3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Electronic transfer case heated seats relocation for cubby hole gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic transfer case heated seats relocation for cubby hole gauges

I wanted to mount 3 gauges in my 3rd gen but didn't want to loose my grab handle. I didn't like the dash mount or steering pod option either. So I decided on the Autometer 3 gauge cubby hole mount. The only problem there is I have a Laramie so I have the electronic transfer case switch and the heated seat switches.

So I decided to relocate the electronic transfer case controller and the switches for the heated seats. I decided if I was going to move things around anyway I would move the HVAC controls down and mount the gauges in the middle below the radio.

The first order of business was enlarging the lower opening to fit the HVAC controls. The HVAC controls are slightly larger than the cubby hole opening on the bottom. I had to enlarge the opening by 1/8-1/16 mostly on the bottom.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:09 PM

Next I installed the gauges into the Autometer gauge pod. I have Dipricol gauges so I had to work on the braces that hold the gauge pod to the center console of the truck. Autometer gauges mount on top and bottom and the Dipricol gauges mount on the sides. So I used some L shaped corner braces I bought at the hardware store and cut/bent/drilled them to fit. This part was pretty time consuming because the tolerances are close since the gauge pod was designed to fit the smaller lower hole.

I next embarked upon cutting the dash to fit the Electronic transfer case and seat controls. I cut the Laramie panel where the drivers heated seat switch had been. I then cut the dash where the cigarette lighter had been and epoxied the electronic transfer case in place. To get this to fit I had to also cut out a portion of the dash for clearance behind the control.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:11 PM

I then cut out for the heated seat controls to the left and right of the newly relocated HVAC controls. I expoxied them in place also.

I didn’t have to cut or splice any wires but the electronic transfer case was pretty snug. Make sure you mark the proper wires for the heated seats as well as the switches because the switches are designed to go with the corresponding wires.

Pics are in my gallery
Old 11-02-2004, 06:13 PM

Sounds cool.. No pics in gallery though.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:12 PM

Unhappy

And I get nervous just drilling a single hole Can't wait til the pic's are posted. Did you check out the roof mount gauges? I just saw them in another post, I like that idea, much easier than what you went through.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:19 PM

Oh believe me I was very nervous. I bought an extra dash console off Ebay before I started. So theroretically if I bought a new transfer case/heated seat panel I could return it to normal.

Hopefully the pics will be approved soon. It turned out pretty well.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:29 PM

Thumbs up

They are there now and look great!! The extra panel you bought... was it the same brushed alum as you have in the pic's? I always have liked that look.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:29 PM

no the silver is part of the laramie package it was just the standard black.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:15 PM

looks pretty good there.... i might relocate the hvac controls down to the cubby to make room in the dash for a lcd moniter
Old 11-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Banned

That looks awesome. Great job. You've inspired me to get started on my 4 gauge pillar.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:18 AM

You said you had to enlarge the lower hole.
What about the upper hole, wasn't it a little too large for the pod that was built to fit in the lower hole?

Great looking installation by the way.
The reason I didn't go with the cubby hole mount, the gauges are too low. Too far away from the other instruments. The new overhead windshield mount has the same problem. You have to take youe eyes off the road to see the gauges. I really like your idea though. I wish I had done mine like that. (I used the duel steering column mount, and the SRT-10 pillar)
Old 03-27-2005, 12:56 PM

No the autometer cubby hole mount is just barely big enough to cover the top hole.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:51 PM

Just checked out pics in gallery,
That is a Sweet install, it looks stock!!, you can tell you took your time and did an excellent job, congrats on a truly custom interior and a great idea (I should have known you were from VA)