3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

First tow... now the upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First tow... now the upgrades.

Well, I got a chance to test out the Cummins for real this last week on a camping trip in Idaho. We towed my new (to me at least) '87 ,23' Collins 5'er from Seattle, Wa to Avery, Idaho. I haven't had a chance to weight the trailer yet, but I'm guessing fully loaded it's around 7000 lbs.

I averaged just over 11 on the Freeways at between 65-70 mph and 13 on the 55mph hi-ways... I'm happy with that. The passes are a bit steep and the truck did just fine, being able to maintain 65mph with no problems... though I'd drop it from 6th into 5th to keep the rpm's up and EGT's at 1000-1100 degrees.

I'm running mostly stock right now with the only mods being: Straight pipe, AFE Pro7, Boost and Pyro.

Sitting next to me right now are a new Torque Tube and the Xzillaraider race (60, 100,140). I'm excited to see how the thing performs

Lenny over at Dynomite Diesel did the install of the guages and offered to give me a free run on their Dyno to see how the box performs... They didn't have the right guages in stock when I had the install done so he put in temp guages for my tow and will swap them out when I get a chance to get over there... thus the free dyno for the troubles. BTW, they have a very nice shop over there with some dang nice trucks around! Good guys, too.

I'll post an update when I get the install done for both empty and towing.

-Jeff
Old 06-23-2005, 08:35 PM

Where are they at? I don't get up that far north to often. Usually don't go past Puyallup.

Kris
Old 06-23-2005, 11:42 PM

Dynomite Diesel is located in Monroe Washington. I have their web-page book marked at work and will post it tomorrow... unless someone on this site beats me to it.

BTW, I installed the Torque Tube and Xzillaraider Race after work tonight (still need to get the switch mounted and find a suitable place for the box -- ideas for both anyone?) and SOP feel is pretty darn good. I didn't get a chance to test it anywhere that will allow me to really get into it... but I'll post results and thoughts when I do. I'm hoping to get out with the 5'er this weekend to do some fishing and I think that will really tell me how this box performs.

-Jeff