3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

The EFI live question and hopefully answer thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen, haha.

If my mileage doesn't increase I will go back to my street tune. I'm no expert but my street tune spools faster and doesn't haze like my single event tune, I have my thoughts on why that is and I assume its the nature of the beast.
Yeah, it's fun to try and experiment with! It is a little tough to get the single event tunes not to haze under moderate load. It definitely takes some time to get the timing dialed in, so that it runs good when cold and warm, as well as achieving good spool-up and minimal smoke.

Originally Posted by kwhite
On 06 and 07 5.9 trucks you can adjust tire revs per mile but I've never messed with it and I'm not sure if it works or not. Also on the same year model trucks, you can adjust idle speed with coolant temperature. I don't see any high idle parameters on the early 6.7 trucks though. As far as the post event, you can turn it off completely. You will notice a good increase in mileage with an increase in timing in the cruise range and lowering the boost. A good thing to remember is: the more load you can take off of the engine, the better the mileage.
Some say that they have had some luck with the tire size adjustment in the tune tool. I will say that in my opinion it doesn't work because I have not seen it consistently do what it is supposed to do.

I think that madhat may have been referring to the manual high idle feature which smarty, bullydog, etc., can enable whereas EFILive cannot. There is a table to enable the manual high idle in the beta CSP5 software, but it is not working at this time.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Banned

Ahh. You're right. I wasn't thinking about the "set the cruise" method. Thanks Mike.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

I loaded up my 12v tune today in one of my CSP5 slots just for fun a took a little video. It is a 500hp daily driver type tune. The video is not the best quality as it was taken with my phone and not planned out at all. This is just normal driving. At the end I flat foot it for a couple of seconds, and let out just before it started to clean up to show the maximum amount is smokes. The 12v tune surprisingly drives quite nice compared to a regular 2-3 injection tune. It is pretty much smokeless unless I roll into it hard. It does smoke a little more until the turbo spools compared to a "normal" tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLeYl...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I fueled up this am and set a record best 16.66r mpg, this was the only tank I can find in my record that I didn't tow anything so I think its as good as my truck is going to get. This was 99% street tune, I will run this next tank with my no pilot 12v tune and post the numbers for comparison.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 PM

Thanks Rye and Mike, I just got EFI Live V2 and have been playing with it. The tire size adjustment with the Revs per mile and pulses per mile parameters does not work, at all. I was very disappointed. I purchased a couple of tunes for my truck to have them while I am learning how to tune. I have a little advantage over most guys as I do a similar job for a living but in industrial plants like refineries.

You are absolutely correct about the value of data logging and graphing. Log and real-time graphs are how you make your tuning decisions intelligently. Without them you are guessing and are going to spend a lot of time and/or break something.

I would love to see the tune switch set up for my truck to have a Valet and Wife tune at least. I may be able to tune to the point of using the same tune for street and heavy towing but until then I would like the option.

I am trying to figure out how to build the dashboards for data display but haven't found out yet. Any quick advise to save me searching?

Thanks again,
Old 04-20-2013, 03:48 AM

Mods I hope you are ok with this link, its on another site but it is the main reference for EFI Live.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/ef...a-logging.html

Rich from Doghouse diesel spent a ton of time making these how too guides. There are 4 parts and they are awesome. Tis will show you how to set up your Dashpages.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm down...
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 AM

Original CR

Has anyone heard anything in the rumour-mill about an EFI Live system for those of us that have the early model CRs? I currently have a Smarty S-06 POD which a friend is interested in purchasing if I get a new programmer.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I asked that recently a few posts back, but short answer: no. AFAIK, there are no plans to start working on it any time soon. I think we're last on the list.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:36 PM

Ok just ran the single event tune for an entire tank and the results were 17.1mpg. That's a new all time high for my truck. I will say the results weren't as good as I had hoped but for a mileage test my conditions are about as bad as you are going to get. I live in a highly congested area and never get to drive anywhere without hitting red lights and stop and go traffic. I think this tune would work great for someone who can actually get up to speed and stay there, for the .5 mile increase I will return back to my street tune.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM

Great post, Rye! After reading this, I am now rethinking my decision on getting a Smarty S-06. Especially if they're gonna lock the truck to that programmer only... I've heard tons of good things about the EFI. I wasn't aware that you could data log and send it off to have it done, I figured someone had to sit in-truck with their laptop and tweak it - something I wouldn't feel comfortable letting myself do, (nor any of these little hole in the wall shops around here.)

