3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Fast Clutch??? 6 or 12 button??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wap
I dont know if or why they would make em but if you could get Peter to make you a 6 FB with a 4200lb plate load, I dare to say you could not slip it with an empty truck in 3rd gear.

I dont build more than 5lbs of boost but I can power brake my truck in 3rd on dry pavent with no clutch slip, but I do have the 12 cb.

My next tires will be 35x12.50s and I will see if I can powerbrak 4 of them, slip the clutch or bog the motor down.
You can slip any of the dual disc as much as you want.....its called the clutch pedal.

You guys are mixing intentional slippage/wear with holding power which is two different subject.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peter makes a 3850 DD 6 button that is recommended for drag racing with a 750hp rating.
I told him I was shooting for 700hp and he told me to get the 3600 6 button solid hub for quick shifts. he said the 3850 would have too much "flex" like I said before I don't know if he meant it would have to much "flexplate" meaning to much holding power=slower shifts or what???
after talking to him I don't think the 6 button clutch is going to have a hard time holding power at all..if it has been tested to hold 650hp or 750hp then that is what it is rated at right.
Banshee told me he has 100-150 drag passes on his HMR Drag and it never slipped once. Banshee's numbers.....592 rwhp #2, 677 rwhp w/ N20
12.68 @ 109.5 MPH, 1.75 sixty
just his sig alone should be proof the 6 button can handle some hp and slam some gears
I must give credit where credit is due...cause I know the driver has A TON to do with the times also...nice job Banshee
who knows
Old 09-28-2007, 06:17 PM

How does banshee leave the line?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:42 PM

Good thread. I am hoping to be comfortable doing 3rd gear clutch dumps in 2x4 with my 35'' tires and the 3250DD. I wonder if it is best to leave in 3rd gear to slip my foot offthe clutch or pull my foot up fast.

Thanx.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 PM

I have done a 3rd gear launch once with the HMR street drag. I used the 2foot, 3 pedal method to build boost and it came out of the hole like a slingshot. It was not as violent as a 2nd gear launch but it definitly did not bog the motor at all. The clutch did not slip at all once it was fully engaged.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:21 PM

I have both the HMR Street Puller and HMR Drag Twin. I would definately go with the street drag the steet puller would break things on the drag strip and is not a very fast shifter. It can be driven on the street but the drag twin is more streetable.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SlowSixSpeed
How does banshee leave the line?
REally fast and a lot of boost!!!!! I have seen his vid's
Old 09-30-2007, 11:40 PM

I think this truck was a manual. Anyone remember this. Its a few years old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-My8xflhc
Old 09-30-2007, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
REally fast and a lot of boost!!!!! I have seen his vid's
yeah I would like to see his vids...gotta link???

Originally Posted by SlowSixSpeed
I think this truck was a manual. Anyone remember this. Its a few years old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-My8xflhc
Dang thats fast
Old 09-30-2007, 11:49 PM

That video was friggin' awesome.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:13 AM

I launch in 2nd gear at the drag strip with around 15psi of boost built. Anymore than that it I spin all 4 which just slows the truck down. Right heel on the brake, right toe on the throttle, left foot on the clutch. Stab the brake, toe the engine over on the governor (3400 rpms) and start letting the clutch out to build boost. With my setup it'll come up fast, so I don't slip it for a long time. The HMR Street Drag used to be a 10 puck/pad unit, but they have changed it to 6 pucks now. A larger number of pucks will be a little smoother, but tend to release/shift slower. The 10 pad units were quite small and light, and they were about the same weight as the new 6 pad discs. You could easily change between a 6 and 12 puck disc with the way the HMR is setup, but can't say the same for the SB (Can't say meaning I don't know if you can or not... ). I have done a couple of 3rd gear launches, but I think they are extremely hard on the clutch, so I typically don't do them. My 60' times with my launch are typically in the 1.7 second range. I have never slipped the clutch from overpowering it at all... even when at WOT in 6th gear with 12,000 lbs behind the truck. I fully rebuilt it after 40,000 miles for half the cost of a new unit. That included 2 new discs, new pressure plate, having the floater and flywheel blanchard ground (locally), new pilot bearing, and new throwout bearing. Any more questions feel free to ask!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by banshee
I launch in 2nd gear at the drag strip with around 15psi of boost built. Anymore than that it I spin all 4 which just slows the truck down. Right heel on the brake, right toe on the throttle, left foot on the clutch. Stab the brake, toe the engine over on the governor (3400 rpms) and start letting the clutch out to build boost. With my setup it'll come up fast, so I don't slip it for a long time. The HMR Street Drag used to be a 10 puck/pad unit, but they have changed it to 6 pucks now. A larger number of pucks will be a little smoother, but tend to release/shift slower. The 10 pad units were quite small and light, and they were about the same weight as the new 6 pad discs. You could easily change between a 6 and 12 puck disc with the way the HMR is setup, but can't say the same for the SB (Can't say meaning I don't know if you can or not... ). I have done a couple of 3rd gear launches, but I think they are extremely hard on the clutch, so I typically don't do them. My 60' times with my launch are typically in the 1.7 second range. I have never slipped the clutch from overpowering it at all... even when at WOT in 6th gear with 12,000 lbs behind the truck. I fully rebuilt it after 40,000 miles for half the cost of a new unit. That included 2 new discs, new pressure plate, having the floater and flywheel blanchard ground (locally), new pilot bearing, and new throwout bearing. Any more questions feel free to ask!
Thanks for your help John.....got any drag racing vids of your truck??
I would love to see some of your runs
Old 10-01-2007, 12:13 PM

This is the only one I am aware of. This wasn't a boosted launch, though. By wicking the throttle (revving up, letting the revs drop, revving up again) I can built 7-8 psi of boost with the clutch disengaged. The current technique results in a better launch if you can hook.

http://www.dieselperformancemotorspo...rROCK81906.wmv
Old 10-01-2007, 12:54 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Banshee, how does your Haisley act for everyday driving? Have you upgraded your hydraulics or running stock? By the way, love the video. There was a video lurking around when you were driving a second gen, or it was titled as you driving. Are you doing anything to make your truck faster?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:42 PM

It does just fine day to day. Honestly, it was a little bit smoother engaging with the 10 puck discs vs. the 6 pucks, but it isn't bad at all with the current configuration. All it takes is a little more rpm and it's very smooth while engaging. The tradeoff is that I think it releases a little quicker with the 6 puck discs. Also, towing a load smooths everything out since you're putting more power through it. I have the SBC hydro unit in my truck after going through 4 stock units. They would last for a while but would start wearing causing harder shifting, difficulty getting into gear, and creeping at a light with the clutch disengaged. A new stock unit would solve it for a while, but the SBC unit has been flawless for quite some time.

I'm unaware of the other video, but it could've been of the '01 auto I had before this truck. I'm planning to leaving the truck as it is for now. I want to get back to the track because I think it has more in it than a 12.68. Hope to make it sometime soon.

Quick Reply: Fast Clutch??? 6 or 12 button??