3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

EGT / Probe Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT / Probe Question

I am sure this has been asked, but.. either I am NOT search savvy or not patient enough to sort thru 144 pages of responses to find it, so forgive a repeat post...

I have a REAL NEWBIE stupid question/concern/fear, but I bought a set of gauges for the truck EGT/Boost/Trans Temp, I don't have the courage (skill maybe but courage... uh NO) required to drill and tap the exhaust manifold or intake manifold on my daily driver.. SOOO, I called a local Diesel Performance shop, they will do both the intake and exhaust hole/tap and install both of the probes for $75 (great deal as far as I am concerned). HOWEVER... they have got the ever loving BEJESUS scared out of me at the moment with a statement about the EGT probe. The claim is that stainless steel probes... which is what mine is will melt if subject to temps over 1300deg. And I REALLY do not want to send a piece of stainless slag thru the turbo on this thing!!!

Is there a legitimate concern here? No mods on the truck today, and prolly the most I will end up doing is a programmer intake and airbox... and NOT for tire shredding drag racing truck pulling events... just daily driving and pulling the camper.

So what should I expect as the normal EGT for a stock truck? Or pulling a camper? And if not stainless steel probes, what are the other options? I thought spending almost $100 on an EGT would end up netting me a decent gauge, I guess I was wrong...

To add to my concern and frustration, I just got off the phone with the manufacturer to check on the warranty and what it potentially covers... NOT real pleased with them at the moment (she got real rude with me) But they claim (well the lady says she spoke with a tech in the back who "runs everywhere, all day long at 1600 deg with no problems and his install is post-turbo" which is what they recommend)

Not sure why... but SOMETHING about that statement scares me even MORE!!! Conservatively, do you not lose about 200 degrees across the turbo, or so I have read... so wouldn't that make the EGT around 1800 degrees? WTH... what temp does aluminum melt at?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I call BS.

Pre turbo is the best way to go and these probes do not melt at 1300 degrees.

Who is the manufacture of the gauges?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by HighTide
But they claim (well the lady says she spoke with a tech in the back who "runs everywhere, all day long at 1600 deg with no problems and his install is post-turbo" which is what they recommend)
they must replace engines daily then, on a stock 5.9 w/ no load youll barely get over a 1100 degrees Pre turbo
Old 04-17-2008, 08:49 AM

What guage set-up are you trying to run? 1600 all daylong is too hot, Highest I have seen is 1500 for a blink on the drag strip. I would say 1400 should be the max, and being an old Ford guy I try and keep it below 1250. Pre-turbo is the preferred, gives you real time data. Post turbo is a Wag, no one can say for sure what the difference is (200 or 300 or something in between).
Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by snoyes
What guage set-up are you trying to run? 1600 all daylong is too hot, Highest I have seen is 1500 for a blink on the drag strip. I would say 1400 should be the max, and being an old Ford guy I try and keep it below 1250. Pre-turbo is the preferred, gives you real time data. Post turbo is a Wag, no one can say for sure what the difference is (200 or 300 or something in between).
To all that replied.. thanks!! I appreciate the quick response!! Glow Shift is the manufacturer.. http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index...ROD&ProdID=332 and the shop is very reputable around here.. I think he was trying to tell me that LONG TERM high heat can take them out and if you have a choice go to ... something other than a stainless steel probe, I just don't know what else there is out there to choose from.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by HighTide
To all that replied.. thanks!! I appreciate the quick response!! Glow Shift is the manufacturer.. http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index...ROD&ProdID=332 and the shop is very reputable around here.. I think he was trying to tell me that LONG TERM high heat can take them out and if you have a choice go to ... something other than a stainless steel probe, I just don't know what else there is out there to choose from.
Do your self a favor a get a good name brand gauge; Autometer, Isspro, Dipricol
Old 04-17-2008, 11:43 AM

I've used Autometer, Diprocol, Isspro, and the Bully Dog, but never the brand you speak of. I know it was expensive, but I would also recommend you go with one of these as I have never heard of glowshift? (Westach, Edge, Quad, etc. a few others as well...)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:44 PM

Ok need a little help here, just installed a boost and egt gauge. Boost works fine Egt is not working. Don't know if the ground wire plays a big part on it but its grounded to the metal plate just under the steering column. Gauge does not even jump around when key is turn on/off. Any feedback appreciated.