If I were to spring for an EFI, I'd want the V2. Do these boxes come with some presets so I can run it right out of the box? And how many different tunes can be stored in it? I was looking at the Smarty because of the sheer amount of smoke you get along with the great power gains. Would it be possible to create a tune that is comparable to a Smarty for when I'm just farting around in town and feel like rolling some coal?

Last but not least, how hard is the EFI to undo? If I get the EFI and decide that I don't like it, I definitely don't want to be stuck with it. From what I gather here, and around the forums; the EFI is a no brainer! Are there any disadvantages that an EFI V2 would have compared to a Smarty?

Needless to say, You've greatly piqued my interest in the EFI Live! I look forward to hearing back and getting this thing running like a champ! It's time to get rid of the Six Gun and unleash the beast!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Banned

gilaphreak, PM sent...
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 AM

When you buy the V2 you get the ability to tune, it is a blank canvas. No tunes come with it. That said you could write 1000 tunes or 10,000 tunes for your truck its limitless. Once you lock in a vin to a liscense you can write or have someone write as many as you want. Each V2 co es with 2 Liscences, so you can tune 1 other truck. You can also buy more Liscences for $125 and tune more trucks.
Anything a box tuner can do EFI can do, you could write the same exact tune if you wanted so their is no comparison.
The only limit to EFI is the person building/writing the tunes, and your trucks mods. That's it, it simply is a different animal.
You simply can't not like it, you may not like a tune, data log and fix it. Right now it takes about 5-7 min to change tunes or go back to stock. The good news is switchable tuning is finally in Beta testing, when it launches you can switch between 5 different tunes instantly.
I still feel for most trucks 1 tune can do it all, but that's me and how I run mine. I don't like changing things. "Ain't nobody got time for that" .

Anything else feel free to ask.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gilaphreak
Great post, Rye! After reading this, I am now rethinking my decision on getting a Smarty S-06. Especially if they're gonna lock the truck to that programmer only... I've heard tons of good things about the EFI. I wasn't aware that you could data log and send it off to have it done, I figured someone had to sit in-truck with their laptop and tweak it - something I wouldn't feel comfortable letting myself do, (nor any of these little hole in the wall shops around here.)

If I were to spring for an EFI, I'd want the V2. Do these boxes come with some presets so I can run it right out of the box? And how many different tunes can be stored in it? I was looking at the Smarty because of the sheer amount of smoke you get along with the great power gains. Would it be possible to create a tune that is comparable to a Smarty for when I'm just farting around in town and feel like rolling some coal?

Last but not least, how hard is the EFI to undo? If I get the EFI and decide that I don't like it, I definitely don't want to be stuck with it. From what I gather here, and around the forums; the EFI is a no brainer! Are there any disadvantages that an EFI V2 would have compared to a Smarty?

Needless to say, You've greatly piqued my interest in the EFI Live! I look forward to hearing back and getting this thing running like a champ! It's time to get rid of the Six Gun and unleash the beast!
Some tuners will include a free starter tune for you if you purchase a v2 from them. For instance, we offer a free unlocked starter tune for stock'ish trucks. This allows you to immediately flash in a tune in your truck to get you on the road, and the starter tune is unlocked so that you can begin making changes with some direction.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 PM

That's awesome. The more I learn about the EFI, the more I'm starting to think that it's the thing for me. Is the switchable tuning on the fly? I'd like a tune slightly overfueled for rolling coal, then have the optimal tune handy for when somebody gets to feeling froggy! Any news on when it comes out?

Mike, that sounds like a good deal. What kind of services do you guys offer on custom tunes?

Quick Reply: The EFI live question and hopefully answer thread