3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

The EFI live question and hopefully answer thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You would have to talk to Anarchy, some tuners don't mind sending you a stock base OS. Others want a 100% stock file from the dealer. Some stock OS can cause little Gremlins in certain trucks and tunes, but dealer flashes don't seem to have the issues. This is tuner dependent and while Gremlins are very few and far between they are a pain none the less.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 AM

Today's thought, data logging. Ok first thing is you have to select what you want to log, EFI calls these PID's. So you can go through and select groups of PIDs or individual. You can monitor (don't beat me up on the number I am trying to remember and not go read cause I'm lazy) 96 at a time at the fastest rate, or more it just slows things down a bit but still plenty fast to see everything.

Ok so you pick your PIDs, then take your lap top and device out to the truck. Turn the key and hit the icon to connect to the truck, verify connection and you are ready to rock. There is a yellow stop light, real time data and a red stop light RECORD real time data. Hit the red and you are recording, that simple. When you exit out you will save the file and whamo data logging complete.

Since I have a tuner he sent me a list of PIDs he likes, I selected them and saved them. Then I went out and did a WOT run 0-60, same run again and then a roll to wot from about 40. That's it, send it off have it tweaked and new tune sent to me in no time.

I will try to post a graph, this is where EFI shines. I have a Data log screen shot where you can see my stock pump not keeping up. Even on a tune a normal stock pump should keep up on. Fix was to cut back fuel till my pump kept up, and guess what even though we limited fuel my truck got stronger on the next revision. See setting everything to kill is not best, you have to tune YOUR truck. That's where EFI is different. I have since picked up a Motorsports Diesel pump that has put down over 800 hp (not on my truck). I knew I needed a pump so I got one. Now we can throw max commanded fuel at my truck and the actual fuel keeps up!

And if you watched my RP gauge you would have never seen the drop, gauges simply cannot keep up. Data logging shows everything.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be happy to try to answer any questions as well. RyeThomas has already posted some great info!

No solid solid release date for the CSP Cummins switchable tuning at this time for the 2006-2007 trucks. Switchable tuning for the 6.7's will be tested and released at a later date. We are a part of the beta test team for EFILive, and everything has been going well with the csp operating system, etc. We are working with efi now trying to resolve one last concern with csp, so hopefully that will be sorted out soon, and the operating system and switches can be released. No dates set at all of the support of 2003-2005 trucks - sometime in the future is all I can say. This is why we have released smarty UDC tuning for them as the date keeps getting pushed back.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ATP-Mike
No dates set at all of the support of 2003-2005 trucks - sometime in the future is all I can say. This is why we have released smarty UDC tuning for them as the date keeps getting pushed back.

I was hoping that it would have been out by the time I got back from my deployment... Poop.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by madhat
I was hoping that it would have been out by the time I got back from my deployment... Poop.
I wish I had better news for you!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

It's ok, Mike. Rome wasn't built in a day. Any guesses when it could come out? I won't hold you to it.

Are they even working on it, or do they think there there isn't a market for it? It's been a minute since EFI for cummins came out, and I know it's an awesome tool. I plan on going to an EFI tuning class once it comes out.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Vendor - Former Vendor

To the best of my knowledge, it is somewhat on the back burner right now. I believe the main cummins focus is on the release of csp5, and everything that goes along with it, followed by the "see dealer" chime issues on the 6.7's. If I had to make an honest guess when 2003-2005 support would be available I would have to guess sometime toward the end of the year. This is taking into consideration the minimum time it would take to get the beta software up and running, the beta testing phase, and the preliminary public testing.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Well, thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm not going to come give you grief if it's not out by the end of the year... I figured they weren't as interested in getting it done as the other, newer stuff.

Oh, well. My smarty does me good for now.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:55 AM

Mad glad your back safe first and foremost, and thanks for your service Devil.

If you cannot wait there is one or two sources for kits that switch your ECM to the 06 while retaining all your gauges and speedometer. Just saying if you want it bad enough it can be done now.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 PM

I have had EFI ever since it was available. I had a tuner here in socal take care of the set up since they have installed and set up my truck. I was hoping this type of tuning would be available for our trucks at some point. I wwas not a fan of box's etc I wanted a custome set up for my truck in particular like all my race cars of past.

Mpg went up and the truck drives like a gasser no more sluggish feel under light acceleration. If you want the maximum out of your truck and mods this is by fare the way to go in my opinion. Im not saying a smarty or other programmer or box wont work for you but if u want fine tuning and a customized tune for your mods and needs nothing compares to EFI

JUST MY. 02
Old 03-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Mad glad your back safe first and foremost, and thanks for your service Devil.

If you cannot wait there is one or two sources for kits that switch your ECM to the 06 while retaining all your gauges and speedometer. Just saying if you want it bad enough it can be done now.

Thanks, buddy.

It's not that deep... I'd rather spend that money on tripples.

What baffles me is that EFI cannot change the tire size so the speedo is correct... what the heck? No high idle either? Seems simple enough... must not have been a priority.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM

Just wanted to add I will be trying a new single injection event tune this week. In theory mileage should increase, and possibly injector wear will be reduce due to one event vs three.
About 10 guys running this tune and thus far the mileage results look promising. Nothing huge but a solid gain, and a solid gain is good at $4.00 gallon.
I will report back.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

I built and ran a single injection event tune a while back, and have run it a few times since. It was more or less just for fun. Mileage seems to be pretty close to a two or three injection event tune. I never did any long highway runs or anyting to see just what the difference in mileage was.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen, haha.

If my mileage doesn't increase I will go back to my street tune. I'm no expert but my street tune spools faster and doesn't haze like my single event tune, I have my thoughts on why that is and I assume its the nature of the beast.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Banned

On 06 and 07 5.9 trucks you can adjust tire revs per mile but I've never messed with it and I'm not sure if it works or not. Also on the same year model trucks, you can adjust idle speed with coolant temperature. I don't see any high idle parameters on the early 6.7 trucks though. As far as the post event, you can turn it off completely. You will notice a good increase in mileage with an increase in timing in the cruise range and lowering the boost. A good thing to remember is: the more load you can take off of the engine, the better the mileage.

Quick Reply: The EFI live question and hopefully answer thread