3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

FASS humming loudly

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS humming loudly

Hi all

I've had my FASS for about 5000 miles, its been great so far. Recently though, as in the past few days, its been humming significantly louder than before. I read the troubleshooting guide, but nothing really stood out to me.

One thing I noticed today, I saw the water separator dripping water (not continous, a few drops at a time). I take I should just drain the water filter? Just turn the bottom ****? <--yes I realize that sounded borderline ignorant, I just want to make sure I do the right thing

Thanks for any tips
Old 09-23-2006, 08:49 AM

I drain mine every 8 to 10 tanks of fuel, also try changing the fuel filter,I just did mine first time in 10,000 miles they say every 30,000 but it is cheap .just to let you know I installed a wix filter # 51202 it is a 5 micron and paid I $ 18.00 for it . also baldwin has a filter # bt 372-10 also a 5 micron .maybe this will help. just turn the bottom know and it will drain out .I also primed the new filter with diesel fuel to keep out the air but I do not know if it is necessary can not hurt kully
Old 09-23-2006, 08:53 AM
DTR's "Secret Agent"

Two cases I have seen, WFO has a loud FASS but his works just fine! However up at scheid I heard one and it was really loud and he told us that the bearings was going out of it. But this is just what I have seen/heard, dont take it to heart
Old 09-23-2006, 02:06 PM

Check for cavitation by doing the 5 gallon bucket test in the trouble shooting manual. See if the pump quiets up. If it does, might address the suction line. Make sure you are not sucking air anywhere. ALSO might need to address the stock sending unit in the tank.

As for the bearings, you can check for this real quick. Open up the water sep. drain when the pump is running. it should get very quiet due to braking the prime on the motor. IF you can still hear a grinding or roaring, you might need to talk to a dealer. (Shut the drain before you turn the FASS OFF!!!! ) Give you SN to him and have them call me for some options. It’s a rare issue...but we see it every now and then.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:11 PM

Thanks guys!

Thanks Dan, I'll drain it and see what happens. Should the 5 gallon test quiet the pump, how could I tell if I'm drawing air anywhere?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:23 PM

what FASS are you running?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:34 PM

the 95GPH system
Old 09-24-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
Check for cavitation by doing the 5 gallon bucket test in the trouble shooting manual. See if the pump quiets up. If it does, might address the suction line. Make sure you are not sucking air anywhere. ALSO might need to address the stock sending unit in the tank.

As for the bearings, you can check for this real quick. Open up the water sep. drain when the pump is running. it should get very quiet due to braking the prime on the motor. IF you can still hear a grinding or roaring, you might need to talk to a dealer. (Shut the drain before you turn the FASS OFF!!!! ) Give you SN to him and have them call me for some options. It’s a rare issue...but we see it every now and then.
Dan,
I did the second portion of your post, I'm glad to report the pump did quiet down a little. I have yet to do the 5 gallon test.

I had a question about that, should everything be ok with the 5 gallon test and it shows its not FASS, what would be the recommended steps to solve the issue?

The other issue I have is now I don't know just how loud the FASS system...is it loud..or is it in my head now?
Old 09-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ramirezh
The other issue I have is now I don't know just how loud the FASS system...is it loud..or is it in my head now?
I never thought about that! Mines not as loud as it was a year ago, or I'm used to it, or my hearing is getting worse. Whichever, I just barely notice it at startup now.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 AM

It does take some time for the motor brushes to seat. They do make some noise until this happens. The FASS should make some noise. I can just barely hear mine running if i stand by where its mounted on my 2001.

The 5 gallon test, if cavitation is an issue, will quiet the pump up. This reduces restricion to the pump, thus decreasing load...and the pump will become quieter.

Air being sucked in at any of the joints on the suction line will cause noise too. We have seen cracked fuel modules in tanks cause issue, pipe fittings leaking on the FASS/HPFP, quick disconnects at the tank not pushed up on the tank all the way. Just make sure you used thread sealant on all pipe fittings.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:53 PM

Thanks.

As of this moment I'm leaning towards blaming something other than the FASS...at least that's what I'm hoping. I haven't been able to do the 5 gallon bucket test (lack of resources) which is another reason why I'm trying to figure out what could resolve the issue assuming its not the FASS.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ramirezh
Thanks.

As of this moment I'm leaning towards blaming something other than the FASS...at least that's what I'm hoping. I haven't been able to do the 5 gallon bucket test (lack of resources) which is another reason why I'm trying to figure out what could resolve the issue assuming its not the FASS.
Update? Figure out anything?
Old 09-28-2006, 07:47 PM

Nothing to update *sigh...work has been eating up A LOT of my time (stupid grown up stuff)

Still louder than it used to be. I spoke with my local diesel performance shop, he said he's seen that happen before and it "just happens" to some of them...quiet at first, then get a little noiser. He's even chatted with your and/or your crew about it.

Should it be an issue, should I see/feel a performance hit?
Old 09-29-2006, 08:19 AM

Just keep an eye on fuel pressure. With the size motor we run...its normal for them to make some noise.