3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Edge Juice down load left on truck when sold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
ok, now all the mud is clear!!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well thank you at least I'm not a stuck in the mud.
Talked to the previous owner again. He went to pick the truck up in Idaho that he had ordered and they sold it to someone else. So when this truck came in on the semi that day he bought it. The dealer installed the exhaust brake and a goosneck hitch. That was all he knew about. He purchased the edge from them and installed it himself. He did go through 2 edge boxes before he got one to work right. I'm going to go get it from him in a couple of weeks.

Now back to the where did the extra hp come from? He let the truck go with 131k and it had 131k when I bought it. Also he didn't put the bed back on it and that's how it was when I got it. Doesn't leave any time for someone else to put a down loader on it. I haven't heard back from the dealer yet, so maybe since they messed up they gave him a few pony's?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:40 AM

'member back in the old days when you'd hear about someone who either got this incredible mileage with their big boat 4 door, 455CU land yacht, or thier little vega six was a tire burner? Something different was installed on those old boats to make em different. I wonder if there is any chance now of something different slipping into the production line, or of ECM software that somehow loads a little different....?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Chapter President

That's a good question. I hope I can findout. Maybe I'd be better off not trying to they may take the truck away from me.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by JThiessen
'member back in the old days when you'd hear about someone who either got this incredible mileage with their big boat 4 door, 455CU land yacht, or thier little vega six was a tire burner? Something different was installed on those old boats to make em different. I wonder if there is any chance now of something different slipping into the production line, or of ECM software that somehow loads a little different....?
Well i have personally seen a couple of those happen.....dad had a 1987 buick park ave with the famed 3.8L V6, got between 32-35 USmpg, which he was aboslutely floored about....grandpa had the same car, but was spouting off about 40+ mpg. So one trip we sat in the car, same route, same speed, same conditions as our car which got 33ish, low and behold grandpa pulls off 41ish hand calced.......seriously was amazing!!!!!

Now with the HP thing,......I could see if his engine was 345 @ the crank, that is only a 6-7% difference from the test motor used for ratings.....not too shabby, and i have heard of such a variance.....but 345 at the tires is 70-80 hp higher than stock, which is closer too 90-110 hp @ the crank.....that aint gonna happen nowadays!!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ramtd02
Well i have personally seen a couple of those happen.....dad had a 1987 buick park ave with the famed 3.8L V6, got between 32-35 USmpg, which he was aboslutely floored about....grandpa had the same car, but was spouting off about 40+ mpg. So one trip we sat in the car, same route, same speed, same conditions as our car which got 33ish, low and behold grandpa pulls off 41ish hand calced.......seriously was amazing!!!!!
And Gramps wouldnt let ANYONE work on it for fear that they would screw it up and set it back to factory spec, right??!?!?!?!!

I'd have to agree that those #'s at the wheel are more likely the result of aftermarket.
If its not the above, then the only other somewhat reasonable explanation is that you have a dyno operator that doesnt know what they are doing, or the dyno had a functional problem (ie., not calibrated, bad readings, etc).

Tree, did you purchase directly from the original owner? Or did you buy it from DS? If its the later, there is defintly opportunity for soemone to have loaded software on it, be it the dealer or or someone test driving it. And there is no chance of them "taking it from you".
Old 07-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Chapter President

Still a mystery at this point. I doubt the truck was manufacured this way. The dyno operator was John from Floor It Diesel. Lots of people dynod that day most were dissapointed with their #'s I'm happy with mine.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Chapter President

Does it smoke any? Like everytime on take off?
Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Chapter President

Smokes a little more than a stock but minimally. Even if I lug it it won't hardly smoke.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by JThiessen
And Gramps wouldnt let ANYONE work on it for fear that they would screw it up and set it back to factory spec, right??!?!?!?!!

I'd have to agree that those #'s at the wheel are more likely the result of aftermarket.
If its not the above, then the only other somewhat reasonable explanation is that you have a dyno operator that doesnt know what they are doing, or the dyno had a functional problem (ie., not calibrated, bad readings, etc).

Tree, did you purchase directly from the original owner? Or did you buy it from DS? If its the later, there is defintly opportunity for soemone to have loaded software on it, be it the dealer or or someone test driving it. And there is no chance of them "taking it from you".
Nope Grandpa let anyone work on it....just had some ridiculous mileage....probably a result of the primitive software, so a higher chance for deviation from the norm....but still ran like a top!!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Chapter President

I wish the mileage was as good as the hp. Can't say it's any different than normal. All those people claiming better mpg with a down loader. I sure can't see it happening here.