3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Exhaust and Turbo, need whistle!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust and Turbo, need whistle!

I have the short Donaldson muffler, but so much of the exhaust sound comes through you can't hear the turbo over the exhaust tone. I have opened up the intake with Air Raid drop in, got rid of baffle tube, silencer ring, etc. I can hear the whistle decently in the cab but outside all you get is exhaust. What is a way I can make my turbo whistle more prominent? My PSD sounded excellent with a Walker BTM and a Tymar intake, but just can't seem to get much whistle out of this truck? Also how long is the Diesel aeroturbine? Will it fit ahead of the cat in between the downpipe and the crossmember on my config?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:54 PM

I'm 5" straight piped and have the same issue -- not enoguh whistle and a bit too much exhaust. I don't have a silencer ring, no baffles, and have an Airraid replacement filter.

So -- I searched some forums and it looks like the next step is to quiet my exhaust down a bit and get the AFE Torque Tube which is compatible with the factory air box. It's around $100 I believe. I haven't ordered one, but from what I read many were impressed with the sound.

Maybe a larger turbo.... *smile*
Old 09-24-2004, 02:18 PM

AFE PG 7 + torque tube = turbo noise
Old 09-24-2004, 02:50 PM

Like stated above, Open up the intake and get rid of the stock air box. You will notice a huge diffrence. I did! Plus with my Magnaflow muffler you can hear it but I straight piped it and really could tell it was there.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:50 PM

check out my photo gallery for pics of my intake.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:47 PM

The Aeroturbine is 20 in. from inlet to outlet. The muffler itself is approx. 11.5 in. I have seen pictures of it in the location you want. I wish I could remember where I saw them I would send you there. Hope this will help you.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:38 PM

Wish the AeroTurbine wasn't so darn expensive...I dont know if there is 20" in the space or not, I think the crossmember might have to come off in order to cut the exhaust pipe in the correct place.

I dont want to go to an open element intake due to warranty concerns. Big reason I bought new was for warranty sake and sure cant afford to get hit with a huge bill on top of payments if DC won't honor warranty. As soon as my 100,000 is up I will get rid of box/drill holes. Will have 100,000 in less than 2 years the way I am going! So I am leaving the airbox in for now with the Air Raid drop in. Restriction guage has not moved at all and I have had a heck of a load on her. I am pretty skeptical about air improvements on trucks and dont usually notice any difference but I really can tell it spools up faster and is smoother. I used 5" exhaust pipe to replace stock baffle tube. Put silencer ring back in last night to check for difference in sound, and it did cut down on noise a lot but the baffle tube is what really makes the difference in the whole thing. I can still hear turbo fine now in the cab. Maybe the resonator is the way to go?