3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Finally finished AirDog 100 install

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally finished AirDog 100 install

Finally I finished the install. It took me 3 tries for various reasons due to Murphy’s Law , but I got it done….. I hope. It's actually a simple install, I just had a few problems. Hopefully these pictures can help those with an engine mounted fuel pump and a SWB truck. They may have changed the mounting bracket since I got mine early this year but I had to flip it over and redrill holes in order to get the pump in a location between the t-case and fuel tank and also not have the trucks existing brackets in the way. I was going to cut and reweld the Airdog bracket and mount it parallel with the frame rail (like several others had) but after mocking it up that way with a buddy it just wasn’t going to work any better for me. My only other major issue was attaching the AirDog fitting to the CP3 and then attaching the 90 degree elbow to the CP3 fitting tight enough so it does not leak. During the second go around of installation I sheared the fitting that goes into the CP3, that freaked me out! But not to worry the sheared piece backed out very easily. AirDog has been suppling a new version of this fitting thats stronger since I first got mine. So the third time around I got a stubby wrench and held the CP3 fitting in place as I tightened down the elbow to it. I think I got it. My only problem during the weekend after install was the stock fuel line which is just pushed to the side was leaking a lot of fuel. I had not drained the stock fuel canister completely and I think that was my problem, so I drained it last night. We’ll see today how it goes. There have been no leaks while the pump primes or while the truck is idling so I figure it has to be fuel leaking out the disconnected stock line.
I think this needs to be my last mod for a while. Every time I put something new and cool on the truck I have some sort of issue. It’s like the truck is telling me “leave me alone the way I am” LOL But hey, I can’t help it. At least the Jeep still enjoys me cutting it up.

There are a couple more pics in my album.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah its not a bad install. I also left my old lines inplace, just screwed them off on the ends and they are fine now.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 AM

Is that the only way to mount it? It looks like servicing the transfer case would be a pain. My Amsoil bottle wouldn't fit up there with that bracket in the way. I guess I would have to use a pump...
Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 PM

Unless they are making a new bracket or you want to cut and weld it, then that's pretty much the only way. Replacing the t-case fluid is not somthing I do that often so as you mentioned it will probably have to be done with a pump.

Now, you can always mount it somewhere else on the truck. I've seen one pump outside the frame rail just in front of the drivers rear wheel well. but that takes some fabrication to do.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sell all my Airdogs with Raptor mounts...makes for a MUCH cleaner install.....
Old 07-21-2008, 01:20 PM

thats the only thing I didnt like about mine was the bracket. I took mine to the local machine shop and had him make me one and mark sent me the raptor bracket also.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Looks good, nice too see a fellow DTR member from roswell
Old 07-21-2008, 06:18 PM

did you install a draw straw, or are you using the stock tank pick-up tube?

garrett
Old 07-21-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by garbri
did you install a draw straw, or are you using the stock tank pick-up tube?

garrett
Good question. I am looking to buy this same pump and don't want to drop the tank or pull the bed myself. I would like to know if there is any drawbacks to using the stock pick-up also.

Side note: any of you vendors that sell the Airdog 100 PM me a quote!

Wood
Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM

Hintz, yes very cool to know your around. I'd be glad to give you a hand on your rig sometime. Looks like you are a little ahead of me on the fun stuff and I could learn from you. I know one day I'll be working on the injectors but that will be a while longer.

If you have a motor mounted fuel pump you should not need the draw straw for the 100. I am using the stock tank pick up tube and the stock tank return line. So fuel is flowing the same way it did stock but it's being moved by the Airdog. In addition to that the AirDog 100 returns to the the stock fuel filler tube as you can see in one of the pics. It's just spliced in. The Airdog itself has a return and there is a return from the CP3 back to the tank via the stock retun line. You can also see that in the pic where I show the AirDog connection to the top of the tank, that pic is in my album.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 PM

If you plumbed your AD return line to your filler tube you may have problems when you get down to 1/4 tank...
... or at least I did anyway, this is how I got around it by plumbing the return to my Liberty canister (although your canister is different):
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=208226
Old 07-22-2008, 01:20 PM

fisherguy, isn't that problem more of a 2005+ issue? I was told by pureflow that it wouldn't be an issue on my truck.

garrett
Old 07-22-2008, 01:50 PM

pearce,

how did you tap into the stock return line?

garrett
Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by garbri
fisherguy, isn't that problem more of a 2005+ issue? I was told by pureflow that it wouldn't be an issue on my truck.

garrett
I'm not sure. If I didn't have a FP gauge though I wouldn't have known there was a problem. In my case the AD was pumping out more than was being brought into the canister. Soon as I brought the AD return into the canister all was well.

I asume Pierce ran his AD return into the filler neck but am not sure. I think his engine return is the stock one he says he kept.

BTW, if anyone gets an AD like 53willys says, order it with the Raptor mount so it sits perpendicular with the frame. Then, if you mount the AD backwords (with the label towards the frame), 2 0f the 3 hose will be pointing in the right direction, the only one you need to 180 is the AD return as you can see in my thread or 53willys.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Run a little smoother?

Quick Reply: Finally finished AirDog 100 install