3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
FAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which brake produces the most retardation.

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
Havent seen much mention of our brake so I though I would chime in here. With our brake for the 06 we do go through the ecm, same as Jake and Pac. We offer an air brake which comes with the air compressor. We are going to perform much better at the lower rpms than the others because we use a solid stainless steel butterfly valve. No holes. We use a bushing that doesnt need to be lubricated at all either. Also we dont use an electric solenoid to actuate the brake any more (US GEAR) That technology almost broke us in warranty claims about ten years ago. Electric solenoids dont get along with heat very well. We offer a two year parts and one year labour warranty on our brake.
I have narrowed my search for an exhaust brake down to two manufacturers. One is the Pacbrake model PRXB and the other is the BD exhaust brake. My choice will be one or the other. Since an exhaust brake only develops 75% as much braking force as an engine brake, I am looking for the best model that is presently producing the most retardation force.

Pacbrake has an air tank and 25 feet of air hose included as an enticement. BD does not need to be lubricated and has stainless steal parts as an enticement. BD is a couple hundred dollars less expensive to purchase.

Please inform me which of the two exhaust brake models is best from your research. I would like to hear negative views or failings experienced about those models. I have never had an exhaust brake on a pickup because this is my first pickup with a diesel engine. I am satisfied I bought the best engine available in a pickup, but now I do not have enough knowledge about exhaust brakes to make an intelligent choice. They both seem like excellent products. I suppose they both have the same life time service capability. Thank-you for your advice and the facts you have gathered.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:26 PM

BD may say it doesn't have to be lubricated, but I would lubricate the pivot points on whichever brake you choose. Its easy to do as they are all accessible either from under the hood, from under the truck, or through the wheel well.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 PM

Doesn't the BD brake have an air compressor? How does it work then?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 AM
FAY

BD Exhaust Brake air compressor.

Originally Posted by RickCJ
Doesn't the BD brake have an air compressor? How does it work then?
Rick, go back to message 34 in this same 'exhaust brake' thread to read what Pat Stewart says about the BD exhaust brake. BD does use an air compressor to activate an air cylinder which moves a stainless steel butterfly valve within the replaced CTD exhaust elbow right below the turbo-charger exhaust turbine outlet whenever you turn on the retardation. BD uses the same principle of electric motor driven air compressor pump operation that Pac uses. Both Pac and BD compressors can be used for other tasks like air bags and tire inflation. Pac has a small air storage tank that mounts on the truck's frame. BD used to use an electric solenoid unsuccessfully a decade ago, but has long since abandond that technology.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Does anyone run the PacBrake 1/2 gallon air compressor for an AIR HORN? Is it too small of a compressor or does it work just fine for the air horn?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by FAY
Rick, go back to message 34 in this same 'exhaust brake' thread to read what Pat Stewart says about the BD exhaust brake. BD does use an air compressor to activate an air cylinder which moves a stainless steel butterfly valve within the replaced CTD exhaust elbow right below the turbo-charger exhaust turbine outlet whenever you turn on the retardation. BD uses the same principle of electric motor driven air compressor pump operation that Pac uses. Both Pac and BD compressors can be used for other tasks like air bags and tire inflation. Pac has a small air storage tank that mounts on the truck's frame. BD used to use an electric solenoid unsuccessfully a decade ago, but has long since abandond that technology.

Yes I know they both have an air compressor, I just wanted you to know.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by FAY
I have narrowed my search for an exhaust brake down to two manufacturers. One is the Pacbrake model PRXB and the other is the BD exhaust brake. My choice will be one or the other. Since an exhaust brake only develops 75% as much braking force as an engine brake, I am looking for the best model that is presently producing the most retardation force.

Pacbrake has an air tank and 25 feet of air hose included as an enticement. BD does not need to be lubricated and has stainless steal parts as an enticement. BD is a couple hundred dollars less expensive to purchase.

Please inform me which of the two exhaust brake models is best from your research. I would like to hear negative views or failings experienced about those models. I have never had an exhaust brake on a pickup because this is my first pickup with a diesel engine. I am satisfied I bought the best engine available in a pickup, but now I do not have enough knowledge about exhaust brakes to make an intelligent choice. They both seem like excellent products. I suppose they both have the same life time service capability. Thank-you for your advice and the facts you have gathered.
PM Lary Ellis at the DTR store. My PacBrake is on it's way.