3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

First Mod. Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:41 PM
dgm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Mod. Suggestions

I'm so pumped about having my new CTD and can't stop looking at diiferent modifications. So, I'm already up to my eyeballs in options...and no money!

Suggestions for my first mod? Programmer, Chip, Exhaust, intake?? It will probably be awhile before any further mods can be afforded...so the most bang for my buck on this first one is what I want....

thanks,
d....
Old 03-07-2005, 09:30 PM

gauges, exhaust, then a box. i got the box first, then exhaust, and im getting gauges soon. i kinda screwed up but ill be ok.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:33 PM
dgm

Why Guages first? And whats a box? Computer?

thanks,
d
Old 03-07-2005, 10:07 PM

you could just get the bully dog downloader with the outlook moniter and get the gauges and power all at once. aparently you can make your own intake and just take your muffler out for that extra air that you will need.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:11 PM

gauges gauges gauges, u need to monitor what your truck is doing. this is to catch a problem before it happens. a box is a performance module, chip, things like that. gives more power and such, there are tons of different ones out there just have to search around a little. and like the other said, u can do some home modifications to your airbox and muffler, but if u dont like it real loud you can get a straight through muffler gives the same performance as straight pipe but tones down the sound... search on that too, lots of info. and last WELCOME ABOARD! you will love your new truck, but u better hold on to that wallet!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:08 PM
dgm

Hmm? Well, thanks for the info. With using something like the bullydog programmer, are intake and exhaust mods a must? And when you say, "monitor what your truck is doing," what exactly are the guages telling you that the stock system doesn't? I'm just curious.

Oh, and I'm already loving the truck! I took it on a 3hr highway trip today for business and loved it on the highway. The blindspots are a little different than my old Ram, but lov'n that diesel.

thanks,
daniel
Old 03-09-2005, 05:19 PM

the exhaust temp tells you how hot the exhaust gasses are either before (pre-turbo) entering the turbo or after (post-turbo) entering the turbo. the Turbo boost tells you how much boost in P.S.I. your turbo is pushing. this will help find leaks and what not. and then the transmission temp tells you how hot the transmission fluid is. usually before reaching the transmission cooler. you can also get a fuel pressure gauge which tells you what the pressure is... The main thing you will want to get (especially when adding some sort of performance enhancer) is an EGT gauge... hope this helps

*someone correct me if im telling any of this wrong
Old 03-09-2005, 05:23 PM

most important thing to watch is the exhaust temps
too high .....and well it can get expensive

boost pressure is good to watch.
lets you know if there is a boost leak, and other things related to adding power over stock levels
here again, too high .....and well it can also get expensive
too low ... well somethings not working right

fuel pressure is also important
the lift pumps are not exactly up to the task if you add more power
not enough fuel pressure, you will starve the high pressure pump of not only fuel but cooling and lubrication

if you have an auto , tranny temp is important to watch, especially towing loads

theres 4 gauges that are important that the stock system doesnt address
Old 03-09-2005, 08:02 PM
dgm

Thanks for the info! I think I may lurk around for awhile and learn a bit more before adding any power. ...its not like I need to add anything to whats already there just to pull my 6000lb. boat. but, that temptation to add more is always there! To be quite honest, I'm quite impressed with the power it has stock.

One more question; does adding power/performance enhancing stuff void warranty?

-daniel
Old 03-09-2005, 09:11 PM

modify and you become your own warranty station. you break it you fix it

I started of by beefing stuff up. transmision upgrades and exhaust and intake was going to do fuel first to but alas was at a get together and some guy was selling downloaders there and programed my truck. Huge difference throttle response there right now and the smoke
Old 03-09-2005, 09:24 PM
dgm

Razor... nice looking truck. I like those guages you have there too. So, will any mod. void the warranty? Or...some that won't.

thanks,
daniel
Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 PM

even if the modification doesnt cause the problem they might void your warranty. talk to your dealer and see if they will void your warranty just for having an aftermarket item on your truck, if they are cool about it thats a plus, but if the higher ups find out about it you may not get your warranty resolved. Im mainly reffering to your drivetrain.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:43 PM

It all depends on your dealer. Some are great and let you get away with a lot but in the end if an after market might have cause the problem then most likely you will have to pay for it yourself. In the end you just have to be resonable if you blow up your tranny cause you were putting 500 hp threw a stock trany then yeah it would be unreasonable for you to expect warranty. But on the same hand they can't expect that if a pitman arm goes they can't void the warranty cause you have an after market exhaust.

thanks dgm, I like it, the gauge is a bd x- monitor and is a very nice addition.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:21 AM

1st mods? It depends what you want to do w/ the truck.

In my case, the stock truck has plenty of power for now. I do alot of off pavement driving and 4 wheeling to get to the areas I want to go. I haven't done any mods yet because I still saving up $$ but I want to get a rear locking diff when it's available, a power wagon style skid "plate" setup and a winch bumper. Also since the rear diff only gives us 7.5" clearance (ridiculous) I'll have to go to larger tires and probably some kind of suspension lift..
Old 03-10-2005, 08:10 AM

Razor, what kind of gauges are those on your pillar? Are you happy with them, also how was the installtion?

Quick Reply: First Mod. Suggestions