3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Fass II Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fass II Installed

Well I finally plumbed the FASS II last weekend. I had it mounted and wired for a while but needed to try a few things with my old system to learn before going with the rest of the install on the FASS. 21 PSI all of the time. Under WOT it pulls down to 18. The truck will run the stack with no hesitation anymore and my mileage increased as well as the truck running much better. I can't believe how I lasted this long before installing the pump. Putting on some wheel well liners tonight to protect my new investment.

The noise is not nearly what I had before but I do get some whistling going on. I think because the pump flows so much more that what I may behearing is the vent? If anyone has had this or can confirm what this may be let me know. Thanks.

BTW, anyone fumbling around with any other system ought to just give it up and install the FASS. You'll be glad you did.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Chapter President

Will your dealership ask anything?
Old 04-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duallydog
if they do, tell them you did not like the in tank model they would have given you because the stocker failed.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
Well I finally plumbed the FASS II last weekend. I had it mounted and wired for a while but needed to try a few things with my old system to learn before going with the rest of the install on the FASS. 21 PSI all of the time. Under WOT it pulls down to 18. The truck will run the stack with no hesitation anymore and my mileage increased as well as the truck running much better. I can't believe how I lasted this long before installing the pump. Putting on some wheel well liners tonight to protect my new investment.

The noise is not nearly what I had before but I do get some whistling going on. I think because the pump flows so much more that what I may behearing is the vent? If anyone has had this or can confirm what this may be let me know. Thanks.

BTW, anyone fumbling around with any other system ought to just give it up and install the FASS. You'll be glad you did.

Was your stock lift pump in the tank or on the motor? I'm trying to figure out what to do with my '05 but can't get a definite answer. Some guys say pull the tank and install a second pickup. I was thinking of doing that maybe, and using a booster pump. Can I T into it somewhere after the tank and run both the stock intank lift pump and the booster?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Igor
Was your stock lift pump in the tank or on the motor? I'm trying to figure out what to do with my '05 but can't get a definite answer. Some guys say pull the tank and install a second pickup. I was thinking of doing that maybe, and using a booster pump. Can I T into it somewhere after the tank and run both the stock intank lift pump and the booster?

Thanks.

Igor,

His is an 04.5 truck so it was on the motor. The 03,04 and 04.5 trucks have the lift pump on the motor......and starting in 05 they moved them to the tank. And, if anybody with a 3rd gen gets the lift pump replaced the dealers are putting them in the tank. Apparently they are holding up better by being there pushing the fuel rather than pulling it while being vibrated by the engine.

I can't answer about the best way to route the fueling on an 05 though. Im sure somebody will chime in soon. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Duallydog
My warranty was gone a long time ago but I'm ok with that.

Igor, I first got shipped the wrong FASS. It was for a 05-06 model. It included a new 3/8 pickup tube to be installed in the tank. With that being the case, it leaves the stock pump alone and as I understand it, the stock wire harness isn't used at all in the install like the filter mounted ones. The filter mounted ones use the stock harness to run a relay that connects 12 volts from the battery to the FASS harness. The 05 though doesn't wire this way. So, you may be able to keep your stock system in place. I think the stock is only disabled by removing the relay from the fuse block under the hood so if you need it to work you just plug the relay back in? Not sure on that but it makes sense to me.

As far as another boost pump, you can tie one into the stock feed line and run it to 12 volts with a switchable source like an accessory with the key but I don't know if that is acceptable or not. I know that on the filter mounted ones BD has a kit that goes between the tank and filter mounted pump that is a helper pump so the system utilizes both the stock and the helper pump. I don't see the difference other than the order of the way they are in line.

My 04.5 is kind of an abortion as far as I can tell. A lot of things are used from the 03-04 like the filter mounted lift pump and I just don't think it was good from the start with the extra injection event, etc. They did change the fuel system for the 05 600 motors so that kind of tells the story on that part.