3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Flux 1 versus Flux 2 differences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flux 1 versus Flux 2 differences?

I'm looking for some solid, technical answers to the following questions:

1) What's the difference with Flux 1 and Flux 2 apart from the HP rating?
2) Wouldn't a Flux 1 still run good with a modded CP3? I have the Industrial Injection 3-flows (90 HP honed) and am stuck at 596 HP - after this I lose rail pressure.
3) Is the Flux 2 tailored to run with the modded CP3 as well as the timing and duration boxes like the Flux 1 was designed to be? I.e. spray angles, etc...

As you can read into my questions I'm looking to try a different injector. Note that I don't drag race or sled pull so it's not about all out HP for me.

If I can make the same 596 HP or more, but do it less smokier, less EGT, and possibly better mileage then I am sold.

Will the Flux 2 do this for me? Or would I be better served with the Flux 1?

I was thinking about the smaller Flux 1 to gain more adjustability and rail pressure back.

However, if the smaller injector forces me to run higher duration to get the same fuel in as the bigger injector then that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:47 AM

private message or maybe they will chime in, TIMINVA, DOn M
Old 12-16-2006, 12:45 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 40HP Flux 1 should add some additional peak power over your current 90HP honed injectors. Typically 30-50HP over anything honed. Your BD twins are smaller than some of the bigger sets, so I would think that 20HP might be the most, but since you dyno so much we will all know pretty quickly exactly how much (:

The 1's were tuned to a stock CP3. They are small to help keep the rail pressure up. The 1's have a stock injector static flow rate. But add 40 HP over stock injectors in any set up from stock trucks to heavily modded.

EGT and smoke will drop. Perhaps as much as 250 degrees over honed. Cruise EGT and EGT rate of climb drops. Hill climbing, light to light, etc the smoke drops.

Idle quality will be very good. Honed idle quality is good as well, but for a different reason than Flux 1's.

A honed 90HP injector will feel more powerful in the middle range with the same TST, pressure, and DL settings because they are smaller. But this is cured with higher settings to get the mid power back. You will have the ability to run higher peak power and turn it way down to have smoke and EGT lower than stock injectors.

Mileage? I dont think you will lose any, but may not gain any either. Some guys swear improved mileage and some say they get less. I dont know the explaination of the desparity. Tire size, driving style, tire inflation, all play a part though. During extensive mileage tests and trying very hard to keep everything equal, we gained .5 MPG over a honed 90HP injector.

Flux 1's can be upgraded to a Flux 2 at any time as well. So if you went to dual pumps or a stage 2 single pump, you could for nominal charge have us make them into Flux 2's. Even to Flux 3's or the 4's on the horizon.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:55 PM

Don-

Thanks for taking the time for the detailed reply. It's much appreciated! Some more questions:

The 1's were tuned to a stock CP3. They are small to help keep the rail pressure up.
I guess we could infer that the 1's were indirectly tuned to a modded CP3 too?! The stock CP3 with pressure box will do the same pressure as a modded CP3. The only difference would be that the modded CP3 will hold that pressure longer.

The 1's have a stock injector static flow rate.
Does this mean the 1's have the same nominal flow rate as stock injectors if you were to put them on a test stand under equal testing conditions?

Honed idle quality is good as well, but for a different reason than Flux 1's.
Is this because the honed flow more, but inject the same amount of fuel in less time, whereas the 1's are more tuned for spray angle?

Flux 1's can be upgraded to a Flux 2 at any time as well.
Would this be done by honing or exchange?

but since you dyno so much we will all know pretty quickly exactly how much (:
...can't wait for the year-end bonus!
Old 12-17-2006, 11:50 AM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by JStieger
Don-

Thanks for taking the time for the detailed reply. It's much appreciated! Some more questions:

I guess we could infer that the 1's were indirectly tuned to a modded CP3 too?! The stock CP3 with pressure box will do the same pressure as a modded CP3. The only difference would be that the modded CP3 will hold that pressure longer.

Does this mean the 1's have the same nominal flow rate as stock injectors if you were to put them on a test stand under equal testing conditions?

Is this because the honed flow more, but inject the same amount of fuel in less time, whereas the 1's are more tuned for spray angle?

Would this be done by honing or exchange?

...can't wait for the year-end bonus!
Sure, the modded CP3 will work very well with as the stock CP3 would.

