3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Edge, Van Aaken,Quad?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge, Van Aaken,Quad?????

Which box should I get please give me the pros and cons of all! And is there any box that sounds better than another, meaning do they changes the tone of the engine, I would think the fuel pressure boxes would, because the amount of fuel delivered is higher, is this true, cause I would like a little extra noise! So help me out guys, which to get:

Van Aaken ( do they even make a box for the 600 motor or just the 555?)?
Quadzilla?
Edge?
Bully Dog?
TST?

Which will provide the most noise, and smoke!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:40 PM

Don't know about noise and smoke. Most buy for performance... I look at smoke as an added benefit
I ordered the Quad box yesterday after doing quite a bit of research. I've checked archives and current posts on this group and others. I know the quad box is the newest out there, but to be honest, I've not read any negatives on this product. Sure a couple guys had problems with them, but it came down to mfg defect and quad was all over it with their great customer service. Easy install, in cab adjustability, great pricing from Kyle and rave reviews. What else do you need?
Old 04-16-2005, 03:59 AM

I got my Quad box here because it was on sale and also it helps keep this site going. This box is great!! I ran an EZ for two years with no problems but it was just time for more power.. The EZ did not change the sound of the engine but on the 140hp setting the Quad does but it actually smooths it out some. If I hammer it I get a decent amount of smoke now too! The best thing is the in-cab adjustability. I can turn it off if I want or if some punk pulls up beside me at a light I can turn the **** all the way to the right and........ I've been driving this week on just the 60hp setting and will be filling up this morning to check the mileage. Judging by the tripometer the mileage has not changed much, if any, from what I got with the EZ which was 2 mpg less than stock.....We'll see though...
Old 04-16-2005, 07:08 AM

I thought that performance boxes gave you an increase in mileage? Like 2-3 MPG's better, so the quad decreases economy? I want whatever box John Rodriguez has cause he gets tons of smoke!
Old 04-16-2005, 07:37 AM

Dodgezilla I thank was saying the EZ was giving him 2mpg less not Quadzilla. I have installed the New 140 Quad Box on my 04.5 2500. And the low end power is much moor aggressive now. I like it better than the old box.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:31 AM

john rodriguez has a Bully Dog Downloader and it produces enough smoke to cause a blackout in an intersection. I plan to sell my Edge EZ in and get a Bully Dog Downloader because i want smoke.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Graphite600
I thought that performance boxes gave you an increase in mileage? Like 2-3 MPG's better, so the quad decreases economy? I want whatever box John Rodriguez has cause he gets tons of smoke!
I have yet to see a box increase mileage for anyone in the first tank or two but that is the drivers fault. They are capable of increasing your mileage, but only if you don't change your driving habits.

Most guys put one of these on and Then they play with it because it makes them and for that reason they don't get the advertised mileage gain.

Once you calm down and drive normally without that heavy foot you will see some mileage gains but only if you quit playing with it
Old 04-17-2005, 06:12 AM

Re: Edge, Van Aaken,Quad?????

Originally posted by Graphite600
Which box should I get please give me the pros and cons of all! And is there any box that sounds better than another, meaning do they changes the tone of the engine, I would think the fuel pressure boxes would, because the amount of fuel delivered is higher, is this true, cause I would like a little extra noise! So help me out guys, which to get:

Van Aaken ( do they even make a box for the 600 motor or just the 555?)?
Quadzilla?
Edge?
Bully Dog?
TST?

Which will provide the most noise, and smoke!
the van aaken will work on the 600 as well i had one for a 555 and it works great on my truck.as far as the quad dont know but i am going to try one,edge ez,i lent my va out to a fellow diesel head and he told me that the va gave him better bottom end than the ez and the va doesnt have the surginess that the ez has.the power pup,i have the one which is suposed to be crazy larry however on my truck on the dyno it just doesnt make the power, but it does run very well on the stree.as far as the tst its a power hound..best hp that i have tried but i am not crazy about the delivery mine will be in the for sale section soon...
Old 04-17-2005, 10:47 AM

After borrowing king d's VA box I am sold. I like the VA over the Ez, because the over all experience when driving and at the drag strip was better than I had with the Ez. Plus the VA 3.1 is cheaper then the ez. I did have the va 3.1 stacked with the TST and it is amazing. When driving and the va 3.1 set to the lower level and the TST set to 3/3 and 4/4 I could use my cruise control. The drive was smooth like when the truck was stock. There was no increase and decrease in the truck with the cruise set at a certian speed. With the Ez I would set the cruise control and the truck would surge. I also feel with the 3D mapping of the fuel pressure making the power a little bit sooner helped me acheive some great launches at the strip. With my mods I was able to obtain a 14.4 et with a speed of 93.3. My 60 ft time was 1.982. My best before my mods minus the Ez was a 16.637 with my speed at 83.77. As of right nnow I prefer the VA 3.1 over the Ez for increase in fuel pressures. I can not speak for other boxes because I am only using the TST stacked.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Tire Hater

I plan on trying to stack the Quad race box with the downloader as soon as I recover from my newest purchase.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Banned

The Quad box puts out a little plume of smoke when you stand on it but it clears up right away as for the noise level I have not really noticed much of difference from stock. I have tried all the boxe's and I sell most of them for the amount of power you get and the egt temps you can reach the xzillaraider seems to be the best overall.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Goodys1ton
After borrowing king d's VA box I am sold. I like the VA over the Ez, becasue the over all experience when driving and at the drag strip was better than I had with the Ez. ... As of right nnow I prefer the VA 3.1 over the Ez for increase in fule pressures. I can not speak for other boxes becaseu I am only using the TST stacked.
Not surprised you like the VA pressure box. It makes a great "pure pressure" stack because it combines Quad-like drivability, very reasonable rail pressures, and two fueling choices:

50%: about a 20HP peak HP gain with a small torque rise at about 2400

100%: about 40 HP peak HP gain with a very flat horsepower curve -- acheived with a high torque rise at 2400 yielding about 75 horsepower best gain over stock at 2400.

just don't try to stack the VA and the Quad together. they are both fundamentally pressure boxes and will try to manipulate the same thing.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:24 AM

can u use a zilla, bully dog ect. with the additude guage deal? i really like the looks of it with the new pillar mount.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:47 AM

come again? You want to use a Quadzilla box with a Bullydog downloader and an Edge Attitude?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:14 PM

no the attitude controller only works with the juice. I had one in my ford but blew the motor with it.... Now I have a real truck!!! I am also looking at the power pup. I don't plan on racing just heavy towing!!!

Quick Reply: Edge, Van Aaken,Quad?????