3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Edge J/A and Tone Ring Mod ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge J/A and Tone Ring Mod ????

Hi all, Im new to the forum and have done quite a bit of reading. I found a similar post as this, but couldn't come up with the answer to it so I thought Id give it a shot. I just bought an Edge J/A and would like to know if doing the tone ring mod, would help me out gas milage wise? Its my understanding that the Edge J/A will advance my timing, so would doing the TRM be too much or would it help out. On another note, is doing the TRM on an Automatic different from doing it on a standard tranny? Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
Hi all, Im new to the forum and have done quite a bit of reading. I found a similar post as this, but couldn't come up with the answer to it so I thought Id give it a shot. I just bought an Edge J/A and would like to know if doing the tone ring mod, would help me out. Its my understanding that the Edge J/A will advance my timing, so would doing the TRM be too much or would it help out. On another note, is doing the TRM on an Automatic different from doing it on a standard tranny? Thanks in advance!!
Welcome! thanks for searching before you post!

Would it help power wise? not really....but the more you advance timing, the better mpg you might get. thats why i get my best mileage with my bullydog cranked all the way up.

The juice is a mild, safe box so i doubt you would have too much timing. My current set up has soo much timing that i cant give it much throttle until its FULLY warm or i have bad timing rattle.

TRM is cheap so try it if you wish....but i don't get think you are gonna accomplish much with it.

Welcome aboard fellow texan. Don't get too addicted to this site!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't tell any difference with the TRM - not by the seat of the pants anyway, or the MPG on the calculator. But, to answer your question, you can do that with the Juice - no problem. And actually, the Juice adds little to no timing regardless of their claims. It is done primarily with duration.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:25 PM

Not to hi-jack your thread, but check the build date of your truck, if it is 06/06 or later, the Edge WILL NOT WORK. I've been waiting for 4 months now for them to come out with a fix
Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 PM

I've already got my E/A and have it installed. Seems to be working fine. How do you check the build date?? Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:38 PM

The build date is on a sticker on the driver's door. If your's is installed & working, your's must be before 06/06.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:30 PM

Even if it's built before 6/06 the E/A might not work correctly. Mine was built in 8/05 and if I have the E/A on when starting the truck after it is warmed up, it will often coughs and sputers on initial acceleration and sends engine code P2146. If I'm starting the truck cold, I don't have a problem, only on initial acceleration after starting the truck when warm. I've called Edge a couple of time on this and they've said they know they have a problem, and they'll get back with me.

So for now, I just turn the E/A off before I turn the truck off and turn it back on after the truck has run for a couple of minutes and it works fine.