3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
View Poll Results: Which exhaust setup to do?
Remove muffler and get a "MUFFLER DELETE PIPE"
26.58%
Remove muffler and cat and replace with a complete STRAIGHT PIPE SYSTEM
26.58%
Remove whole exhuast and get a totally new exhaust like from MBRP, Banks, Bullydog.....etc
45.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Which exhuast setup to do??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staarma,

Do you have dyno sheets to other factual data to support the claim that a 5" true madrel system is superior to the other options stated above?

I agree that one looks better than the other, but it also cost a heck of alot more and in my experience...had zero performance effect...other than sounding louder.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:35 PM

This question is like who makes the best BBQ.......... Its all up to the man with the fork in his mouth............

Some guys like blondes, some like brunettes, some like......... .....
Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 PM

thats wierd how most of the votes are telling me to get a whole new system? Dont understand the point if I already have a 4" exhaust?? Also, does anyone have a clip w/NO CAT. I would like to here a whole STRAIGHT PIPE system with NO CAT and NO MUFFLER.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:06 PM

Right on target, Viking. Unless you are really gonna' mod your truck w/ heavy hp a 5" or larger system is pointless. I did the rookie research about 3 months
ago just like you're doing now.

Take your time on finding the sound YOU like. There are no right or wrong systems as far as sound. There was(WAS) a time in my life when the sound HAD to be right. It passed. I understand sound may be top priority for many
folks, younger & OLDER than me. I personally wouldn't rely on a soundclip for a muffler. Thats me. I would suggest to try to go to a chapter meet somewhere in your area. That would be an excellent op to get advice & see for yourself.

I have read on here that 4" is good for up to about 450 hp. Unless you will be pushing that upper end and have 750-1000 bucks, stick with the 4"
Old 03-16-2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
thats wierd how most of the votes are telling me to get a whole new system? Dont understand the point if I already have a 4" exhaust?? Also, does anyone have a clip w/NO CAT. I would like to here a whole STRAIGHT PIPE system with NO CAT and NO MUFFLER.
ive got a short vid in sig you can kind hear it, but i didnt get on it very much at all.il try to make a new one in the morning, ill lay into it good so you can hear it. might just duc tape the camera to the bumper
Old 03-16-2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by texaspower19
ive got a short vid in sig you can kind hear it, but i didnt get on it very much at all.il try to make a new one in the morning, ill lay into it good so you can hear it. might just duc tape the camera to the bumper
I tried clicking on your link before but its NOT even a link, theres nothing to click on.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:05 AM

There are 4" exhaust on trucks with 600+ hp.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:16 AM

I tried clicking on your link before but its NOT even a link, theres nothing to click on.

it works now
Old 03-17-2006, 12:55 PM

My exhaust was $400 shipped to my door. I will dyno it with the 5" on there. Been too lazy recently to dyno after some mods. The problem is I only have the stock baseline with the EZ and stock exhaust and airbox. If I dyno it again, it will be with the EZ and 5" with AFE II. Hope that works for you but it will not be just the 5", and no I'm not going to put the stock airbox back on.

So, the comparison will be with the EZ and stock airbox and exhaust and then the EZ with AFE II and the 5". While I'm at it though I will dyno the stack as well; been wanting to do that anyway. Oh, also it will be with a DD lift pump and big line kit.

Really, I don't care what anyone does with their exhaust. I thought the guy was asking for opinions on what everyone has done. I didn't know it was to argue about what people had done.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:39 PM

Staarma,

I did not mean to come off that way. I am interested in the difference...that is all. I may be swaping out my pieced together economy system for a 5" to muffler, and dual 4" over the axle....with a 5" down pipe off of twins!

Who knows what I might do once my turbo turns into two.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Staarma,

I did not mean to come off that way. I am interested in the difference...that is all. I may be swaping out my pieced together economy system for a 5" to muffler, and dual 4" over the axle....with a 5" down pipe off of twins!

Who knows what I might do once my turbo turns into two.
That's cool I wasn't offended really. It wasn't the best for me to write that without having factual data. I just thought that the visual difference is something everyone could see but if you don't have the systems on the shop floor side by side I realize it's difficult. The stock 4" seemed adequate to me as well until I compared it to a mandrel bent 4" and 5" and then it was unbelievable in how much difference there really was. I will get some dyno graphs done and post the results. My truck definitely revs easier and it runs cooler when I tow with it so I hope the difference is visible on the dyno.

FWIW I think your truck would look bada$$ with 6" slash cut stacks in black pipe. I know stacks aren't for everyone but they would look good on yours. I don't think they would look good on my shortbox though.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by texaspower19
it works now
What exactly causes the black smoke? Not having the muffler?
Old 03-17-2006, 03:53 PM

What exactly causes the black smoke? Not having the muffler?
No, lots of fuel. Read what modules he's stacking in his sig and that will tell you why he has black smoke.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:05 PM

you already have 4 in exhaust just replace the mufler with a more free flowing one
Old 03-19-2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bwarren86
you already have 4 in exhaust just replace the mufler with a more free flowing one
It seems like thats the best thing to do, just not sure if I should replace the CAT with a straight pipe. Thats what the it boils down to.

Quick Reply: Which exhuast setup to do??