3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

FASS Issue/Advice - Diesel-Dan

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS Issue/Advice - Diesel-Dan

Dan (et al) -
Tried to PM this, no joy. I have a FASS 150 system on my 04.5 CTD, been very happy with it for almost two years (plumbed to the OEM filter housing) - has performed well and very quietly. A few months back, I had some fuel system issues, and in the tracking of the problem, the mechanic who was helping me out thought the issue might be air in the fuel. Short version is, his solution was to install the OEM in-tank low pressure pump, and let it feed the FASS. This actually seems to work well - my feed pressure to the CP3 jumped from 16 to 22 psi under throttle, and the truck runs great. However, two days ago, I noticed that the FASS has starting running louder, and for a period yesterday the whine/whirr started to fluctuate. Normal tone will increase in pitch and then drop, in a 4 second wavering pattern (2 seconds up, 2 seconds down, then back up...). I changed the water seperator, the HF 6604, and the OEM filter - no change. Feed pressure to the CP3 is still holding well, no fluctuation other than the normal drop then climb when the throttle is first applied, and she idles and runs out smooth as ever.
The system has about 30K miles on it, no really hard or abusive use. Could this be brushes, do I need to get your "quieten update " done, do I need to get the updated motor, should I remove the in-tank pump...?
Appreciate any advice you can offer - thanks!
Scott
Old 02-01-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by JIMCTD
Dan (et al) -
Tried to PM this, no joy. I have a FASS 150 system on my 04.5 CTD, been very happy with it for almost two years (plumbed to the OEM filter housing) - has performed well and very quietly. A few months back, I had some fuel system issues, and in the tracking of the problem, the mechanic who was helping me out thought the issue might be air in the fuel. Short version is, his solution was to install the OEM in-tank low pressure pump, and let it feed the FASS. This actually seems to work well - my feed pressure to the CP3 jumped from 16 to 22 psi under throttle, and the truck runs great. However, two days ago, I noticed that the FASS has starting running louder, and for a period yesterday the whine/whirr started to fluctuate. Normal tone will increase in pitch and then drop, in a 4 second wavering pattern (2 seconds up, 2 seconds down, then back up...). I changed the water seperator, the HF 6604, and the OEM filter - no change. Feed pressure to the CP3 is still holding well, no fluctuation other than the normal drop then climb when the throttle is first applied, and she idles and runs out smooth as ever.
The system has about 30K miles on it, no really hard or abusive use. Could this be brushes, do I need to get your "quieten update " done, do I need to get the updated motor, should I remove the in-tank pump...?
Appreciate any advice you can offer - thanks!
Scott
Man.....even with that pump running, i feel that in-tank pump is still a far cry from supplying the FASS. Ditch the In-tank pump and get yourself a decent draw tube and see how that works. The FASS was not designed to run with pressure on the suction side. It has a check ball under the T-Block that will dislodge if pressure is applies to the suction side. This is a "Get home" feature to allow fuel to be drawn though the pump if the pump should ever quit running.

Do the 5 gallon bucket test: Get a 5 gallon bucket of diesel. Pull your return line off the RM-1002 and pull your suction line off the tank. Put both in the bucket of diesel. See if the sound changes.

The intake heaters will also make the FASS sound like its surging as well.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Dan -
Thanks for the reply - I suspected as much. Would I be better off to install the 1/2" pickup, or just remove the in-tank pump and reinstall the factory pickup assembly (I kept it in my bin-o-Dodge)?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by JIMCTD
Dan -
Thanks for the reply - I suspected as much. Would I be better off to install the 1/2" pickup, or just remove the in-tank pump and reinstall the factory pickup assembly (I kept it in my bin-o-Dodge)?
To each his own........the factory unit, for the most part, is adequate. BUT this also might have been the root cause of your first issue. The STK-1001 (Our part number), or Draw Straw are good options and if you are going to be in the tank anyway….might as well install it.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned

Dan is the man!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:12 PM

Thanks! Order is on the way!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBeast
Dan is the man!
Really? I may never know....he doesn't have a phone number for technical questions and he has NOT returned my PM's. Where's the customer service these days?

Silly me, I should have ordered the Glacier kit.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Gotta say I tried to call the fass guys with a few ?'s about my gauges I want to install and I was told I had to talk to the person I purchased it from.

Honestly nobody wants to hear that when they are needing tech support. It ranks right up there with getting a secretary who wants to answer your tech ?'s or an automated system.

