3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

FOX 2.0 shock stabilizer .....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOX 2.0 shock stabilizer .....

ok, this may be a dumb question but... I don't work on shocks.

What is the best way to compress the shock ? IIRC, it has 22psi of nitrogen in it and if I let it out I have none to replace it with.

I'm really not that wimpy a person but, when trying to compress it... I can't get it to move... period ! any suggestions ?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turn the wheel till it lines up on fully extended???
Old 03-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
turn the wheel till it lines up on fully extended???
It's not on the truck yet. that's what I'm trying to do but, I need to compress it to do that. It won't mount being extended because of the clamp hitting the pumpkin.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tritont
ok, this may be a dumb question but... I don't work on shocks.

What is the best way to compress the shock ? IIRC, it has 22psi of nitrogen in it and if I let it out I have none to replace it with.

I'm really not that wimpy a person but, when trying to compress it... I can't get it to move... period ! any suggestions ?
22 psi is really low. You should be able to compress it. If you install the frameside first. Then just compress it and put the clamp on. Also I think there should be 4.5" of shaft showing when you clamp it up. Some trucks the clamp will slightly rub the pumpkin. I know my KORE Race S/S did. Won't effect a thing.

You want to charge the stabilizer w/ 200 psi then test it out. If your drifting to the left. Then carefully let a second worth of nitrogen out. Then test drive again to make sure enough is let out to steer straight (or close to striaght).

I imagine there is a motocross/atv shop around your area to get nitogen for the S/S.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by firemansdiesel
22 psi is really low. You should be able to compress it. If you install the frameside first. Then just compress it and put the clamp on.

You want to charge the stabilizer w/ 200 psi then test it out. If your drifting to the left. Then carefully let a second worth of nitrogen out. Then test drive again to make sure enough is let out to steer straight (or close to striaght).

I imagine there is a motocross/atv shop around your area to get nitogen for the S/S.
wow, that sounds like a lot. I could have swore Don told me 20 to 22psi was optimal... I may be wrong. In a small cylinder like it is... 200psi seems way to high ???

I'm very rural so nope... no shops like that around ( 2hrs away there is )

guess I'll keep trying. I did mount it on the frame side and gave it every thing I had and it doesn't budge. Before going to a breaker bar of some sort though... I figured I'd ask here about it.

Thanks for the input
Old 03-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

I know Don ships them out at 125 psi. The 2.0 or higher nitrogen shocks are usually rated up to 280psi (roughly).
Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 PM

200psi does seem WAY high...I barley run that in my 2.0 fox air shocks...and they hold my jeep in the air at that psi!!

I have a hard time believing that you can accurately measure the psi by seconds..shoot you cant even read the psi on my airshocks cause when you do you let to much psi out..you set the regulator to the psi you want and if that does not get you what you want you have to deflate it and recharge it with more or less nitrogen.

mount the clamp side first then turn the wheel maybe???

sorry I have never mounted one of dons stabs so I am just throwing ideas out there
Old 03-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned

200psi does seem WAY high...I barley run that in my 2.0 fox air shocks...and they hold my jeep in the air at that psi!!

I have a hard time believing that you can accurately measure the psi by seconds..shoot you cant even read the psi on my airshocks cause when you do you let to much psi out..you set the regulator to the psi you want and if that does not get you what you want you have to deflate it and recharge it with more or less nitrogen.

mount the clamp side first then turn the wheel maybe???

sorry I have never mounted one of dons stabs so I am just throwing ideas out there
I am not saying to measure the psi w/ seconds. I'm saying that all it takes to let little out w/o draining the nitrogen out of the body. Doesn't take much. My shocks run 200 psi on all four corners along w/ 150 psi on my S/S.

The best way to install it. Is let all the nitogen out, then refill it. Since Triton will have a hard time filling it back up w/ no shops around. Install the frame side first. Get the measurement w/ the shaft and at the same time as compressing the shaft then put the top clamp over the bottom and tighten down.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 PM

I thought they had to be charged with the shaft fully extended??
Old 03-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Banned

Crank the wheel all the way over to the driver side and charge. Fully extended.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by firemansdiesel
Crank the wheel all the way over to the driver side and charge. Fully extended.
now I am confused as to why he cant install it charged if you can do this?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:53 PM

Even at 125 p.s.i. you should be able to compress the shock. Sometimes it hangs up a bit when fully extended. When I did mine I bolted it to the axle mount, bolted up the steering mount, then muscled the shaft onto the mount.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:57 PM

No, they don't. It's much easier to charge the cylinders after the shock is installed.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:03 PM

can you get the schraider valve kits for them to use a little hand pump on? on the toys with these air shocks they are shipped with nitrogen, but if you let them down on the trail and want to stiffen them back up as conditions change you cant. so they came out with a valve stem kit and you can use air.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gotspeed?
can you get the schraider valve kits for them to use a little hand pump on?
I know Powertank has different kits for that.

Quick Reply: FOX 2.0 shock stabilizer .....