3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

FP Guage Electrical or Mechanical

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Guage Electrical or Mechanical

Is one more accurate than the other what is the positive and the negative?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:18 PM

Electrical negative = cost
Mechanical positive = cost

I picked mechanical. There are more parts to get and tubes to run, but it's still less money.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 PM

Go mechanical, the kind w/o an isolator. As long as you use a nice braided stainless line and steel fittings properly sealed you won't have a problem with leakage. It's not dangerous like gasoline leaking into the cab, but it would still make a mess in a hurry.

Autometer says the electrical job shouldn't be used with the Cummins but I don't know why. Maybe it rattles the sender apart?

Andy
Old 04-06-2006, 09:26 PM

I use electrical, and they are maybe a shade cheaper than the mechs. They are Dynotune guages, one is square and the new one I just added is round. The square I used in my 2nd gen and she's still working flawlessly today. Its about 1"x1 1/2" and mounts nicely in the bottom left of the guage cluster. The round I just mounted in the tripple pillar. The rounds you can get black or white faces with chrome, black bezels. PM me for a link if you want to check them out.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:57 PM

Autometer says the electrical job shouldn't be used with the Cummins but I don't know why.
Me neither... been running their 30psi electric FP gauge for about a year now, and no problems. I had a mechanical gauge, with an isolator, and grew tired of having to re-fill the anti-freeze, because the isolator kept on leaking. No way would I ever run a non-isolated fuel line into the cab - I don't care how "reliable" the fittings are.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:21 PM

When we were testing for our electrical gauge we also ran into a few failures with a standard duty electrical fuel sender. The Cummins is the only engine it failed on. It took over 20,000 miles to cause it to fail though. When it failed it still read ok, but anytime there would be a big change it would cause the numbers to go all over the place and then it would settle down.

Evidentally the pressure senders work off a wiper inside the gauge. This is the part that fails.

We switched to a severe duty unit that has the wiper blade isolated. This is the same sensor they use on Siesmigraph machines or however you spell that. We have not had one break yet, they are a little more expensive, but that was ok as long as they don't break!