I bought that kit on the road and I dont even know where I was. They sold it to me but I dont want them to be my service center. Even worse yet is the outfit that installed it. Not to mention I purchased it about 500 miles from my house and had it installed 1100 miles from my house. I would think you could answer a few ?'s over the phone to keep some of your other customers happy.

I'm sure I have different needs than the average joe but im sure there must be others who dont like their installer.

Overall I am pleased with the system just not that I will have to reinstall the bracket becouse the bolts are smashing into the bracket and it looks all cocked (installers fault im sure). They also left the original banjo and line dangling on the motor and a bunch of other crap that aint your fault but if I lived in PA I wouldnt ever want them to have to be my only source for FASS systems.

Sorry Dan rant off just had to vent.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:06 PM

Yep, it's nice to be able to talk with the manufacturer - to be able to go straight to the source, but I have to wonder why some of them choose to hide and have a receptionist say "you have to call a dealer". The frustrating part about that is they don't always know the answer.

I hear Richard at Glacier Diesel Power has a phone number, and get this; he even answers it himself and is more than happy to talk with you.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by DirtEater
Really? I may never know....he doesn't have a phone number for technical questions and he has NOT returned my PM's. Where's the customer service these days?

Silly me, I should have ordered the Glacier kit.
You got a question....post it up here on the forum. I dont do PM unless its needed. I would rather have issues/questions posted publicly so others can read them. See the prob/question asked, and the resolution. If you have any other questions, please contact your selling dealer and they have full access to me if they can not answer your question. If you have a wnty issue with your Dodge, do you call up DC HQ to get your truck fixed? We supply our dealers with more than enough information to take care of any issue and again, if they cant answer your questions they can call me. Remember, i dont have to be on these sites..........

Bottom line: IF you have a question, post it here.

Gentlemen, you have my full undivided attention.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Let me get this straight Dan. I send you 2 PM's asking for advice/help and you purposely blow me off, expecting me to somehow know that you prefer we post questions via threads? What kind of customer support is that?

Are you too busy that you can't answer someone needing product support? You think we're not busy too. What, do you think we enjoy calling multiple dealers hoping one of them knows your product well enough to give us good solid advice. I can assure you they all do not. I experienced this first hand. You think our time is not valuable?

Well if that's the way you choose to do buisness, you may need to change. Your competition is more than willing to answer his phone and talk about his product....enthusiastically I might add.

Bottom line is if we're willing to buy your product, you need to offer reasonable customer support. And I don't mean "post a thread" type support. That's lame! Along the llines of what someone else said earlier, I can call Edge and talk with a tech person, I can call HTT and talk with Dave, and I can even call DTT and get to talk with tranny guru Bill. Apparently these people care and haven't outgrown their britches. Have you?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
I dont do PM unless its needed.
I thought it was needed! Wished you had too.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:06 PM

I have never received a PM from you. Due to i have them shut off. I return EVERY PM, E-MAIL, PHONE CALL, TELEGRAHPH I RECIEVE. If i didn’t reply, i didn’t see it. I will 100% promise you that.

I am responsible for over 100 Dealers nation wide and over 15,000+ units on the market. Me, that’s it. We ask that our dealers take care of the smaller issues that pop up. If i need to get involved helping a customer, I do. And i do often. But if I took every call that came in, I would never get anything done. We are a growing company and I’m sure we will get more help. But at the moment, I am it. AND I’m doing my very best to keep up on all 8+ forums and all the calls I get now as it is.

If one could walk a day in my shoes, I think some eyes would be opened up.

With all due respect, if you have a question, please give me a chance to help you out. If you don’t, I need to move on.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
I have never received a PM from you. Due to i have them shut off. I return EVERY PM, E-MAIL, PHONE CALL, TELEGRAHPH I RECIEVE. If i didn’t reply, i didn’t see it. I will 100% promise you that.
Not sure what you mean by that, but I sent you 2 PM's here on DTR. Moving on.....

With all due respect, if you have a question, please give me a chance to help you out. If you don’t, I need to move on.
Fair enough Dan....I started a new thread for a FASS 95.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Banned

Dan has his PM's turned off. His thinking is that if people post their problem on the public forum instead of the private one then the entire public can see the issue and the resolution and if they have something similar then they know what to do and how to fix it. I promise you that dan is a great guy and will go out of his way to help you.

Quick Reply: FASS Issue/Advice - Diesel-Dan