3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

exhaust came apart

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy exhaust came apart

Abuddy of mine bought a 2005 1-ton 4X4 QC SLT CTD the other day used. It had 1800 miles on it. He sadi he looked it over really good and it still look bran spankin' new. Well yesterday he was trying out running it pretty hard and doing doughnuts in a sand bar. He got it running pretty hot and the exhaust manifold looked like it was starting to glow. I got on him about that. But today he called me and said his truck sounded like it was straight piped and he heard a rattle. I went over and the the exhaust had separated just in front of the muffler. It looked like someone had beaten it apart before though. And now we can't get it back together. I was going to grind the inside of one pipe to try and make it fit. He is wondering if he takes it to the dealer will they fix it or give him heck What you guys think??? If they are going to bother him I will get it back on for him some how or talk him into buying a new and better exhaust.

Thanks for the input.

Mel
Old 08-02-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody purchased that truck and didn't keep it very long, obviously after trying it out straight piped. Makes you wonder why. Anyway, if he purchased it from the dealer's used car lot, I would most definitely take it back. If he didn't, probably out of luck.

I wouldn't worry too much about running it hard (doughnuts are cool!). There really isn't anything he can do to it in stock form that will hurt it.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:03 PM

he bought it at another used lot not the dealer. But it is still under warranty. He is going to call them tomorrow and see what they say.

I wouldn't worry too much about running it hard (doughnuts are cool!). There really isn't anything he can do to it in stock form that will hurt it.
I was wondering about the manifold starting to glow. I figured that thing had to be getting pretty hot for it to do that.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:05 PM

how did you see the manifold starting to glow????
Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 AM

we run these things on the dyno at night and you will always see the exh. manifold glowing red and almost looks like you can see right thru them. shouldnt be a problem.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by nickleinonen
how did you see the manifold starting to glow????

We popped the hood after he parked it and it was glowing. I've talked to others that said it shouldn't be a prob so he isn't going to worry about it. We put it back together today. didn't feel like dealing with the dealer.