etc nothing against ats i just think mixing a matching parts with these 3rd gens is the way to go..

with that said IMHO you cant go wrong with injectors-donm, flooritdiesel-cp3fuel, lift pump-walbro pump stuff, turbos-HTT or Industrial, tranny- suncoast,goerend,DTT (FWIW I have had 2 bad experiences with a certain company and wont go there again). electronics tst,mp8.

that being said i have started over 4 times
Old 07-24-2006 | 01:39 PM

Try pulling a few things off the truck and get back on the dyno...or use seat of the pants to tell. Try just the TST twins and a MP-8...even if it is almost off...since you have the cp3 mod. And make sure that FASS is working or get a different pump...a Walbro. I am not sure how intregrated it is into the ATS CP3 mod...but the Walbro is a better pump than the FASS.

If you can't make 600 hp with that combo...something is wrong.

Relief valve? Could be that simple.
Old 07-24-2006 | 02:42 PM

I would like to give chris at relentless a plug too. I know that he has some third gen clients making some good power. He built my tranny and it has been flawless. I was very impressed when I talked to him and spent the day at his shop while he built my tranny. I am not sure where benton la. is but willis tx. is 30 minutes north of houston and a drive over might be worth the trip to let him look at what you have.

Brad
Old 07-24-2006 | 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by bchesley
I would like to give chris at relentless a plug too. I know that he has some third gen clients making some good power. He built my tranny and it has been flawless. I was very impressed when I talked to him and spent the day at his shop while he built my tranny. I am not sure where benton la. is but willis tx. is 30 minutes north of houston and a drive over might be worth the trip to let him look at what you have.

Brad
If you havent done this yet it would be my first move. He's doing amazing things with his parts/knowledge. Plus he's in TEXAS
Old 07-24-2006 | 05:54 PM

Seems like a bunch of very knowledgeable guys responding here so I have a question on the modded CP3 pump. Can it be used with my measly 95gph FASS or would I need the 150gph?
Also, I'd at least keep that pump. You know you're gonna need it once you get the truck right....

Sorry to hijack, Nobody. I thought Nobody would care if I did it...
Old 07-24-2006 | 08:05 PM

Yea, I tried pulling a bunch of parts off and I even tried the 5000 turbo by itself which spooled up a lot faster than the twins (made just over 40 psi). How much better is the mp8 than other pressure boxes? Will it be a cure-all?

I hear a lot of good things about Relentless, along with a lot of others. Just haven't had the time to call yet.

Dodgzilla- The ATS cp3 was originally sold to me with a FASS 95. I ended up with a FASS 150 as part of the hard start fix. I plan on selling the FASS 150, too.

Yea, I'm guilty, I didn't do my homework. I jumped in head first. And now I'm paying for it (20k). I'm also guilty of putting my trust in the wrong people and I got taken advantage of. I'm guilty of wanting to be a part of something big and so I jumped on the bandwagon. Not that I wanted to get off the bandwagon, I feel like I was pushed away. So I am movin on. Someone else can use these parts and hopefully have better luck.
Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2006 | 10:14 PM

hang in there..... bump.......
Old 07-25-2006 | 01:05 AM

Relief valve? Could be that simple
I'm just a newbie, but a lot of guys have had trouble with the relief valve and after they plugged it or replaced it, their truck ran great again. Couldn't hurt to look into the relief valve in all of your lookings

Quick Reply: FRUSTRATED! Completely Starting Over, Ideas Welcome...