3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

A few questions for those with 6"+ lifts

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions for those with 6"+ lifts

I guess I should start off by giving all the info on my current lift. It's a 6" Fabtech lift with the standard white body shocks, 4" blocks in the rear, and Carli mini-packs.

I just got a chance to put some good highway miles on the truck with the new lift and I've got a few questions.

First off around 65 mph I start getting a vibration from what feels like the front of the truck. The Fabtech kit came with a trans drop bracket but I still think the vibes are coming from the front drivershaft. Would getting a high angle driveshaft be the best thing to do? Or should I try using a transfer case indexing ring in addition to the drop bracket?

The other problem is what really bothers me. When I get up to higher speeds (like 75+ mph) the steering does not feel right at all to me. It gets to a point where it is hard to keep the truck in a straight line or almost in my lane for that matter -- seems like the truck has a mind of its own. The closest thing that I can compare it to is a trailer fishtailing. You get that sense of "no control" for a couple seconds and that's what I am feeling. I had a Thuren track bar on the truck and sold it with my other lift so I had the factory bar put back in with this lift. I had a 5" lift on the truck before and it was fine at high speeds so I know it's performed correctly in the past.

Any info, opinions, or insight would be great because I really would like to get this fixed. I don't like getting the feeling of "no control" when doing 80 mph down the highway.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Anyone?

Bump to the top........
Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 AM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think if you vibe is coming from the front driveshaft a set of lock out hubs would fix that and maybe help with mpg, though they are pricey.

Did you put a trackbar drop bracketin with you new lift? If not I would certainly think that is not helping your steering issues. I am no lift guru but have installed several lifts and I would think Dons track bar would be a nice addition to any lift.

Did you install a longer pitman arm?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by wap
I would think if you vibe is coming from the front driveshaft a set of lock out hubs would fix that and maybe help with mpg, though they are pricey.

Did you put a trackbar drop bracketin with you new lift? If not I would certainly think that is not helping your steering issues. I am no lift guru but have installed several lifts and I would think Dons track bar would be a nice addition to any lift.

Did you install a longer pitman arm?
A set of lockout hubs would be awesome but I don't know if I want to go that route yet.

A longer pitman arm and a trackbar bracket was installed so I don't think either one of those is the culprit. I've wondered if the factory bushings in the track bar could be worn or something. Just not sure.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:07 PM

Had the same issue...I have the TC drop and my dealer changed my u-joint and a new driveshaft all under warranty lol. Doesnt happen any more.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
A set of lockout hubs would be awesome but I don't know if I want to go that route yet.

A longer pitman arm and a trackbar bracket was installed so I don't think either one of those is the culprit. I've wondered if the factory bushings in the track bar could be worn or something. Just not sure.
Did you get your truck from King in Valley?

We have done a lot of business with them and I have never had an issue with my dodge but with my ford they always took care of my stuff under warrenty. It was lifted and had some mild hp mods but balljoints, hubs and everything else I broke on it all got fixed for a small deductible, if not for free.

SO, if you think it could be a U joint or bushings it may be worth it to ride down that way and see if they can help you out.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by wap
Did you get your truck from King in Valley?

We have done a lot of business with them and I have never had an issue with my dodge but with my ford they always took care of my stuff under warrenty. It was lifted and had some mild hp mods but balljoints, hubs and everything else I broke on it all got fixed for a small deductible, if not for free.

SO, if you think it could be a U joint or bushings it may be worth it to ride down that way and see if they can help you out.
I have a feeling that the vibrations are definately from the front driveshaft. Some guys have 8" of lift and claim they have no vibrations and some have 4" of lift and claim they have vibrations. I know I had vibes with 5" of lift so I may be one of the unlucky ones. I guess I just need to remove that and confirm it.

I didn't get it from King but I sure wish I did. They have been one of the best dealers that I have ever done business with. I've used them a couple times while I was in there for service and had absolutely zero problems so I may end up taking it back there if I don't get another track bar. I think that may be my steering problem because there are too many trucks out there with 6"+ lifts that have no issues.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:37 PM

My revtek also had the drive shaft vibration also. I sold the lift to fix the problem
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by mudder500
........I sold the lift to fix the problem
I guess that's one solution that'll definately work!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 PM

Worked for me!! Wish i would of bought a turbo instead!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Where are you located?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 PM

Alabama

Sometimes in Auburn and sometimes in Florence/Muscle Shoals
Old 09-21-2008, 05:56 PM

I think I have figured this problem out and got it solved. I haven't had any time to put some more highway miles on the truck to make sure yet due to work but I'm hoping to this coming weekend.

The drop bracket that was installed for the track bar has two bolts that attach it to the frame; one through the original track bar location and the other is bolted vertically through the frame. The vertical bolt was cross-threaded very bad and there was nearly a 1/4" of bolt between the bottom of the nut and the frame so I believe it was letting the bracket move back and forth. In my opinion it would move the worst when the truck "jumps" when topping a hill and that is when my truck seemed to "lose control".

Hopefully this was the problem and sorry for being a little long-winded. Just wanted to give a good description of what I found in case this problem arises again in the future......
Old 09-21-2008, 06:08 PM

I had the same prob when trying to run the 2" leveling spacer with my 5.5 lift, major death wobble , took the spacer out re adjusted the bottom control arm and all has been well, hope u get it taken care of, ( wife wouldnt drive it till i fixed it,,,,, maybee I should have left it that way)
Old 09-24-2008, 02:10 AM

Just curious did you get this fixed? Looking into a 6" kit, but don't want one if it's going to cause vibration issues.

Quick Reply: A few questions for those with 6"+ lifts