3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

FRUSTRATED! Completely Starting Over, Ideas Welcome...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006 | 03:46 PM

Unhappy FRUSTRATED! Completely Starting Over, Ideas Welcome...

I'm very unsatisfied with my truck's performance, reliability, and driveability. I am now to the point where I am wanting to sell EVERYTHING and start from scratch. I've learned my lesson but I've come too far to quit now. The money from selling my current setup will fund my new setup. Hopefully this will happen soon. Really need something positive out of my truck because it's been way too long. Given the money spent + the outcome = !!! I really don't want to dwell on the negative, I'm just ready to move on. I'm asking for some ideas and/or direction for my new setup. Drag Racing is my thing, I just want to go fast. I've seen horsepower #'s that are very impressive but I still question the difference in hp #'s between different dyno's. Not quite sure how all that works.

This is what I have in mind-
*HTS full billet race trans (brother-in-law has one and is Edit incredible!)
*Big Single Turbo
*Injectors
*Cam
*Floor-it cp3
*Possible head work (port/ polish)
*Hopefully there is enough fuel for a little Nitrous!

Like I said, I just want to go fast at the track. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Nobody
Old 07-23-2006 | 04:04 PM

Nobody, What are you dynoing and getting at the track for times? What reliability problems are you having? ATS is improving their twins as we speak to spool faster. Is your FASS a new motor/new tblock version? I think you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. When you change everything it is hard to get it properly tuned overnite. ATS has trucks running over 1100hp so they have some goodies to make you roll. How much time have you spent at the dyno...considering you have been box shopping alot? I know a guy with an '05 modded similar to yours and he only dynos at about 550 yet he wins all the sledpulls against trucks that dyno 200hp higher. Give us more info and we'll try to help you get closer to where you want. ks
Old 07-23-2006 | 04:08 PM

Man! Sounds like you have done all the right things. You just need to spend some time getting everything in-sinc for max power.....
Old 07-23-2006 | 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
Nobody, What are you dynoing and getting at the track for times? What reliability problems are you having? ATS is improving their twins as we speak to spool faster. Is your FASS a new motor/new tblock version? I think you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. When you change everything it is hard to get it properly tuned overnite. ATS has trucks running over 1100hp so they have some goodies to make you roll. How much time have you spent at the dyno...considering you have been box shopping alot? I know a guy with an '05 modded similar to yours and he only dynos at about 550 yet he wins all the sledpulls against trucks that dyno 200hp higher. Give us more info and we'll try to help you get closer to where you want. ks
My best #'s were around 500 hp. 13.26 in 1/4 mile. Fueling problems- YES. Spool up problem (slow). Maybe an older FASS 150, not sure. Throwing codes and on and on. "properly tuned overnite"- It's been a LONG seven months to get it to this point. A LOT of dyno time, a lot of sad nights at the track, a lot of tow truck trips back to the shop or home, and on and on . Like I said before, at this point, I am starting over. I am completely frustrated and I appreciate all of your guys help and concern. I just need to start fresh and don't want to be a part of any of that (current setup.) Yea, I went box shopping, I was desperate... looking for an answer that i couldn't get. And "I think you are throwing the baby out with the bath water."- The bath water is making the baby sick! Thanks for your input. What do you think about my ideas on the new setup?
Old 07-23-2006 | 04:56 PM

simple, get a reg cab 2wd and prostreet it!
Old 07-23-2006 | 05:12 PM

ive been there through all of nobodys problems. all 7 months january thru july. i can say he has stuck with it longer than i would have. hes tried for 7 months to put a complete run together and hasen't been able to.(long story, really long) hopefully he can start over and build one bad 3rd gen. ill be there with him for the long hall.
Old 07-23-2006 | 05:15 PM

nobody,

Man I dont really know what to tell you because Ill be honest Im still in the learning process.

All I can tell you is what I've done.

Like you said the HTS tranny is INSANE. Its great. Without it I would go nowhere.

I personally (and I might be wrong) think sometimes the problem is guys do so much at once that they don't have a clue what is helping or hurting. I do 1 thing at a time (as funds allow) and if it works, great.

Im sure some say my HP number or my time slips don't match what I have done to the truck and I would have to agree. It makes NO sense. I think it's just finding the sweet spot.

