3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Edge or ???? help the new guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge or ???? help the new guy

Whats up guys looking for some help for a new 05 3500 owner. I spent the last two weeks reading the threads on the Edge and Bullydog. I can't seem to find out which one is the best for the price and which one is the easiest to remove if you are heading to the dealer.

The truck is used as a daily and weekend tow rig. Not looking to run the track but just inprove the miles and help with pulling.

Thanks for any input

Bruce
Old 02-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Edge Juice/Attitude installed. I chose this module because it should leave the least forensic evidence when removed for any warranty issues.

The Bullydog Power Pup will seem much easier because all you do is plug into the OBDII connector and push a couple of buttons.

The Edge Juice/Attitude (not using the EGT probe from Edge, I have my own that I will monitor for now). Unplug 5 connectors, plug in factory connectors and remove the velcro tape from fuse box and steering column. It is gone.

If the Juice has not created max readings over stock specs then with it removed it would be very difficult to prove it was there. It does not seem to produce out of spec max values in level 1, 2 or 3. It may in the higher settings.

The Bullydog Power Pup downloader will leave record of computer flashes stored and not deleted in the Dodge computer. Since these flashes would not be logged by DC then they would be very suspect on any Cummins related warranty needed.

That just the way I see it, but I have been wrong more than once.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:03 PM

TST POWERMAX CR! I'm tempted to just leave it like that.

Well..... I guess I will explain why. This box will beat anything hands down, there is no pressure increase (you are already @ 24000 psi in the common rail) this box simply changes duration and timing. The power and torque from this box is excellent! It will be a box that you can grow with... If you plan on only stock equipment then do not go over 3x3 setting due to increase in HP and TQ. It gives you 9 on the fly settings each in HP and TQ enhancement. Check out some of the other threads about the TST box. Try TST for 30 days they will give your money back if not happy. I waited over six months to get mine for my 03 which now has 47000 miles and going great, it also includes boost guage and pyro and hardware to install pyro. It has a very nice remote guage that has boost and pyro and buttons to change the HP and TE settings.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:39 PM

I would go with the Edge if you don't want to get to radical. I have had it installed for about a week, and have not seen the EGT go over 1200.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red-Ram,

I would have gone with the TST except that the 04.5 has electronic waste gate. The TST instructions basically show how to convert it to mechanical waste gate to take full advantage of the TST. I just did not want to do that much physical modification the the stock parts yet. The Juice/Attitude is more than the trans can handle now anyway. Until the trans is upgraded and I forget warranty coverage, I will play with the Juice. After that I just dont know.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Banned

If your looking to drag race and tractor pull TST if your looking for street and towing use EDGE. I personally prefer the edge because it builds power on the low and midrange where I like my Diesel performance.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:42 PM

Re: Edge or ???? help the new guy

Originally posted by Shady TJ
Whats up guys looking for some help for a new 05 3500 owner. I spent the last two weeks reading the threads on the Edge and Bullydog. I can't seem to find out which one is the best for the price and which one is the easiest to remove if you are heading to the dealer.

The truck is used as a daily and weekend tow rig. Not looking to run the track but just inprove the miles and help with pulling.

Thanks for any input

Bruce
Shady,

Your words,"easy to remove,...improved mileage and help w/pulling". Based on your parameters my suggestion would be either the EDGE EZ or the VA C3.1. Both will do what your needing. I didn't read that you'd be willing to spend really huge bucks to upgrade practically all your systems to accommodate more powerful boxes, of which there are many. Even with the two boxes indicated you'll still need more to accompany either of them. Think gauges, gauges, gauges, air intake mod and probably a less restrictive exhaust. Then most importantly, stop there. That's my $.02.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 PM

thanks

Thanks for the info! The money is not the big problem as much as going to far with mods to fast. I did order a new muffler to let it breathe better. Speaking of that issue (breathing) What about getting the cat out of the way? I OK with inspections and passing is not an issue. I read a few posts about being a little louder in the cab. I would assume ditching the cat will help keep exhaust temps down?

Thanks agian for the ideas and thoughts

later
Old 02-14-2005, 09:49 PM

i like my Edge EZ. the max torque out of the EZ on the 600 is 150, so you cant go overboard on power and risk blowing the truck up

i have no cat or muffler as well. its loud, thats for **** sure. on the highway at any speed above 60 its MAYBE louder than stock. at 55mph in overdrive, you give it throttle and it might deafen you... i like that though so im leaving it