3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

finally working on train horns

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
finally working on train horns

Ok, so I finally was able to go to the local metal shop and get some steel to mount the horns. I fabbed up the mount and now working on mounting the tank to the truck. Need to still mount the horns to the truck as well but hope to have a ton of it done this weekend.

Here is the horn mount so far. I love my plasma cutter!

Old 12-01-2007, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where did you mount your tank at?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:53 PM

Sweet keep the pics comming,send sound vid too.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Chapter President

will take shots of everything. I have bulkhead fittings for the air line thru the cab at the firewall, mounted the air tank in the spare tire location. room enough for 2 tanks off a semi under there. Am going to keep my eyes open for another tank so I have more than enough supply for the horns, pac brake (when I buy it), airing up a tire and possibly run an impact if needed. Looking at the Viair 100% duty cycle 110psi compressor.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Banned

if you are going for more than 5 gallons of air tank, go with the viar 380c kit, those others may be 100% dutyr cycle, but trust me, I burned up one and finally figured out why after talking with a viair salesman. Hornblasters.com sells the 380c dual kit for not toooooo much money, and with my 8.5 gallon tank they work awesome. my compressors are in the truck tool box, tank under the rear bumper/ spare tire location. Fuse slot key on pwr only feeds the relays, with an interrupt switch in the cab.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Chapter President

do you remember what you paid for it?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 PM

Looking good! I also just finished my dual semi truck air horn setup a few weeks back. I just wish I had a plasma cutter. It took me close to 3 weeks, working on it off and on. Anyway, good luck with the installation.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Chapter President

Get ready to giggle!! Took the kids after I got done (1030pm) and went out near the base in an industrial area. Had my nephew yank the cord a couple times while I shot the video from my cell phone. Pretty darn loud for only 1/4" air line. bought a horn valve at the local freightliner dealer and had to use 1/4 since it was. Bought bulkhead fittings and augered a couple holes in the firewall to run the lines cleanly. Used blue line for supply and the black goes to the horns. I saw that Dwiggs had his horn cord thru the knee bolster so I "benchmarked" his idea ( THANKS WIGGS!) Now I have to get a swedge and make a loop for my Peterbilt key chain to hang.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Chapter President

Here is the video clip.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:33 AM

looks good man!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Chapter President

look sweet
Old 12-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Banned

Jumped up Johosafats man... Your kilin me smalls... THat is deafening!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

nice job Chris. I've had a set sitting on my garage floor for months now I need to get installed. The whole hold up has been some sort of mounting plate like you put up. I don't want the bolts through the bed and without that plate, it's the only way. I should get off by butt and get it done.... the looks on peoples faces is worth the work

The cable switch is a cool idea too :-)
Old 12-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Chapter President

That was the biggest thing for me too. I did not want any bolts coming thru the bed and I was racking my brain to come up with something simple. Since I quit smoking 10 days ago, I was getting frustrated! LOL!! I cross drilled the cross member under the bed and used stainless 3/8 eyebolts and drilled the mounting plate and sinched er up. I think I used a whole tube of locktite on all the fasteners! carrage bolts where I could (to make it really friggen hard to steal and probably make it really hard for me to get them off!)
Old 12-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by tritont
nice job Chris. I've had a set sitting on my garage floor for months now I need to get installed. The whole hold up has been some sort of mounting plate like you put up. I don't want the bolts through the bed and without that plate, it's the only way. I should get off by butt and get it done.... the looks on peoples faces is worth the work

The cable switch is a cool idea too :-)
Bout time u got off your rear. Got access to a metal shop next to the house if you get bored one day give me a shout. Need to put the pull cable above your head like a semi. Oh next time you come to Dillard wave at the guy in the four door flatbed.

Quick Reply: finally working on train horns