Just keep at...
Old 07-23-2006 | 06:58 PM

Ive been selling and installing Diesel performance for about 6yrs ( easy stuff chips, exhaust, exhaust brakes, gauges etc) since 2000 i have had 11 dodges from 2000 to 2006, 3 chevys, 2 fords,(all diesels) i have chipped them all and experimented with every chip available. What i am saying is i know fast trucks and good Work, if you want a fast reliable dodge (and money is no option), call Chris at Relentless Diesel in Willis, Tx he knows Dodges better than anyone i have ever dealt with. He does it all his web address is www.relentlessdiesel.com
Old 07-23-2006 | 09:15 PM

Nobody, I've typed you a full page twice and have lost it twice offering you advice......you are cursed and I'm going to get out of this post before your karma kills my laptop and truck . The mods proposed look good. Good luck unloading the stuff that your truck didn't like. ks
Old 07-23-2006 | 11:01 PM

abc4yew, Thanks for trying, anyway. Other than this truck, I feel like I have pretty good luck (karma). You mentioned 1100 hp trucks... not sure who you are talking about, can you give me anymore info on those? Just curious, that's all.

gassucks, thanks to you, too. I'm going to be calling a lot of people starting Monday. I'll be sure to give Chris at Relentless a call, too.
Old 07-24-2006 | 12:12 AM

Nobody, the last time I talked to the guys at ATS about head porting they said their truck did something like 950hp at 117psi boost and with the head ported and bigger valves and no other changes it did over 1100 at 97psi.

I'd go with either a Suncoast full comp or HTS Race if you are done with ATS. If there is a good installer for DTT around your area that is another good choice with full OPIE shafts.

After the tranny, do your mods one at a time....Get a Stage 2 or 3 cp3 from II or Floor-it....whoever has the best references. At the same time get a billet camshaft done....like a Helix 2 or 3 with faster stronger springs.

Once those mods are done go with the latest TST and bigger injectors.

Now your ready for a turbo like a Silver bullet or something from HTT.

Finally get a stack for the TST that works with your setup.

Porting the head is the last mod for ringing the last bit of performance out of your setup.

Good luck and I'm sure your Karma is ok since on the third quick try it worked. ks
Old 07-24-2006 | 06:09 AM

Out with the bad in with the good. The way i see it you have two choices. You can go the road of many differnt inputs of info (internet pages like this) they are helpful but keep in mind you have to build a system. A system that lets everything dance well together, otherwise you have a bunch of items that more or less have two right feet. (you been there now) Or talk to one of many good diesel guys. They all seem to have a good working system that can pull the 600 or 700 hp to get nice track times. After you talk/interview one then call another. I have found that most tend to agree with one another. I know of Browns diesel out west (runnin single turbo 900 hp trucks)
Timinva (on this sight) has some nasty nasty trucks with some killer assemblies (he did my trans and helps me anytime I call) wealth of knowlege. Mass diesel has some crazy hp trucks. Talk to DHAWK at HTS he has tried and true 1/4 mile systems and if you like his trans he is a shoe in. There are many many more that I have left out. No hard feelings, I just listed the ones I had on the tip of my tongue. Good luck. Make sure you let us all know when you are ready to sell stuff
Old 07-24-2006 | 10:20 AM

The ATS race truck (24 valve) makes 1150 hp lat time I saw it...120 psi boost. Clint's daily driver (Duramax) makes 880-900 hp.

Something is not adding up...

I make power than you with just the 5000 and my fueling package (no injects or cp3). Maybe your turck is just a lemon?

What "problems" have you been facing? This is not to start a bash-athon...but to only to figure out what's going on.
Old 07-24-2006 | 10:33 AM

I would go back to stock and make some dyno runs see what kinda power it is making before I would do anything. with the Trans you have in the truck now. Maybe the problem is in the Trans??
Old 07-24-2006 | 10:38 AM

We are all wanting to know what went wrong. With those parts you should be at like 700 or so(based on others in this forum). You seem to have the "cream of the crop" as far as parts go. Those twins are supposed to put out over 100psi boost. Maybe you should take your truck to a different installer and see if they can tweak it to your liking or find out what the problem is.

Quick Reply: FRUSTRATED! Completely Starting Over, Ideas Welcome...