3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

front wheel bearings '05 ram 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front wheel bearings '05 ram 4x4

Just wondering if anyone can give me the scoop on changing out the front leftsealed bearing hub assembly on the '05 ram 4x4. Also, wondering if there is any insight as to why a sealed bearing assembly would go bad with only 48k on it or is this normal.
This doesn't look too hard to change out, but before I start, any tips from you guys. torque settings etc.
Also, can I expect to be doing the other side soon? $475 each , ouch!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 PM

Planning mine as well i made it to 69k, get a set of debris shields for the brake rotors, if you dont need them they are returnable but you probably will. if you deal with salt in the winter plan on a full day with just hand tools, chisel in between the bearing and the mount worked for me when i had to change out the u joints, those might need replacing while your in there.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 PM

It kinda figures that i replaced both front u joints at the begining of the summer now my drivers side bearing has a little play, guess thats just how it goes.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:04 PM
BPM

Location: Shreveport LA for 10 days at a time, Groveton TX the rest
I changed the right front hub bearing on my 03 and all together is wasn't that bad. The only thing I did do though was break my Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet on the main hub nut. I mean it sheared the end right off of it. It finally took me and my friend and a 4 foot cheater bar to break the nut loose. The hardest part there is trying to keep the hub from spinning while trying to break the hub loose. I wound up leaving two studs in the hub and wedged a bar between them and binded it against the ground. It did bend the wheel studs but since the hub assembly itself comes with new studs it didn't matter.
Other than that and a can of WD-40 it went pretty easily. The whole thing from taking the wheel off to putting the wheel back on took maybe an hour and a half. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 PM

When you reinstall the new one use plenty of never-seze in between the hub and the knuckle assembly. If the factory would only do that when they assemble them things would come apart so much easier. I just had both of mine off because I put in a front e-locker, they came off ok and I was able to save the rotor covers. But that would be a good back up to have a new set if needed. Also when mine was apart I cleaned, blasted and painted it all before it went back together, no more rust!!

Dustin
Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 PM

Mine didn't want to come off. If this is the case with yours you can get a socket with the right size extension that you don't like and leave it on the head the bolts after you back it out a ways. Then start your rig and turn the wheel to press the hub out. Make sure you are pushing on the bolts as straight as possible. The socket and extension allows you to do the job by yourself. If you have someone to help you can use something else. Be careful it may take alot of pressure to press them out.