3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Edge juice vrs, Bullydog dowloader...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge juice vrs, Bullydog dowloader...

What are the pros and cons of each setup? Not looking for a dragracer just some nice smooth torque and power for my new 05. The edge juice with attitude seems pretty fool proof. What do you think?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Chapter President

My vote is for the Zillaraider race module.

Cat Cracker
Old 07-20-2005, 10:59 AM

The Xzillaraider Race module is just what the Non-dragracer needs

I have the BD but i would get the Juice. the juice has more power settings, and the BD only has Tow and performance. if you go higher than performance to extreme your trans will slip. The juice has settings inbetween the BD's performance and extreme

i love my BD though. on performance setting i can black out intersections
Old 07-20-2005, 11:32 AM

Question

There has got to be for pros/cons than this. I'm looking at both too and would like to know if one is better than the other. I'm not going to be dragin all over tarnation. Does one give better mileage than the other? I've heard that the powerpup makes the truck feel like it's surging and Edge Juice gives too much fuel pressure, anyone have this problem? Is one more easily detected by the dealer? Which monitor do you all like better (attitude or outlook)?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:51 AM

I have a Bullydog, and here are the differences as I see them. Deciding which is a pro or a con is all personal preference.

Bullydog by itself is cheaper than the Juice/Attitude combo, but isn't in-cab adjustable like the Edge. In order to do in-cab adjustability, you'll have to get the Outlook Monitor. With the Outlook Monitor, I think prices are a bit closer to each other.

Bullydog does timing/duration/pressure where the Edge only does timing/duration (in the case of the 325).

Bullydog on Extreme makes more power than the standard Juice/Attitude. You have to upgrade to the Hot version to get more power on the highest settings. You can opt to get the Crazy Larry program on the Bullydog and get WAY more power than most normal people are going to use.

If you get just the standalone Bullydog, you'll have no gauges unless you add them on your own. With the Juice/Attitude, you get all the gauges and EGT/Transmission slip control that you don't get with the Bullydog standalone. If you get the Outlook Monitor it will defuel based on EGT, but I'm not sure that it has the option to monitor transmission slip like the Juice/Attitude does.

I like my Bullydog, but I will seriously consider the Juice/Attitude if it ever becomes available for the 305.

With my Bullydog on Extreme, I gained 1mpg across the board. That includes plenty of stop and go, and 80+ on the interstate. I know the Juice will give an increase in mileage, but there is nothing set in stone as each truck responds differently.

As for the surging with the Bullydog, mine does it slightly at one RPM. A friend of mine has the Juice/Attitude on a 04.5, and it surges as well. Bear in mind that the Juice/Attitude does not increase pressure on the 325 engines, only the 305 (according to the beta testers of the 305 box).

Sorry for being long winded. I'll go back under a rock now.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:08 PM

LinearX great writeup .,

on the perfor setting i get 1.5-2 mpg better with my BD...
Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 PM

i get no surging with my bd, for the record
Old 07-20-2005, 08:27 PM

I should note that when I say I have slight surging, I mean REALLY slight. It's almost imperceivable when it happens, it will only happen in 6th gear at ~2100rpm (which I never drive at anyway). As I also stated, my friend with a Juice/Attitude also has some surging on his 04.5.

There have also been other folks speak of surging with TST and other boxes as well. I really think it's all luck of to whether or not a truck will surge and, in my opinion, the surging isn't enough to make me take the Bullydog off.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:55 AM

LinearX, what kind of mileage increase is your buddy seeing with his Edge set up? I've got a friend with the Edge EZ and he says he gets 23-24 in the E-way (72-75MPH). Anyone with the EZ getting this kind of increase?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:02 AM

Your friend does not check his mileage by hand. The overhead is wrong when you use a pressure box like the EZ.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by grandblanc
LinearX, what kind of mileage increase is your buddy seeing with his Edge set up? I've got a friend with the Edge EZ and he says he gets 23-24 in the E-way (72-75MPH). Anyone with the EZ getting this kind of increase?
To be honest, I have never asked him what kind of increase in mileage he got. The overhead is going to be incorrect when using an EZ as it fools the pressure signal going to the computer, so the overhead mileage will be incorrect. Now, if he is hand calculating then he might be on to something (like going slower than I do). I'm not sure if someone using a Juice will have the same overhead disprecencies as with someone running the EZ. For what it's worth, my overhead still shows very much the same as it did before I put the Bullydog in place.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:47 AM

Like it or not or just don't admit it, every box out there causes a surge. Some more noticable than others but they all do it. It's a just function of speed and control over injector pulse. When you take over the injector and produce "fly back voltage" to the ECM you will produce a surge. The pressure only boxes don't cause surges though.

As far as fuel mileage goes....I haven't noticed a huge gain with the EZ. Just about 1mpg hand calulated. I have tried several combinations with the EZ and Juice/Attitude and seem to do the best with the Juice on level 3 and the EZ on level 1 but the slight surging at cruise bothers me something fierce so I run with EZ only on level 1 when empty. If I tow the surge is almost gone. In order to lower EGT's I run the EZ on level 1 and the Juice on level 1 or 2. The extra timing and duration function of the Juice helps lower the EGT rise caused by the extra pressure from the EZ. At least that is what I have experieced so far. JMTC's.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:59 PM

Bigman...the edge juice with attitude is a great fuel box...the power is awesome...and it runs very cool...i have never had a temp. problem even on the highest settings. I also really like the safety features that the attitude offers. I have run several boxes now..and the Juice is by far the best Single box i have run...as soon as i do some tranny work i'm going to stack...