3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

EDGE or BULLYDOG?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EDGE or BULLYDOG?????

i am going to take the plunge and put a module in my truck. i am going to go with a module/monitor combo but i dont know which one. i dont have a huge budget (does anyone these day) so i want to stay under 800$ can any one give me suggestions and tell me any pros and cons they might have.

2003 305/555 H.O 6-speed QC long bed 4x4, silencer ring fell out (wink-wink) air baffle MIA 4" turbo back, all just the tip of the ice berg!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:35 AM

Ad removed.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:39 AM

Well, I have the bd and like it. Have not had any problems with it. I haven't tried anything else so I have nothin to compare to. You're gonna hear smarty multiple times. IMO if a person needs to fine tune everything for competition use, then get a smarty. Smarty (from what I see) has alot of varibles.

Personally I don't compete (with my truck) so the bd PMT works for me. I have the CRAZY LARRY uploaded and I tell ya, along with the other my other mods., the ricers are really blown away. I put a infinity q35(??) down by a couple of truck lengths, it didn't want to come up next to me at the next light.(HEHAHE)

I have a few friends running the edge w/att. with hot unlock(??) and that's all they have as far a perf. mods. I have more power so I can take 'em.

If you get talked into the smarty, you're still going to need gauges to monitor things more closely so that adds to the cost, plus time for installing the gauges where as the pmt/edge monitors has four 'gauges' that's shown on the screen (at the same time).

With gauges, though, it's 'live'- you're not using the factory readings(wire harn.) to get the info.

A while back I pm'd a couple of guys who switched from the edge and pmt to the smarty. I asked if they really felt a diff. in perf. and I was surprised to their answers, 'cuz now they could compare honestly through pm with out being nailed by the loyal smarties. Until I want every ounce I can pull out of the truck, I'll stay with my set up.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:43 AM

i had a pmt on my truck then changed to the edge and what a difference. i didn't really like bully dog
Old 10-18-2008, 07:44 AM

I don't have time to explain now but having an 03 do not waste you time with a BD, unless all you want is 70hp and no smoke....... Trust me I've been through it all before and theres a reason I will not use bully dog products.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stainless
I don't have time to explain now but having an 03 do not waste you time with a BD, unless all you want is 70hp and no smoke....... Trust me I've been through it all before and theres a reason I will not use bully dog products.

i know what you're saying i couldn't really fell a difference between the power levels, no smoke, no boost. and the edge w/ pillar mount compared to the bullydog w/ pillar mount is about $100 cheaper and a better product IMO
Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont forget about the quadzilla xzillerader and commander. I have the race box and thinks its very good.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

i have the BD PMT, but i have an 06'. For your 03, i believe Edge would be the way to go.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Just buy a smarty and be done with it the first time around.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:15 PM

He asked about Edge or Bully for the ability to have gauges...I too am a Smarty pusher, but if he wants gauges...(Smarty doesn't offer that) JMHO
Old 10-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured this thread wouldn't get past page one without that coming out...
I only have experience with the Edge/ Attitude and love mine. Best bang for the buck IMO. It is more than you need and since your on a budget I'd say its a good choice. I know I have to spend ALOT more money on other stuff before i would ever outgrow it. I think it offers more in one package than anything else out there for the price.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:42 PM

I've ran the Edge for quite a few years now, and have had good results, no experience with the BD so I can't comment on it. Hard to beat a programmer with gauges for the price yet the Smarty does seem like the superior product these days for our trucks. I've had a few problems with my Edge and the customer support is great, very helpful. I'm not sure about the BD but the Edge comes with the built in turbo timer option. I like my Edge because you can adjust power on the fly, couldn't do that last month with the Smarty, but with the POD everything changes.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:24 PM

That's some good advice right there. I never had an edge but did have the BullyDog and man when I first downloaded the crazzy larry I was really impressed. But the BD just seemed to fuel real hard with light throttle and not be linear in it's power curve. Now the Smarty....how do I say how much I love my smarty? It's the best thing I've seen for these cummins and being able to adjust TQ management and timing and fuel rail pressure is superb. Nothing beats it on the market. All the big horsepower guys are using Smarty. And then on the other hand you have some guys who are like "well I just want a little safe power" If that's the case then the Smarty wins again because you just run it on level one and it's smooth as butter, yet far more responsive and better than factory.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:40 PM

i thank every one for their input. i think for now the Edge w/ attitude i the way to go for safe performance. and since this is my first endevor with CTD, maybe down the road i can step up to a smarty and gauge kit. but for now, a all in one module/monitor makes the most sence. does any one know if the edge has a built in cool down timer? i hear that it is a good investment to install a cool down timer so i dont melt turbo bearings.

for you edge owners....what power level can i SAFELY run with a pretty much stock rig? i do have a high flow 4" turbo back exhaust and a K&N drop in. but i want to make sure i am not running to high of a power setting on the edge.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don’t have any first hand experience with the BullyDog, but I have the Edge w/Attitude and so far I’m happy with it. I found a reconditioned unit on ebay – works fine for me, but a new one carries a much better warranty. When I did have questions about the unit I found their support to be excellent both before and after purchase.

I generally leave it in level 1 for fuel economy (I’m getting roughly 1 to 1 ½ MPG better – not as much as I had originally hoped). In level 3 there is a noticeable difference in power, that head snapping feeling is fun. I’ve never had it over level 3 because the rest of the machine is stock and I’d rather not have to replace a transmission due to my foolishness…

I also appreciate the turbo timer (although I have read somewhere online that the EGT temp may not be accurate – I can’t say one way or the other) hopefully it will keep me from toasting my turbo.

The only thing I don’t care for is that I can’t read the display when I have my sunglasses on; polarized lenses seem to block that kind of display (same with the LCD displays at the gas stations too).

Quick Reply: EDGE or BULLYDOG?????