3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Fass screeching noise all the time again

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fass screeching noise all the time again

I changed filters last july and cleaned the brush ports and squell was gone until I was filling up about 1000 miles later. It came and went and during the winter when the fuel is cold and thicker seems to be intermitent and rare. Well summer is here and once again pump was running normal until I stopped to fill up. Put nozzle in and started pumping and squelling began and has not stopped for more than 2 seconds since for the last 3000 miles. I have cleaned brushes and they were fine. I posted last june on the problem and really did not get any info as to the cause of the problem. I did find out that their were others with the same problem though. I am once again looking for the answer to the problem. So if anyone knows how to fix this p.o.s. I would be much abliged.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:18 PM

Talk to DieselDan he would be the most help.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:30 AM

just curious, what could you compare the screeching sound too? i know my FASS has gotten louder in the couple months i have had it. then again i have put almost 4k on it. how long have you had yours? it has a warranty so im sure they will fix or replace it.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by supercharger
I changed filters last july and cleaned the brush ports and squell was gone until I was filling up about 1000 miles later. It came and went and during the winter when the fuel is cold and thicker seems to be intermitent and rare. Well summer is here and once again pump was running normal until I stopped to fill up. Put nozzle in and started pumping and squelling began and has not stopped for more than 2 seconds since for the last 3000 miles. I have cleaned brushes and they were fine. I posted last june on the problem and really did not get any info as to the cause of the problem. I did find out that their were others with the same problem though. I am once again looking for the answer to the problem. So if anyone knows how to fix this p.o.s. I would be much abliged.
Get me your serial number and I can run it.

Well squealing is not a good noise. But every time i hear squealing it had to do with the HPFP. Usually not something that was associated with the FASS. With the HPFP it was due to an internal spring resonance. We have since corrected this issue with the HPFP.

On thing you can try is a bucket test. Pull you suction line off and return line and place into a bucket of fuel. Run the pump and see if the noise is any different. Restriction can wreak havoc on our pumps (Ask Tristan21).

Do you have a local dealer that could listen to your pump? Some times a human ear is the best tool for the job. I have a few good dealers in SW MO. Northeast Diesel Service in Springfield comes to mind if you are close. But use our dealer locater to see if there is one closer.

With you being soo close to us, could i talk you into letting me test your pump in house here? That way i can hear your noise and see what i can do to fix it. UPS is a one day ship time anywhere in MO (Unless you are like in Joplin). I can normally get a pump in and out in the same day if needed.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 AM

Well once again temps have dropped and pump is as quiet as it has ever been. I think the fuel temp has more to do with the noise than air temp. When the schreeching noise does happen fuel p.s.i. droppes 1/2 pound. It has been extremely noisy all summer and now suddenly stopped when the cool weather has prevailed. I have never found the answer to why this happens and I have spent hours searching.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe the pump is cavitating?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 AM

Another observation is when the grid heaters kick on it squeals and as soon as they pause in between cycles it is quiet again.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
Do you have a local dealer that could listen to your pump? Some times a human ear is the best tool for the job. I have a few good dealers in SW MO. Northeast Diesel Service in Springfield comes to mind if you are close. But use our dealer locater to see if there is one closer.

With you being soo close to us, could i talk you into letting me test your pump in house here? That way i can hear your noise and see what i can do to fix it. UPS is a one day ship time anywhere in MO (Unless you are like in Joplin). I can normally get a pump in and out in the same day if needed.
My offer still stands.......