3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Edge EZ Box question (again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge EZ Box question (again)

Hey guys, as some of you know, I have been on the look out for some advice on which box to grab, and not needing something crazy since my goals are small (at this time anyway ) Well, I have been thinking about the Edge EZ box. I saw a couple for sale on the DTR classifieds, on one says it is a pressure box. May I ask is there a difference in a new or old EZ box, or, are they all the same? Thanks for the input guys!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Banned

Also, would you guys buy from somone that has only 2 posts on the board??????
Old 01-12-2006, 10:14 AM

I am not aware of any difference in old or new EZ but I would call edge or something if you are not sure.

I looked at the ez at first due to ease of insall and price if I were to buy used. decied agianst it mainly because it is a pressure only box. I wanted at least 60hp so that ment I would have to run it on its highest pressure setting all the time. It might have just got paranoid but you will read these posts bashing pressure only boxes and talking about cracked injectors. I plan on keeping the truck and just decied to do the timing duration route for power. Not going to pretend to be an expert on that topic. After reading and reading and reading I just felt like why buy a box that only uses one power parameter. not that adding a little presure is bad I just felt like adding only presure was a draw back.

If you want a econmical box I would look the quadzilla XZT as well. I could have got one brand new off ebay for $265. it uses more than just pressure if I am not mistaken.

I also decied I would have to at least run an egt gauge as not at least have that is just stupid IMO. I started totaling it all up and just decied to get the juice.

srt-10 pillar $65
egt gauge kit $120
used edge or quad ~250-300

so it was going to cost about ~$500 to do that. throw in a boost gauge as well it the price gets even closer. I droped the extra $130 and just go the juice. the cheapest option would be the xzt with a ISSPRO pyro gauge though.

that being said I have a friend with the ez and he likes it. he only has 9k on the clock though. my cocern with it was long term related.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EZ is a decent box, but I sold mine because it was not easily adjustable. I went with a Ramifier (now called a MP-8) becasue it can be adjusted on the fly with a turn of the ****.

With the EZ I found myself in a delima of "power" or "mileage" when the hood was opened... and usually I would have made the wrong decision almost everytime...

the old EZ's had extra power levels, but they where also placing you fuel system in very dangerous areas. So the new EZ came out with less levels (basically removed the highest setting) so guys wouldn't pop injectors....

Good luck, but honestly I would look for something more adjustable (Quad or Ramifier)....
Old 01-12-2006, 11:03 AM

SSMinnow, I ran an EZ for almost two years before buying my two new boxes. That's a good price in the classifieds but I would actually want to have it in hand before I sent money to someone with only 1 or 2 posts. I have past over several items in the past couple years for just that reason. There's a TST box on there cheap too but if the guy isn't close to me I'm not messing with it. Of course I just got burned on E-bay for a turbo so I'm gun shy right now.
The EZs are pressure boxes which isn't all bad unless you run on the high settings all the time, then you may run into injector issues. Not being able to adjust it in the cab stinks too. I would recommend one of the Quad boxes. In cab adjustable and at a great price even new although I think there's one in the classifieds too that would work for you. The Quad makes power on the bottom end which is what I like best...
Old 01-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Banned

OK, thanks for tips guys, that is what I am looking for. Coming from a 4 position chip on my PSD that was adjustable in cab was REAL nice. Not sure if I could deal with not having that adjustabilty again, so I amy have to save a few more pennies....
Old 01-12-2006, 01:53 PM

Once I get my new turbo I may sell one or both of my boxes and get an EZ/TST stack so keep in touch. Going to that combo should put me at around 500rwhp. My current stack hopefully will put me over 400hp once that turbo goes in.......
Old 01-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Banned

The van Aaken C3.1 is a very nice box. It gives a 70 HP gain and has a 3 position switch. The price on them is pretty low to.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:35 PM

The C3.2 isn't cheap but it works well and gives about 100hp.....
Old 01-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
The C3.2 isn't cheap but it works well and gives about 100hp.....
I agree, the C3.2 is a nice box also and works very well with the tone ring mod.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:08 PM

It's nice but it makes power like the EZ, top end only. That's why I like the Quad, low end power increase. But, turn them both on and
Old 01-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Banned

See, I need more power down low, as I haul, and I feel that the Cummins is already weak on the bottom end compared to my 7.3 PSD.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Then I would definitely say try one of the Quadzilla boxes. Call Lary Ellis here at the DTR store. The prices are already low but you will get an even better price since you are a member here...
Old 01-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

The C3.1 comes on VERY low. If you want low end power and some fuel economy on an 03 the C3.1 is an awesome box. The Quad works very well also but is not adjustable.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:02 AM

EZ works just fine and is a great box with a good warranty.
They are all pressure.

Quick Reply: Edge EZ Box question (again)