3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Engine Lube????

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Lube????

What type of fuel additive do you guys recommend? I hear the knew Low Sulf. fuel does not provide enough engine lube...
Old 11-23-2006, 12:56 AM

Actually they have added a bunch of additives to combat the lack of sulpher. Now the problem will be to keep your fuel filter changed often for the next while while the deposits break down in your engine from the additional detergents

Kevin
Old 11-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Banned

No need to add fuel conditioners for lubricity, but it's a good idea to run injector cleaners and most of them have lubricity improvers in them.

Just a heads up, sulpher is not a lubricant, it's the process that removes sulpher that lowers lubricants.

Like morkable said, a very good idea to change fuel filters more often until ULSD has been in the pipelines for awhile.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:08 AM

Power Service in the grey bottle from Walmart is a good choice.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Silver PS...
Old 11-23-2006, 01:19 PM

The B20 I had sampled recently showed a HFRR ( High Frequency Recprocating Rig ) lubricity rating of 0.244 which is very good. The new ULSD standard requires a minimum HFRR of 0.520. The lower the HFRR # the better, these are facts, believe what you want.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:41 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like silver ps (not that cold here in the winter, maybe 10-20 on the coldest days) and I usually mix about 4oz or so of marvel mystery oil.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:14 PM

I use silver PS from Wally Mart. I have also used Lucas with good results on fuel millage. Not sure what product would be a better choice, I think they are both good.

-Troy
Old 11-23-2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by bluebull
Just a heads up, sulpher is not a lubricant, it's the process that removes sulpher that lowers lubricants.
I don't believe this to be accurate.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:17 PM

howes, howes meaner cleaner, seafoam and sometimes powerservice in the grey bottle. I like to mix it up.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:42 PM

Being a long haul trucker and living here in the arctic, I use howes meaner cleaner and have for millions of miles.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by bluebull
Originally Posted by JHardwick
I don't believe this to be accurate.
Actually, it is accurate...
Sulphur in an internal combustion engine has no beneficial qualities, and several undesirable effects.
Refining sulphur out of #2 (so the new diesel particulate filters, catalytic converters and EGR systems won't be damaged) removes the lighter aromatics and reduces it's lubricity. Additives are supposed to be blended in before it can get into your fuel tank, but many don't wish to take a chance - and add their own conditioner.
The absence of some of the lighter aromatics both reduces the energy content of #2 by ~1% and raises it's cetane number a few points.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Actually, it is accurate...
Sulphur in an internal combustion engine has no beneficial qualities, and several undesirable effects.
Refining sulphur out of #2 (so the new diesel particulate filters, catalytic converters and EGR systems won't be damaged) removes the lighter aromatics and reduces it's lubricity. Additives are supposed to be blended in before it can get into your fuel tank, but many don't wish to take a chance - and add their own conditioner.
The absence of some of the lighter aromatics both reduces the energy content of #2 by ~1% and raises it's cetane number a few points.
I'm certain that sulphur acts as a lubricant, I *think*. Being a machinist for 20 years, all cutting oils and fluids have high sulphur content for lubricity. High temp alloys usually require some moly based fluid though.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JHardwick
I'm certain that sulphur acts as a lubricant, I *think*. Being a machinist for 20 years, all cutting oils and fluids have high sulphur content for lubricity. High temp alloys usually require some moly based fluid though.
Actually, your both right in the contexts that you reference. Sulphur by itself is an abrasive and easily combines to form compounds that are corrosive and erosive.

On the other hand, sulphur bearing compounds provide a high pressure lubricant used in extreme applications to raise the seizure point to acceptable levels. Notice I said sulphur BEARING compounds not pure or free sulphur.

The problems start when a heat threshold is reached that promotes the breakdown of the sulphur bearing compounds into less complicated easier to form ones that are corrosive and/or caustic.

In internal combustion engines sulfuric acids are formed that the oil has to netralize.The sulfuric oxides are exhausted into the atmospher where they can recombine into other compounds. In extreme pressure situations sulfuric gasses form that are bad for humans and the equipment.

Just saying sulphur is good or bad is an extremly broad statement that could be right as often as it is wrong.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Actually, your both right in the contexts that you reference. Sulphur by itself is an abrasive and easily combines to form compounds that are corrosive and erosive.
That's why I keep referencing it's non-lubricative qualities in an internal combustion engine... we're familiar with sulphur-bearing anti-seize and high pressure, high temperature grease.

Quick Reply: Engine Lube????