3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Engine Lube????

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Primrose 405 for summer and 409 for the winter up north.

I buy it here
http://store.avlube.com/addiga.html
Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
The problems start when a heat threshold is reached that promotes the breakdown of the sulphur bearing compounds into less complicated easier to form ones that are corrosive and/or caustic.

In internal combustion engines sulfuric acids are formed that the oil has to netralize.The sulfuric oxides are exhausted into the atmospher where they can recombine into other compounds. In extreme pressure situations sulfuric gasses form that are bad for humans and the equipment.
So what starts out good for pumps and injectors, ends up bad for rings and bearings?

Someone mentioned higher cetane in this thread, and I read it on TDR also. I asked this question over there and never got an answer .......... what does cetane do in a diesel.

Some believe that octane makes a gasser perform better. When in reality that is only in high compression applications where lower octane would cause detination or pre-ignition. Octane doesn't make power, it allows you to make power. But, I have no clue what cetane does in a diesel.

A little closer to the topic .......... I don't run additives as often as maybe I should, but when I start getting a bit of a rough idle or lower mileage, I've found Howes Meaner Kleaner cleans it up quicker than either of the PS offerings. I run 8oz per tank to do this. I should probably start running 4oz per tank all the time.

I need to update my sig, but I've ran the EZ, Quad Race and have a SPDiesel IIe on the way. I've drug a trailer in/out of every state and I'm still on the original injectors @247,000 miles using Howes.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JHardwick
Someone mentioned higher cetane in this thread, and I read it on TDR also. I asked this question over there and never got an answer .......... what does cetane do in a diesel.

Some believe that octane makes a gasser perform better. When in reality that is only in high compression applications where lower octane would cause detination or pre-ignition. Octane doesn't make power, it allows you to make power. But, I have no clue what cetane does in a diesel.
I've addressed this before - don't know if it was this thread or not...

Cetane is a measure of a fuel's propensity to knock: napthalene and n-cetane are mixed together in an ASTM-CFR test engine in proportion to match the knock characteristics of the test fuel.
Unlike octane however, a higher cetane number fuel will knock more readily, since it tends to have fewer long-chain parrafin-type molecules.
Diesel has an octane rating of about 15-25 (don't put it in your gasser!)

Higher cetane fuel will make cold weather starting and operation easier, but offers no power-producing benefits by itself. Lower cetane fuel won't hurt a compression-ignition engine, but may prevent it from starting or running at all.

I've noticed a rash of timing-rattle issues lately across the board, I wouldn't be surprised if the cause is the new ULSD, which has higher cetane, 1% less BTUs per gallon, and fewer aromatics.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Not this thread, but that's an explanation I can understand
Old 02-26-2007, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R

Cetane is a measure of a fuel's propensity to knock: napthalene and n-cetane are mixed together in an ASTM-CFR test engine in proportion to match the knock characteristics of the test fuel.
Unlike octane however, a higher cetane number fuel will knock more readily, since it tends to have fewer long-chain parrafin-type molecules.
Diesel has an octane rating of about 15-25 (don't put it in your gasser!)

Higher cetane fuel will make cold weather starting and operation easier, but offers no power-producing benefits by itself. Lower cetane fuel won't hurt a compression-ignition engine, but may prevent it from starting or running at all.

I've noticed a rash of timing-rattle issues lately across the board, I wouldn't be surprised if the cause is the new ULSD, which has higher cetane, 1% less BTUs per gallon, and fewer aromatics.
You're a nerd.

(good post!)
Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM

It's true that biodiesel has more lubricity than dino diesel and that is the problem....orings, gaskets, seals, and seats tend not to seal as well when the fuel has a higher composition of bio fuel....too much of a good thing?
Some older gasket, o-ring, and seal material can be degraded by the increased solvent power of bio diesel. Cummins recommends B5 only currently. ks
Old 02-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

i have had great luck with the amsoil cetain boost and the stanadyne performance formula
Old 02-26-2007, 06:35 PM
BR1

Originally Posted by redspider
howes, howes meaner cleaner, seafoam and sometimes powerservice in the grey bottle. I like to mix it up.
i didn't think running seafoam in these engines was good, as it has alcohol in it.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lark
You're a nerd.
That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all day!