3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Is the Pac Brake PRXB worth the added expense over the standard Pac Brake? And what's the difference between the two?

The cheaper e brakes just have a butterfly to close the exhaust, they work best at 2500 rpm and up and the better e brakes use a bypass valve to allow more BHP at lower rpm.
Some are controlled by a pedal switch and some are PCM controlled!
Jacobs is PCM controlled and has a 3 second delay when you activate it. I prefer the switch, it activates as soon as you turn it on. They can be wired either way.

I prefer the better e brakes with low rpm retarding and not PCM controlled.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
the pac brake wont affect your warranty, and it is said to be a better unit than the jake,, I am going to go with the pac brake personally after doing alot of research on it

Kevin

The Jacobs is better than the Pacbrake!
The Pacbrake PBXR is better than the Jacobs.

US gear D cellerator
BD Brake
Banks Brake

are very good!

After lots of research I bought the BD Brake and it has worked excellent for over 6yrs. now.
http://www.bd-vfi.com/ram/exhaustbrakes.php
Old 01-30-2007, 08:11 PM

When I mention the pac brake, I am refering to the pxrb. From the research that I have done, the pxrb unit has the greatest brake hp of all. Now I am not trying to say that the others are bad, they are all good, they all do their jobs, just not quite as good as the pxrb.

Kevin
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 PM

where can i find online the pxrb
Old 01-30-2007, 08:23 PM

http://www.pacbrake.com/ This is a good place to start. Excellent people very nice to deal with

Kevin
Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 PM
J&L

the Jacobs and the Pacbrake PBXR both have about 170 brake horsepower at max rpms per their webs. Where the Pacbrake PBXR has a bit more braking is in the 1500 rpm range due to the PBXR new design. Pacbrake.com web shows how it works. Both work great but Dodge will warranty the Cummins if a Jacobs causes engine problems. Dodge will not cover damage to the Cummins from other aftermaket EBs if the EB has caused the engine problem.
JIM
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 PM

I'm going with the approved Jacobs Brake. I got over 45K invested in this truck, I'm sticking with Dodge parts. The one I picked up today was under 800.00.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by J&L
Both work great but Dodge will warranty the Cummins if a Jacobs causes engine problems. Dodge will not cover damage to the Cummins from other aftermaket EBs if the EB has caused the engine problem.
JIM
This is the exact reply I got when I talked to my dealer. He said DC can not restrict what I put on my truck but they can refuse service if that part directly caused the problem. I like the new PacBrake over the Jacobs, I like the use of air vs. vacume.
There's a guy on ebay selling the pacbrake for 899 and another guy selling for 1199. The only thing making this decision hard is the warranty thing......
I guess I'll just keep reading and learning!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 AM

Check out Pac Brakes warranty, which I confirmed before my purchase of the PXRB - if failure occurs due to the PacBrake, with documentation, PacBrake will pay for the repair. Most after-market add ons, if the cause of a failure, will void any warranty coverage - but if the add-on did NOT cause or contribute to the failure, the manufacturer's warranty must cover (if still valid). My PXRB also provides an air supply, and a single simple toggle switch (on/off). See the photos in my gallery.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:27 AM

I never thought about PacBrakes warranty, thats good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:37 AM

Both my local dodge dealers here stock and sell the pxrb. Neither have the jake brake in stock, only by special order. That tells me something

Kevin
Old 01-31-2007, 11:16 AM

The Jacobs Exhaust Brake is backed by a comprehensive 3-year/100,000-mile (160,934 km) warranty on the exhaust brake assembly, with a 3-year/36,000-mile (57,936 km) warranty on all other kit components.
You can purchase the Jacobs Exhaust Brake as a dealer-installed option. Plus, you can even finance your exhaust brake with your new truck purchase. Ask for these part numbers at your Dodge dealer or Cummins distributor:

This was rite out of Cummins web site.
I couldn't find anything that say's the other type exhaust brakes are a approved DC part.

I'd have a hard time trusting Pacbrake to warranty my truck for anything. They mite fix the brake it's self but nothing else.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 AM

Pac or Jake.

You weigh in at 23K! either will work and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. The PRXB will work better at lower RPM. You have a manual so there is no TC to distroy. If you don't buy a PRXB (they have units that are just fixed orifaced like the jake) I'd say you might as well buy the Jake as there aren't any water/freeze up problems with a vacuum system, unlike an air system. If you want max braking all the time, and a way to air up tires and air bags, the PRXB comes with a compressor, an air tank and a hose with pressure gage. Your warranty is of course the subject of a never ending debate. Talk to your Dodge service manager. The one here in Ft. Sask installed a Pac for one of their customers I know. I installed my own with the help of a friend. See if he'll cover you if his shop does the install. That's an obvious yes on the Jake, but it never hurts to ask about the PRXB. (If the manager has more then two brain cells to rub together he'll see the only difference is that one is air driven and the other is vacuum driven.) Before all of the Inliners chime in here, the closer the valve is located to the turbo outlet, the smaller the pressurized volume is and thus the sooner the back pressure spikes and the sooner the brake effect occurs. As well, fewer joints are exposed to increased pressure and thus there is a lessened risk of leakage. (No disrespect to the Inliners here, even the PRXB for the Dmax is an inline unit.) Any kind of engine braking on your truck is going to make you smile, especailly when you go passed someone pulled over at the bottom of a big grade who brakes are smoking. My vote is for the Pac PRXB, but like dodge ford chevy, oil brand loyalty or blondes brunettes or red heads, it's up to You. Get some whoa, then all that go won't be the end of you.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:13 PM

I've been going back and forth between the Pac Brake PRXB and the US Gear D-Celerator. The Jacobs is out because the vacuum pump mounts right where I don't want it. So, let me ask you guys this: Can the compressor and tank for the PRXB be mounted anywhere with minimal hassle? I don't want any part of the unit mounted in front of the intake horn. My final decision is going to be driven by the install. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 PM

Yes Pauly, you can mount that whereever fits your fancy, if the supplied hose isnt long enough, just go get a longer one

Kevin

Quick Reply: exhaust brake