3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Engineered Diesel 63/68/14 Detailed install with pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also forgot to mention I'm keeping the stock 3rd gen manifold for now
Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 4CEFED
This looks like the turbo for me...I was set on getting a set of twins(my goal is 600whp) stock like spool. If this will give me the same thing then I might as well go this route, and keep it simple! Know anything about this HOLSET CHEETAH??
The Cheeta is from Fleece, it's a very nice turbo but the only reason to buy it is if you live in a strict state like California for spot inspections(it looks like a stock turbo) or if you have a stock/s400 based twin set up and you want more. You can drop the Cheeta in the stockers place for more push up top without needing to change all your piping. Most kits do not allow you to change turbos easily. The drawback is the Cheeta is expensive and you can get a lot of turbo for what you spend on the Cheeta.
Don't get me wrong it's a nice turbo but if you don't need it save some cash and have Fleece build you another s300 based charger.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by sladek15
Thanks ryethomas for great write up. I'll definitely be using it to install my turbo. I just recently purchased pretty much the same turbo. Bw 63/68/14 wastegated with 3rd gen cover. I'm hoping everything bolts up with little problems. But I'm mostly worried about my 5in dp. I know your dp is very tight in there. Do you think there is anyway a 5in would fit? Or will I have to put stock one back on and expand it to the rest of my 5in exhaust. Also what kind of improvement over stock will I feel? Is it very noticeable? I will be doin 50hp injectors later but gonna keep it stock for now. Also do you think my edge will light this turbo very well and do you think the hot unlock would be a good investment for now at least until efi live comes out for my truck. Also is there anything i can get before install so i have it handy before install like gaskets or studs or ect. Thanks for write up and comments.
No idea on down pipe, what flange is your 63 coming with? I can't comment on what you will feel, again I don't believe a box turbo will perform like a custom unit, but I'm sure it will be a great improvement. The turbo should light just fine with stock sticks. Try it with the Edge programming you have, if you need more then get the hot unlock.
I would soak the downpipe clamp, and elbow clamp with PB blaster for 12-24 hrs first. I would plan on them breaking anyway and have them on hand if they do. Should have a new exhaust manifold/turbo gasket. Manifold gaskets to the block can be reused if you wish.
That's about it, good luck.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM

Not totally sure on flange yet. Buying turbo used and it hasn't arrived yet but texted the sellar today and he not sure off hand but he had it on his 04 so guessing hx40 flange but not sure yet. And you said you don't believe a box turbo will perform like a custom so I guess please excuse my ignorance on the term box turbo but I didn't think this was just an off the shelf bw box turbo. It has an external waste gate with a third gen cover and was built to fit the truck that the sellar of the turbo owned. Like I said please excuse my lack of knowledge on this and I could be wrong but I thought a box bw turbo needed many modifications and needed tweaked and worked to fit and work properly with our trucks while this one I'm getting is suppose to be made for these trucks. Or so I thought I guess. Been wrong many times before though.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Without knowing exactly what you are getting or who the original purchaser got it from I can't really tell you much. If the turbo was on another third gen and had the hx 40 then you should be ok. You may even have a little more room for your downpipe. I'm sure you will be very happy with it, is a great upgrade. I would find out who he bought it from and call them and see where they reccomend you gate it. Otherwise you should be good.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 PM

The seller said he got it from industrial injection. I emailed them today cause they don't have that turbo on their website and to find more info and see if they knew anything about it buy haven't heard back from them yet. Either way it's being delivered so I'll have to figure something to do with it when it gets here. But if I dont hear back from ii from email before it gets hear then I'll give them a call when it does. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
The Cheeta is from Fleece, it's a very nice turbo but the only reason to buy it is if you live in a strict state like California for spot inspections(it looks like a stock turbo) or if you have a stock/s400 based twin set up and you want more. You can drop the Cheeta in the stockers place for more push up top without needing to change all your piping. Most kits do not allow you to change turbos easily. The drawback is the Cheeta is expensive and you can get a lot of turbo for what you spend on the Cheeta.
Don't get me wrong it's a nice turbo but if you don't need it save some cash and have Fleece build you another s300 based charger.
Well If i can get past 600 whp with one turbo and keep it fun for the street then I will, I need to get all my mods hashed out before I deploy so my buddy(who is going to do the work) doesn't get the wrong stuff. What fuel mods do I need to hit 600 whp?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Well If i can get past 600 whp with one turbo and keep it fun for the street then I will, I need to get all my mods hashed out before I deploy so my buddy(who is going to do the work) doesn't get the wrong stuff. What fuel mods do I need to hit 600 whp?

Smarty or EFI
Trans
Turbo call Fleece or ED
Lift pump 150 gpm
Arson 3
50-60 hp sticks
Studs
Done!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:14 PM

Thanks buddy. I was gonna do 90s and a cam(more for the egr effect). Guess are 90s too much?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:44 AM

Thanks buddy. I was gonna do 90s and a cam(more for the egr effect). Guess are 90s too much?
Cam is a good idea, not necessary but you will benefit some. I am not a fan of going with big sticks, well anymore. With today's tuning you can get a lot of power and better mileage and driveability out of a smaller stick. 90s can go 700 when tuned right, 50-60 can get you 600-650 easy.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM

I'm getting efi for the tuning side. Its my daily so if I can get better mileage with smaller sticks and still get my 600 goal. Ill just get the 60s .I've never driven a high hp cummins before but I'm thinking 600 should cover my craving!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Ok towed a lot lately, 10-12k+ and I have to say my setup has impressed me. I am more comfortable towing heavy with this turbo/tuning than with my big truck with compounds and the works. Now on my big truck I didn't have EFI so smoke and water temps were always an issue towing heavy. I have been towing this weight with my 1 and only EFI tune, no switching anything. I will try to post up some pics later of my truck and dump trailer loaded.
Towing is not an issue with this charger. Temps are not an issue, and water temps never got over 205 and I was working her pretty good.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 AM

Name:  Dumptrailer.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  119.4 KB

And that's the light load with dry wood. I haven't gotten pics of the trailer loaded with the big green oak stuff.