3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Fast Clutch??? 6 or 12 button??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can a 6 button be changed out for a 12 button,
with out buying a whole new set-up???
Old 09-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why does the 3850 flex more?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Why does the 3850 flex more?
I dont know I was kinda thinking he was meaning to much "flex plate"????
but just left the "plate" part out of it????
this is as hard as trying to decide what fuel system I want
Old 09-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to get our heads spinning again Mark!!!!!!!

I have been looking at the 3850 DD simply because I want a clutch that will hold up to almost any condition that I can throw at it.

That being said I also want

1. A "streetable friendly" clutch
2. A strong, virtually unslippable clutch to 700 HP
3. A fast shifting clutch
4. A good strip and sled pulling clutch

I guess its another one of those things that just takes time and research to figure out.

Chances are whatever clutch you buy, you are probably going to wish you would have tried another...... Not saying that the one you have is bad or not right but that is just human nature (atleast for me)!!!!! AAAAARRRRGGGG

Doesn't D.WIGGS have the 3850????????????????????????????

Maybe he can help us out at somepoint, he has to be up near where we want to be with H.P. Rating
Old 09-25-2007, 03:56 PM

I am pretty sure if you want to sled pull you gotta get a 12 button...all the 6 buttons seem to be more for drag racing then sled pulling.....Peter told me I could sled pull with the 6 button...but if I am gonna do more drag then sled I should get a 6 button.....I guess thats what I should do Peter IS the expert after all sled pulling seems like it's 10x has harder on your truck then drag racing..and I dont see many sled pulls in my area.. the RMR track is only 30 mins from my house....So drag racing seems like the most logical for me
Plus sleds have been known to take g56's and turn them inside out
I already have a sport where I go out and break stuff..it's called rockcrawling.
yes I know drag racing is hard on stuff too...but it seems to be the lesser of two evils
Old 09-25-2007, 05:43 PM

My experience with the '05 is that drag racing works the engine harder, and sled pulling produces more driveline carnage!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
My experience with the '05 is that drag racing works the engine harder, and sled pulling produces more driveline carnage!

How about with the 04.5????????????????????????????????????
Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 PM

"Your results may vary."
Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 PM

Well after a lot of headspinning and going back and forth
I have decided to get the Haisley Machine Street Drag Clutch...I have talked to Banshee and he has nothing but good to say about the HMR street Drag and his 1/4 mile times with a HMR equipped handshaker has gotta mean something I am sure I would be happy with either the HMR or the SBC but I think the HMR is more of what I am after. it will be a couple months before I can buy it...thats sounds like a good Christmas present
yep, Haisley Street Drag 6 button here I come

thanks for all the info and opinions you guys had...cant find a better review comity then the DTR gang

Thanks to all
Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by PEAKSTRYDE
Way to get our heads spinning again Mark!!!!!!!

I have been looking at the 3850 DD simply because I want a clutch that will hold up to almost any condition that I can throw at it.

That being said I also want

1. A "streetable friendly" clutch
2. A strong, virtually unslippable clutch to 700 HP
3. A fast shifting clutch
4. A good strip and sled pulling clutch
A 3600 will hold 700hp with no problem. The only time people find fault in the dual disc clutches is when they slip the discs intentionally to stage up or do a burn out or the like. Any time you slip then you are heating the pucks and can reach a point that they start to disintegrate.

Reducing pucks on the clutch faces can aid shifting faster but it does greatly reduce the amount of power a clutch can hold in my opinion. Your basically taking away half the friction properties of the clutch by going with a 6 puck unit (thats 6 pucks per face which means you get 24 pucks total where as with a 12 button DD you are getting 48 pucks total)

South Bend's DD line is awesome overall in my opinion...
However I would not say they are necessarily fast shifting at least for my truck/abilities. I run the 4200lb currently but over the years I have ran the 3600 and 3850.

With my current clutch I have about 23-24 hooks to the sled with it and thats coming out at 50-60psi @ 3700rpm in 2nd gear/hi range.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:38 AM

Aren't the buttons in a 6 or 12 puck clutch different sizes?

Given that they consist of the same friction material with identical plate pressure, what does that say about their respective maximum theoretical steady-state torque capability?

Interestingly, in the case of an engine transmitting 1K lb-ft of torque through a 6 button single disc clutch (with an arbitrary 1.0 coefficient of static friction) and assuming 3" square pucks centered 6" away from the input shaft centerline with homogenous power flow:

each button must hold about 18.5 lbs/sq"

For a 12 puck:
each button must hold half that

For a 6 button dual disc:
each button must hold half that as well

For a 12 button dual disc:
each puck must hold half that again - about 4.6 lbs/sq"

Since the buttons in a 12 puck could be smaller, giving the clutch better innate cooling while still having superior holding power - let's assume a 2" square puck in the above package.

For a 12 button single disc, 1000 lb-ft torque engine:
each puck must hold about 20.8 lbs/sq"

For a 12 button dual disc:
each puck must hold about 10.4 lbs/sq"

So, it's clear to see why 12 button clutches hold more than 6 buttons, and why dual discs hold more than single discs - more "swept area".

Now, who knows what the different puck sizes are?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the posts gentlemen...very good info & points.
I am not too worried about the 6 button holding big power, Banshee is putting down just shy of 700hp and he has yet to slip it/over power it.
The HMR Street Drag is a DD clutch. Honestly I really doubt I will do any sled pulling and this clutch would still let me "Try it" once or twice if I wanted...and if I got hooked then I would maybe change to a more pull friendly clutch. There is way better access to the Drag strip Vs the Sled were I am at anyway, I have never even seen or heard of a truck sled pull in Utah.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:04 PM

So will the Hasiley DD hold up to boosted 3rd gear launches?

If remember correctly I dont think Banchee does 3rd gear boosted launches.

Is there a correct way to boosted launches and burnouts without welding the 2 surfaces together and hurting the clutch.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by SlowSixSpeed
So will the Hasiley DD hold up to boosted 3rd gear launches?

If remember correctly I dont think Banchee does 3rd gear boosted launches.

Is there a correct way to boosted launches and burnouts without welding the 2 surfaces together and hurting the clutch.
I bet you can do them with the G56...the gearing differences between the NV and the G-unit might be why....from what I gather Banshee has not tried it cause the gearing with his 35's would bog it down...all tho you would think 20lbs of boost would cure that maybe he will chime in on this one.....

I the think the better question is, will a ANY 6 button DD clutch hold up to 3rd gear launches????????
Old 09-28-2007, 03:10 PM
wap

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I bet you can do them with the G56...the gearing differences between the NV and the G-unit might be why....from what I gather Banshee has not tried it cause the gearing with his 35's would bog it down...all tho you would think 20lbs of boost would cure that maybe he will chime in on this one.....

I the think the better question is, will a ANY 6 button DD clutch hold up to 3rd gear launches????????
I dont know if or why they would make em but if you could get Peter to make you a 6 FB with a 4200lb plate load, I dare to say you could not slip it with an empty truck in 3rd gear.

I dont build more than 5lbs of boost but I can power brake my truck in 3rd on dry pavent with no clutch slip, but I do have the 12 cb.

My next tires will be 35x12.50s and I will see if I can powerbrak 4 of them, slip the clutch or bog the motor down.

Quick Reply: Fast Clutch??? 6 or 12 button??