3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

FASS or not to FASS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS or not to FASS

I am approaching 83k miles on my CTD and it still has the stock fuel pump. It still runs fine and I have good acceleration. I notice no hesitation or hard starts. My question is should I go ahead and replace it?

If the pump does go bad what can happen? Will it ruin the main fuel pump, injectors, etc?

Any info would be good, I just want to be prepared!!!

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:20 PM

Your liftpump can go at anytime whether its got 20,000 miles or 120,000 miles on it so its good that you wanna be prepared. On to the good stuff. If your LP dies your Cp3 pump can go if you don't catch the problem and then that leads to injectors and on down the line so its good to have a good working Lift Pump. Or you could be laying down alot of cash at once. . Ive seen nothing but good from fass, airdog, etc. They all seem good. Ive just heard noise complaints from some Fass owners but to all his own. Just take your time and decide whats best for you. Any diesel shop could lead you in the right direction along with the rest of the community on here. But if it were me i would replace it to be on the safe side. That way you still have a working back up pump. I myself and tring to diagnose if mine may be going south on me . Well i hope i was of some type of assistance. Im still new to this all.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 PM

is the FASS a bad idea? i will be getting one in 2-3 weeks. some on here are asking me why? when i can get a 5 micron filter for the stock canister. what to do what to do?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 AM

I have an 03 with 92000 miles and I just put a FASS on for the same reason. I was told that if the stock LP failed it would not do damage to the rest of the fuel system, but it would just quit... dead. That was they key drive for me to replace mine. I didn't want to be dead on the side of the road at some crazy time with a load and not be able to move. When I considered that inconvenience it was cheap insurance or manitenance. The FASS is a little anoyingly loud but I know I have a good pump now.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A better lift pump is always going to be a good idea. Common rail trucks typically don't see the injection parts fail like they do in the 98.5-2002 trucks. When the lift pumps die, they will usually just leave you stranded.

No matter who's pump you use, it is a good idea to have one.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM

I prefer mechanical lift pumps...

The less to fail, the better.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
A better lift pump is always going to be a good idea. Common rail trucks typically don't see the injection parts fail like they do in the 98.5-2002 trucks. When the lift pumps die, they will usually just leave you stranded.

No matter who's pump you use, it is a good idea to have one.
How does the pump at the BD Power compare to the FASS or Airdog? The price is right and the installation seems easier but what about performance or warranty?

Seems that everybody usually recommends one or the other.

Dwight
Old 03-28-2009, 01:47 AM

I would go with another fuel system not the fass
Old 03-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Ace
Banned

Fuel pressure gauge is always my first fuel system mod. What's the point of doing anything else, if you don't even know what the pressure is reading?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:37 PM

I have a FASS and won't purchase it again, very NOISY unit. BD pump isn't a very clean install, I installed one a few years back on my dad's 98. You have locate a spot on the frame and mounting is a bit tricky as you put nuts on the inside of the frame, holding them while tightening bolts. Then you have to get a pipe cutter and hack off part the factory fuel line on route to the engine. You connect rubber fuel hose to the pump. Not sure what the output is on the BD pump.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 PM

ollie, can you hear the FASS over you truck when you are driving it?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:48 PM

I have heard they are loud and can be heard inside the cab but is there something that is better?
Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM

i have heard from some that they cant be heard over the engine noise when you are driving, but then i have heard from some they can.

Yeah, so what is the best unit? Noise wise, while not skimping on safety
Old 03-28-2009, 04:24 PM

I have had very good success with my Glacier Diesel setup.. I know some may say you can put the same parts together yourself to save money. I bought the Pump and 3 Micron filter setup and have close to 100k on it. Stock injectors and stock CP3. I think having this pump and filter setup has been a big part of not having injector or CP3 issues.. It keeps around 20lbs pressure to the CP3 and the filtering of the fuel I think is just as important as keeping good pressure.

The kits come with great instructions for the do-it-yourself group.

Good Luck with your choice...
Old 03-28-2009, 04:38 PM

just to answer your question. . .my fass has been on over 2 years, I must have one of the quiet ones it can't be heard with the engine running and I do have high hp and a very quiet exhaust system, just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: FASS or not to FASS