3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Finally finished AirDog 100 install

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AD 100 bracket

Hi Mark, I am getting close to installing my AD100, did they/you change the mounting bracket ? the one I got from you is like the one in his picture. I like the style that must be like the raptor where it runs along the frame rather than 90 deg. to it. I can mod this one if I had a picture/drawing.
Thanks, Mike Bruns

PS, I have been watching some of the changes to the pick ups and installs, I like what I see so far and the results sound good too.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rush Rider
Hi Mark, I am getting close to installing my AD100, did they/you change the mounting bracket ? the one I got from you is like the one in his picture. I like the style that must be like the raptor where it runs along the frame rather than 90 deg. to it. I can mod this one if I had a picture/drawing.
Thanks, Mike Bruns

PS, I have been watching some of the changes to the pick ups and installs, I like what I see so far and the results sound good too.
Mike send me a PM with your info and I will send you one....
Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by garbri
pearce,

how did you tap into the stock return line?

garrett

The stock fuel system on the 04.5 truck has a retun to the fuel tank from the engine already. I didn't change that part of it. The Airdog also has it's own return which goes to the filler neck. From what I understand the 100 does not draw enough to empty my 04.5 in tank sump which is kept full enough from the stock retun line. So the stock return to the tank will work just fine. When you go up to the 150 is when you have a problem because I think you have to use a draw straw that does not take from the sump. It might be a while before I get down below 1/4 tank (live close to work) but I will post here if I have a problem. Not to mention I don't like having to fill up a tank of diesel thats below 1/4, the dang pump shuts off before I'm done!
The only other problem with that is I was already having a problem with my engine cutting out when I was around 1/4 tank on the stock pump. I figured my stock pump was starting to go. So if I have the problem again I am tempted to think it's something else. LOL

Originally Posted by 06RAM2500
Run a little smoother?
You know I think it might. I never really thought it was that rough to begin with. I'm really used to a Jeep I6 (I've had 3) and they have never really been that smooth after 100,000 plus miles. The Jeep I have now sorta rattles like the CTD till it gets hot
Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 PM

If you saw how much fuel the AD100 pumps you'd be surprised, it's a lot and drained my canister easily. Do you have a FP gauge Pearce?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:31 AM

Not yet. Just the rail pressure from the Quad. I want to get one but I've got some Jeep parts I need to get before my next trip to Moab.
I can live with refueling before a 1/4 tank for a while if I need to. Besides the Titan and D-max's I'll be towing out to Moab with don't have as big of a tank as we do anyway, and I'll have to stop.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
If you saw how much fuel the AD100 pumps you'd be surprised, it's a lot and drained my canister easily. Do you have a FP gauge Pearce?
fisherguy,
Did you actually have stalling issues when your canister drained, or were you seeing gauge fluctuations?

garrett
Old 07-23-2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by garbri
fisherguy,
Did you actually have stalling issues when your canister drained, or were you seeing gauge fluctuations?

garrett
No, like I said in my thread, if I didn't have a FP gauge I would not have known things were not what I wanted.
The AD would pump away, I had good pressure until the fuel level got below the top of the canister which for me was a little OVER Ľ tank. When that happened the AD would keep pumping with it's excess fuel going into the tank through the filler neck, eventually the canister would empty, my FP gauge dropped to zero but the engine would not stall cuz the CP3 would draw from the AD filter (which is between the actual AD pump and the engine). Eventually the engine return would fill up the canister enough for the AD to pump again, my FP would jump up again and this would repeat.

While experimenting I had the canister in a 5 gallon pail of fuel while hooked up to the AD and the engine return pumping into it, I was surprised the amount of fuel the AD100 pumped, it drained the canister pretty quickly even at only an idle while the engine return was a little trickle, no way it could keep up.

When I put it back together after my canister mod I had about an inch of fuel in the tank, my FP guage never moved from 17 psi, after having my tank out 5 times I was pretty happy about that!
Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the explanation, fisherguy.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you bypassed the OE filter bowl?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 PM

(If you're asking me)
Yes after getting advice from folks here.
Only concern I have about that is losing the heater but again, most people here say not to worry about it, many of them from areas way colder than here.
If I have problems I can always plumb it in though...
Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
(If you're asking me)
Yes after getting advice from folks here.
Only concern I have about that is losing the heater but again, most people here say not to worry about it, many of them from areas way colder than here.
If I have problems I can always plumb it in though...
The reason I ask is the filter that Air Dog uses for fuel water separation doesn't filter out any emulsified water and only 50% of free water... no where near enough nor near what stock does (98% free and 95% emulsified)..
Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ah64id
The reason I ask is the filter that Air Dog uses for fuel water separation doesn't filter out any emulsified water and only 50% of free water... no where near enough nor near what stock does (98% free and 95% emulsified)..
Didn't know that, where's Mark or Charlie when you need them?!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to clarify for the record, I did not touch anything inside my tank, just put the quick connects on and after 15,000 miles now have had no problems with my pump. I run my truck to the bare minimum to get my hand calculated mileage, I'm talking within 10miles. The truckperforms flawlessy, and my FP gauge always reads 14-16psi. Fresh fuel filter now and draind the water canister. I am completely satisfied for my behalf, but It does seem to be a problem on the 05 and up, and seemed to be directed to the AD150. Never thought it was affecting the AD100s.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
I run my truck to the bare minimum to get my hand calculated mileage, I'm talking within 10miles.
Why does running it to empty make a difference?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I get the most mileage on the trip rather than estimating it. Guess I'm just picky, and I like to see if that problem would occur. Like I said, it doesn't.

Quick Reply: Finally finished AirDog 100 install