3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

EGT Probe placement once and for all, please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGT Probe placement once and for all, please!!

Hey all,

I was all ready to tap my manifold today. On Sundays I try and devote t least two hours to my truck (for the family of course). And, now I read a post where taping post turbo is better. Can I get some feedback on this please? What you have you done and the temps to look for with each application (pre and post) would help a ton.

Moj
Old 08-28-2005, 04:32 PM

I'm a pre turbo believer. I want to know the true temps coming out of the engine. Post turbo temps can vary up to 400-500 degrees cooler from what is actually coming out of the engine depending on the load your placing on the engine.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Chapter President

PRE for me

I am pre-turbo as well. I agree with Blue600 regarding knowing what the temps are coming out of the engine.

HUMP
Old 08-28-2005, 05:01 PM

I think I will go pre turbo

-----between 5 and 6.

There are claims of post turbo being as accurate. However, I have yet to read of some with a post turbo install and what temps to expect with such.

Moj
Old 08-28-2005, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Blue600
I'm a pre turbo believer. I want to know the true temps coming out of the engine. Post turbo temps can vary up to 400-500 degrees cooler from what is actually coming out of the engine depending on the load your placing on the engine.

No way so how is it that becomes any degree less with less then 10 inch of cross over through turbo from pre to post maybe a little but not 4-5. I would have melted down my pistons already as I have blown 1100 + post.

My X-monitor gauges instr. it to be installed post.
and my banks is pre as Instr.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:32 PM

Couple months ago we went to Arizona (13000 lbs 5th wheel). 114* going through the desert heading to flagstaf. I saw 1300 a few times and had to let off or drop a gear. Where would I be if I was post turbo. I would have my foot in it.

John
Old 08-28-2005, 11:57 PM

Read this Post, there is mixed feelings, Look at what member "BIG JOE" has to say..., very interesting. After reading MANY posts about this same subject for months, I still dont' know where Im gonna put mine. Link Below...

EGT Link
Old 08-29-2005, 12:34 AM

Think of it this way? a turbo is cheaper than the block. Get the most accurate reading you can by the back hottest cylinders. I'd rather know for sure what temps are in the engine and have to may or may not worry about my probe busting up the turbo. For any good it does you, i to have read on here by someone else that the turbos can have some large objects go through them and live. And just for precautions im willing to change the probe every 2 years or so.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:42 AM

I put mine pre turbo, on the 5-6 cylinders.. Here is a picture..

Scott
Old 08-29-2005, 12:48 AM

"Diesel Junkie" , good pic. Lemme ask ya, Did you have to use a right angle drill, or where you able to get a regular cordless drill or something in there? How tight is it to get a drill in that area?? Thanks.

Troy
Old 08-29-2005, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
"Diesel Junkie" , good pic. Lemme ask ya, Did you have to use a right angle drill, or where you able to get a regular cordless drill or something in there? How tight is it to get a drill in that area?? Thanks.

Troy
I think I can answer your question because I put my probe exactly where Dieseljunkie did. After taking off the right front tire and wheel well liner, I was then able to fit my Makita cordless drill in there and drill a perfectly straight hole. This drill is the one I used by the way. It's compact, light, powerfull, and the charge on the battery seems to last forever!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:25 PM

I have a friend who bought the Pacbrake for his 04.5 and installed the post turbo thermocouple in the port that is in the Pacbrake housing. He then purchased the Juice/Attitude and drilled the manifold for the thermocouple that comes with the attitude monitor. He still has his analog guage with post turbo egt hooked up and compares the two all of the time. He said he typically sees 180 degree difference in the two locations with post obviously being the cooler fo the two. He did comment that the post location is not near as repeatable or stable as pre turbo though.

FWIW, mine is drilled and tapped in the manifold where Edge recommended it be.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:25 PM

This is a tough one folks, it seems we have the best of both evils.
Cummins recomends the probe be post turbo, and all aftermarkets recomend pre turbo.
One would like to follow the manufacture recomendation (cummins), however cummins severely frowns on all aftermarket accessories.
Kinda hard to know what to do, I say follow your gut, some things work for some people, and some dont.
I think you should follow which ever manufacturer you trust most.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Agreed.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:33 PM

Great Input

Thanks for all of the help. I will sit on it till the holiday weekend ......... And, then bust out my drill..

Quick Reply: EGT Probe placement once and for all, please!!