3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

The EFI live question and hopefully answer thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gilaphreak
That's awesome. The more I learn about the EFI, the more I'm starting to think that it's the thing for me. Is the switchable tuning on the fly? I'd like a tune slightly overfueled for rolling coal, then have the optimal tune handy for when somebody gets to feeling froggy! Any news on when it comes out?

Mike, that sounds like a good deal. What kind of services do you guys offer on custom tunes?
The switchable tuning will be available on the fly. No release date at this time for CSP. We are working thru some different beta concerns and files trying to get things worked out for the final release right now.

We can build a tune for about whatever you are looking for on a stock to a full race truck - except dedicated smoke or lope tunes.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just wanted to wake this old girl back up again. Just so everyone knows the CSP5 switch is available. You can use your V2 directly or a few companies have switches you can mount in your dash, heck one even has a split OBDII so you can continue to run you OBDII driven electronic gauge packs like a CTS.
Unfortunately some companies like EDGE and EFI Live can't get on the same page so at this time you can't use your CTS to switch tunes, and it doesn't look like you will be able to anytime soon. Good news is the manual switches are very reasonably priced so its not a huge deal.

I still have not purchased switchable tuning as I don't feel a need. I run my street tune for everything, (well right now I'm running my single injection event tune this tank to see if it can do anything for this terrible winter blend mileage) but wanted to let everyone know its out there.

Also wanted to see if anyone had any new questions.

I can't tell you how impressed I am with EFI Live, and how much better it is. Have a great Holiday Season and slow down and be safe. Rye....
Old 12-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by gilaphreak
Great post, Rye! After reading this, I am now rethinking my decision on getting a Smarty S-06. Especially if they're gonna lock the truck to that programmer only... I've heard tons of good things about the EFI. I wasn't aware that you could data log and send it off to have it done, I figured someone had to sit in-truck with their laptop and tweak it - something I wouldn't feel comfortable letting myself do, (nor any of these little hole in the wall shops around here.)

If I were to spring for an EFI, I'd want the V2. Do these boxes come with some presets so I can run it right out of the box? And how many different tunes can be stored in it? I was looking at the Smarty because of the sheer amount of smoke you get along with the great power gains. Would it be possible to create a tune that is comparable to a Smarty for when I'm just farting around in town and feel like rolling some coal?

Last but not least, how hard is the EFI to undo? If I get the EFI and decide that I don't like it, I definitely don't want to be stuck with it. From what I gather here, and around the forums; the EFI is a no brainer! Are there any disadvantages that an EFI V2 would have compared to a Smarty?

Needless to say, You've greatly piqued my interest in the EFI Live! I look forward to hearing back and getting this thing running like a champ! It's time to get rid of the Six Gun and unleash the beast!
WHY would someone WANT to make a bunch of smoke? That only makes diesel power look really environmentally dirty. People have got to stop thinking that "rolling coal" is cool and impressive. It is not. People look at that and think " Wow another stupid redneck ***hole proving it". Seriously just stop it. Ever stop to think about WHY the EPA is forcing manufacturers to ruin new trucks with emissions controls? A DPF is expressly designed to prevent soot from smoke. No more "rolling coal". There they fixed it for you.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rye, ATPMike, is there a downside to running a single event tune in an '06?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 AM

Single event tune can be Dirty on some trucks, mine included. I have not seen any significant improvement in mileage, spool is a little slower than my street tune, I need more pedal for the same power as my street tune (towards the upper levels power is the same but low throttle to mid I need more pedal), and it has been reported a single event tune is going to raise in cylinder pressure due to one larger event. Some have had issues with cold starts, mine starts fine but usually coughs a nice cloud which it never does stock or my street tune.
Some love the sound, my truck is loud enough with a normal tune (but I'm getting old).

So I guess the downside for me is its a little less responsive, louder, DIRTY (and by dirty I mean a constant haze at any throttle input that never clears up not black smoke dirt. I don't like either!)

Upside is all relative, some have gained mileage, and their is a theory a single event may cut down on injector wear but only time and miles will tell for sure.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:20 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm ok. Oddly and perhaps not the best description, but sounds just like driving an older diesel truck. lol Not exactly the way I'd imagine would be beneficial for driveability and efficiency.

I was just reading the other thread where the 3rd event was talked about, in the cam change thread, and how little affect it had on the truck (mpg & oil dirtiness). That was eye opening. Yall really have dug deep into the common mysteries & theory of the 3rd gen trucks. I appreciate that.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 PM

When I say its dirty, its relative to an EFI Live or custom tune. This is not a Smoke machine or haze monster it's just with EFI Live you have the ability to tune almost all smoke and haze out. With the single event its not really possible, so it hazes a bit. Compared to most box tuners it's still a very clean tune, just not when compared to my Street Tune.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:24 PM

Well, I finally made the plunge and got myself set up with an EFI v2, and tune from Les at Silver Bullet Tuning. I opted in on the CSP5 pass-through switch from Starlite Diesel for gits and shiggles since it was only a little more.

All I can say is "WOW!" I noticed a significant increase in gas mileage accross all tunes. ~3-4mpg on the overhead lie-o-meter. Throttle response is greatly increased, as well as increased spool times. I can also tell a pretty good bump in power as well.

He set me up with 5 tunes on the CSP5 of increasing power: Stock, 12v/MPG(Single injection event tune,) Street, Hot, and Race. They each perform extemely well, but I'm most impressed with the single injection event tune. For me, it seems like it's a bit more responsive than the other tunes. There is a haze at startup in low temperatures and on takeoff like Rye said. However, it feels like it just drives better. Plus it sounds dang cool with the old school 12v rattle. I haven't yet had the chance to hand calc the tunes individually to see which actually is the most efficient, but plan to do so in time.

Another noteworthy benefit that I immediately noticed is the transmission handling (Across all tunes.) With this EFI tune, under WOT, my truck will shift at near redline; so I get the full power of each gear. It also feels like it climbs each subsequent gear faster, which I'm guessing is a side effect of shifting into each gear from a higher RPM? Before, it would shift 1-2-3, then take twice as long before it would hit 4th; now it's almost fluid.

I've only been running them for a few days, and this is a first draft tune. Les is gonna have me send him some logs in a few days to make sure everything is up to par. I'm tickled pink with these tunes as it is... Man, I don't think you could have wiped the grin off of my face with a baseball bat after that first 0-60 run!

Anyways, that's my experience. After some first-glance testing, I'm proud to say that EFI is the monster I was looking for! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread; with a special thanks to Rye for answering all of my questions, and providing all of the information in this post. I think I made the right choice for performance in going with EFI!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:03 PM

Glad your happy! No need for thanks, sharing info is what these awesome sites are all about.

Have a good one fellas, and be safe. Rye.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 PM

I got the 50 hp tune in my 2007 work truck. MPG went up 1.5-2 on average. I don't count the days where my truck mpg when it sits and runs all day in -20 weather.

Throttle response is great. Pulls trailers like a champ...

We have been so happy we have done them on all our duramax and cummins trucks {expect our late models}. The great thing about a Dirtymax is you can get the exhaust break in the tune.