3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

FASS 95 vs. 150

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS 95 vs. 150

I'm ordeing a FASS next week and I'm curious what would be the better pump to get.... I'm not looking to add huge amounts of fuel in the future, I'm more interested in reliability. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Desired HP?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:16 AM

I hope you like noise. I had the 95gph pump on my 05 it was ungodly annoying just giving you a heads up. if you dont mind the noise you will be fine, but it is really similar to a grinder under the bed running.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:07 AM

Not so much interested in adding more power, at the most maybe a smarty and a 62 turbo, although I kind of doubt it with the problems I've been reading about with codes.

I thought I had read that they have fixed these pumps so that they are no longer noisey?? I had heard a video of one that was WAAAAY to loud. I would send it back if it was that loud, the grinder is a good discription. I was just under the impression that the new onees are quiet? Maybe the Walbro is a better option, but I'd like to have the filtration.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Banned

what about a glacier 392 kit?

brett
Old 06-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Banned

Doesn't the FASS only filter down to 3 mic?

The GDP/Walbro system filters down to 2 mic with the MK2 kit.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Banned

They did fix them. They also come with a 6 year warrantee. I'd go with the 150/95 series.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Banned

Looks like the 95 Series FASS only filters down to 10 micron.

For the 150 Series they offer 10 mic and 3 mic replacement filters.

The stock injectors have a 2 mic limit, so I would only consider a system that can filter down to that level. IMO there's no sense in spending all that money and time installing for a system that only goes down to 3 micron.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

If you get the FASS with the filters, you can get a 2 micron aftermarket filter.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:29 AM

I really am not worried about the microns and all that. My truck came from Cummins without such a filter so I assume they are ok with it.. I'm mainly doing it for 2 reasons- to raise my FP and to negate the crap factory lp and get the pump in a serviceable location should it go bad on the road.. Filtration is an added benefit but it's not my priority.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by coolslice
I really am not worried about the microns and all that. My truck came from Cummins without such a filter so I assume they are ok with it.. I'm mainly doing it for 2 reasons- to raise my FP and to negate the crap factory lp and get the pump in a serviceable location should it go bad on the road.. Filtration is an added benefit but it's not my priority.
To each his own, but IMO filtration is a top priority. How many times do you read about stories where someone got one bad tank of fuel, the crud made it past the stock 10 mic filter and trashed the injectors/CP3, and then Dodge voids the warranty for contaminated fuel.

The Cummins system would work great, assuming you ALWAYS get clean fuel. Unfortunately that's not likely to happen if you travel around a lot. They say the injectors have a 2 mic limit and the fuel is supposed to swirl around and break up particles between 2 micron and 10 micron. I don't know...seems much more reliable to just filter the fuel down to 2 mic to start with.

You sure do hear about tons of stock injectors going out...
Old 06-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrussell
To each his own, but IMO filtration is a top priority. How many times do you read about stories where someone got one bad tank of fuel, the crud made it past the stock 10 mic filter and trashed the injectors/CP3, and then Dodge voids the warranty for contaminated fuel.

The Cummins system would work great, assuming you ALWAYS get clean fuel. Unfortunately that's not likely to happen if you travel around a lot. They say the injectors have a 2 mic limit and the fuel is supposed to swirl around and break up particles between 2 micron and 10 micron. I don't know...seems much more reliable to just filter the fuel down to 2 mic to start with.

You sure do hear about tons of stock injectors going out...
But at the same time, if you start adding all these performance mods to your truck that will REQUIRE an aftermarket lift pump, you will void your warranty when you take it in to the dealer for failed injectors anyway...so you lose either way. Might as well get aftermarket injectors too...
Old 06-03-2007, 10:47 AM

My warranty will remain unless I do something REALLY stupid. I'm good friends with all the right people at my dealership. This is the main reason I went with a Dodge because they all promised they would take care of me, and they have. Of course, I have not taken advantage or anything of that nature.

I guess when you step back, these trucks are really not very reliable. I'm at 42k and I've seen the rollback twice. Now I'm looking for ways to keep my tranny going and keep the fuel getting to the engine to avoid a future encounter with Mr. rollback again. Not very impressive on a $45k truck, but there is a strange addictive sickness to it all.

Bottom line, these trucks have a million ways to die or become wounded. I just want to make my truck more reliable for the long haul since it will be paid off this month. I can't prevent everything, but i'd like to address the main issues which IMO are the fuel supply and the transmission.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by $oC@l CTD
But at the same time, if you start adding all these performance mods to your truck that will REQUIRE an aftermarket lift pump, you will void your warranty when you take it in to the dealer for failed injectors anyway...so you lose either way. Might as well get aftermarket injectors too...
Good point.

I guess I would rather give up the faux warranty and try to prevent the problems altogether.

Aftermarket injectors are definitely in my near future. More for the reliability than the power...at least that's what the wife hears!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by coolslice
Keep in mind that when you upgrade to a more powerful l/p you'll be sucking up more/smaller contaminants than the stocker did, hence the need for added filtration.

Quick Reply: FASS 95 vs. 150