Yes, side by side on a "proper flow tester" they will flow the same amount in a static condition. Many an aftermarket injector company is using ultra low air pressure to gage the flow rate of their nozzles. LOL. We all know that 50 -100 PSI of air pressure is NOTHING like real world that can be as high as 27K and up of liquid Diesel fuel.

If you went from a F1 to an F2 we would use a combination of EDM and EH to get the flow rate higher with the same nozzle. The F1, 2, 3 and 4 are all the same nozzle, but with differnet hole sizes.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by JStieger
However, if the smaller injector forces me to run higher duration to get the same fuel in as the bigger injector then that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?
You know I am starting to think the way to go is to get the biggest Flux injectors that your CP3 can handle... I would rather have fuel in early from a bigger squirt than alot of duration...

Heck I can still maintain 27k RP on level 7, But yet does not feel more HP and the EGT higher. Almost like the injector keep move enough fuel (hence why the RP stays up)

BTW - some I know, (*cough*red-ram-with-black-stacks*cough*) has a tenetive appt with Floor-it diesel to get some Hellfires and a stage 2 (or more)
Old 12-17-2006, 12:28 PM
DTR Advertiser

Sweet Tomey! By the time you get there, the 4's may be ready. Im still working out some ballistic stuff, but it is really close.

Sure you dont want two pumps??
Old 12-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Banned

You're stuck at 596hp because you have an 03. Its really hard to break into the 600's and alot of 03-04 guys seem to hit a barrier at 550-599 hp.

Out where I live 598 hp is very respectable and have only seen one truck w/o NO2 break into the 600's and it was a D-max. Its probably just bad dynos because everybody was seeing low #'s.

Anyways I think that unless you're ready to take the next big step in fueling you should keep your current setup until you're ready to get into CP3 mods like stage 2 or higher, and anyother new goodies that will soon come out like larger rails, lines, ect. There's alot of new developments comming out very soon and im just sitting back and waiting to see how they all work out before I take my next big step.

I wouldnt hesitate to get a set of Don's injectors since he's an awesome guy, busniess man, and innovator when it comes to his injectors.

BTW Don what is the HP rating on your new Flux 4's and will you see the same gains on a 03-04 vs 04.5+ and will a stage 2 CP3 keep up with the flow on them.

Thanks

Dan
Old 12-17-2006, 04:12 PM

You know I am starting to think the way to go is to get the biggest Flux injectors that your CP3 can handle... I would rather have fuel in early from a bigger squirt than alot of duration...
I totally agree... but if I have no intention of upgrading my CP3 then there would be no point in running even bigger than my current 90 HP EH with 100 HP EDM - I would just run out of fuel faster and lose even more box adjustability. That's why I think I'll start smaller...

You're stuck at 596hp because you have an 03.
Life's not fair! Little Dan, you bring up some good points in your post to put things in perspective.

If I can make the same 596 HP or more, but do it less smokier, less EGT, and possibly better mileage then I am sold.
I think I am basically sold!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:33 AM

There are 03-04 truck that make big power...

Reb's truck? LOL.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:57 PM

it is funny to me to see people say the 03-04 motors have a hard time making hp vs the 04.5 and up....wheres reb. yea its easier to get hp from the start but the kind of power we are talking about it d/f ie pumps,injectors,twins etc. reb made over 800 with a so
Old 12-18-2006, 02:07 PM

Barry @ NADP is running big power from his 03 dually. He wont say how much, but the low 11's kinda tell the story

Kevin
Old 12-18-2006, 02:19 PM

Julius...you came to Meridian again and left before I got to the dyno day!
What was up with your numbers?

IMHO...stay with Flux 1's unless you get a Stage 2 or bigger CP3. You are running out of fuel with your Stage 1 and the "bigger" EH injects...
Old 12-18-2006, 02:37 PM

Julius...you came to Meridian again and left before I got to the dyno day!
Yeah...sorry about that. I had to do the Christmas shopping thing with the wife in Boise. I went back later that day, but didn't see anyone I knew so I left.

What was up with your numbers?
It's the Smarty. Whenever I have it stacked I lose 50 HP on the top end, but gain 100 ft-lb of stump pulling torque in the 1800-2400 rpm range. Only if I could have the 50 HP on the top end and extra 100 ft-lb on the bottom end...
Old 12-18-2006, 02:41 PM

Its not the Smarty then...it is the EH injects and the Stage 1! LOL...

I bet you can have both the top end and the bottom end with the Smarty in the mix with "proper" rail pressure management.

I am banking on it.

Quick Reply: Flux 1 versus Flux 2 differences?