3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Fast Clutch??? 6 or 12 button??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wap
I would think a 6cb rigid hub would be the fastest no matter who makes makes but the 12cb is gona have better road manors. I have NO problems bangin gears with my truck, I dont feel that the clutch has slowed my shifts down at all. Maybe its just my truck or maybe its the diff in the G56 vs the NV, but the only "problem" I ever have is gettin it into gear, but if I hit 3rd then back to reverse or first it goes in no problem.

I looked at haisley too and the main reason I went with SB instead was because of the sprung hub design, had it not been for that I MAY have went with haisley but I have had better service with SB than any other company I have delt with and had zero problems out of my clutch. The guys haisley were very helpful and very informative too, always took the time to help me out.
Thanks for the input Will what about the SBC DD 3850 Street Comp
6 CB????
anybody running it???

I really dont think I will do much sled pulling if any...I would rather Drag race....I am kinda thinking the SBC 3850 street comp 6 button will be sweet?!?!?!?!? it requires a hydro upgrade and the haisley does not..this makes me think the SBC has a little more holding power?????

thoughts????
Old 09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
Thanks for the input Will what about the SBC DD 3850 Street Comp
6 CB????
anybody running it???

I really dont think I will do much sled pulling if any...I would rather Drag race....I am kinda thinking the SBC 3850 street comp 6 button will be sweet?!?!?!?!? it requires a hydro upgrade and the haisley does not..this makes me think the SBC has a little more holding power?????

thoughts????

Thoughts.... Yeah I wanna ride....lol!!! I will even help install it!!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Luvnacumns
Thoughts.... Yeah I wanna ride....lol!!! I will even help install it!!
Sound good to me!! I still wanna ride in your twin turbo beast get your trans and come down here we will have a install party 2 trucks at once!!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
Sound good to me!! I still wanna ride in your twin turbo beast get your trans and come down here we will have a install party 2 trucks at once!!!!
I'm working on it!!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

I have the 3850 sprung hub 12cb now but had the 3850 solid hub. If i were you I would ask SB about shifting differences between the 6 and the 12. The 3850 is a very strong clutch and will take lots of abuse. If your just drag racing than a 3600 would suit you better. I will advise you that the bigger plate load pressure you go the stiffer the clutch pedal gets. The fastest shifting 6-speeds often do not use the clutch while shifting so also keep that in mind
Old 09-23-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by bluechrome
I have the 3850 sprung hub 12cb now but had the 3850 solid hub. If i were you I would ask SB about shifting differences between the 6 and the 12. The 3850 is a very strong clutch and will take lots of abuse. If your just drag racing than a 3600 would suit you better. I will advise you that the bigger plate load pressure you go the stiffer the clutch pedal gets. The fastest shifting 6-speeds often do not use the clutch while shifting so also keep that in mind
Thanks for the info.....I was kinda thinking the 3600 would be too small HP rating....I am shooting for around 700hp... and the 3600 is rated for 650hp and the SBC DD 3850 Street Comp 6 CB is rated for 750 hp. Might as well go a little overkill right???
Old 09-24-2007, 05:40 AM

Ive driven a FE and it would only shift when it wanted to, had to wait 2 seconds between shifts. All my stockers on my nv5600 shift plenty fast except the 4th-5th shift. I always have to let off and make sure it doesnt grind.

Dont get a DD that cant hold the abuse of sevral 20psi 3rd gear launches followed by wot shifts.

Honestly I dont think the clutch your looking for exists. One or another has drawbacks. A 3850 DD will hold the launch but how quick is it going to shift. A Hasiley oe 3200 dd might shift quick but can is slip ubtil 20psi in 3rd and then engauge???

The only perfect clutch for us is an
auto

Well we all wish our heavy duty tranny's will perform like a sports car tranny but they wont. If they made a clutch that I could bang every gear at WOT, shift in the middle of a wheel spinning drift at 50mph, be able to stage at 20psi in 3rd gear and then launch it to a 1.8 60foot and then perfectly grab every gear at WOT down the track with zero issues I as well as 99% of all manual owners would buy it!!!

But that will NEVER happen

Its just the nature of the beast

This is why alot of manual owners swap out or trade in to an auto once the've been bitten by the bombing bug, and are tired of being held back by their tranny. Yeah its a great all around truck and has 500hp but its difficult to get good times at the track when compared to an auto, and its difficult to to other type of fun stuff like donuts, burnouts, off the line races. Not to mention drive train/line shock, and lost boost during the shifts.

The only time my truck can really shine is on the freeway after I'm done rowing the gears through 6th. Only then am I able to compete...70-110 in a blink of an eye
Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 AM

I will never own another auto
but I will make my standard as fast as I can for a standard
Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 AM

personally when i upgrade my DD in the spring i am going with a spec....drove a truck with the spec DD in it and all i can say is wow, pedal feels the same as my sbc, but it is way quicker for shifting.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by ramtd02
personally when i upgrade my DD in the spring i am going with a spec....drove a truck with the spec DD in it and all i can say is wow, pedal feels the same as my sbc, but it is way quicker for shifting.
is your SB 12 or 6 button???
Old 09-24-2007, 11:33 AM
wap

IMO the 3600 would be plenty of clutch if you are not gonna hook to a sled, but I am with you, overkill is just about right. I kinda wish I had the 3850, not that I need it, just for the insurance.

Mine has held 3rd gear burnouts with the 4 34x12s so its pretty stought, zero slip to date. If you have any questions Mark feel free to pm or call me and I will tell ya what I know.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:42 PM

my sb is the 12 button..
Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by wap
IMO the 3600 would be plenty of clutch if you are not gonna hook to a sled, but I am with you, overkill is just about right. I kinda wish I had the 3850, not that I need it, just for the insurance.

Mine has held 3rd gear burnouts with the 4 34x12s so its pretty stought, zero slip to date. If you have any questions Mark feel free to pm or call me and I will tell ya what I know.

Will, thanks for the offer I know you do your homework on mods so it's nice to know I can call you and get some more opinionhow many buttons did you get?? 6 or 12??

I called Peter today and told him what I was going to do he told me to get the SBC DD 3600 Street Comp 6 CB...when I asked him about the 3850 6 button he said it would have to much flex...and would not shift as fast.
he said I should have no problem with a 3rd gear launch even if I was pushing 750hp Peter said I could hook to a sled (limited number of times) with this clutch but I would NOT want to slip it the whole way down the track or it wont last

still really tough decisions
Banshee kinda has me liking the HMR but his is on a NV and my truck is a G56..so they could shift totally different anyway...

it's too hard of a choice...and I just want to make the best choice the first time

thanks for everyones input
Old 09-25-2007, 06:28 AM
wap

Mark, no problem, I know there are guys on here know a lot more about this stuff than I do but I am more than happy to help if I can, and the offer stands, anytime.

I got the 12 button as my truck tows a fair amount and it is a DD more than a drag machine. It seems the 12s just have a little better manors than the 6s BUT I have NOT driven a 6 so this just from what I have been told, the only first hand expierence I have with these clutches is with the 12s.

Also one G56 may shift differant then the other too, and FWIW I ALMOST went with the HMR, Curt (sp?) was really helpful but like I said the springs are what did if for me on the SBC and I cant say enough good things about there service,
Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 AM

Well I pmed some more guys with questions and it kinda sounds like I should try the 6 button 3600......Peter told me the 3850 has to much "flex"...and another member confirmed it. He told me he had the 3850 and it was messed up or something..so Peter sent him the 3600 12 button and he seems to really like it...I just wish some more guys where running the 6 button so I can hear about that..

Quick Reply: Fast Clutch??? 6 or 12 button??