3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Easiest way to go 2 micron filtering?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easiest way to go 2 micron filtering?

Like it says. What are the options for 2 micron fuel filtering?

Thanx.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with the GDP MK-2 + Big Line kit.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
I went with the GDP MK-2 + Big Line kit.

That is a set up from inside the tank to the CP3, right. Is there any reason to think reliability of the vehicle will be less than it is now?

Thanx.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:51 PM

I just looked at the Glacier site. Is the big line kit just a $70 thingy with fittings and a tube?

Thanx.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:21 PM

This is the kit I have. It replaces the fuel lines from the factory canister filter to the CP3 and places the filter in between.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:24 PM

Thanx Garcia. If I had just that would I need to get a FP gauge (like the Recon maybe)?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM

You might have problems running out of fuel because the fuel pick up is different and will start sucking air at 1/8 tank.

This was a problem a year ago when I was shopping for a pump and filter and dont know if its been fixed yet. A few members rigged something up but it didnt sound like something I wanted to do.

I'd probably have it if I didnt hear of users running out of fuel if it drops below 1/4.

Since fuel is $3.40 a gallon my truck rarely sees full a full tank. Its usually at 1/4 or lower
Old 10-29-2007, 03:31 PM

I also got the 2-micron and big line kits from GDP. It was very easy to install and maintain. Richard has the installation instructions on his site, check them out and you will be able to see if it's what you are looking for. You can install it, bolted up to your intake horn or remotely. Def worth it. Check out the store here on DTR or give Lary a holler, he handles the GDP stuff as well, he didn't handle Richard's stuff when I bought mine.

CD
Old 10-29-2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by jmccart
Thanx Garcia. If I had just that would I need to get a FP gauge (like the Recon maybe)?

I would. I feel its wise to monitor fuel pressure on these trucks. Can be a great indicator of a current problem or one to come. And the GDP kit comes with a tee fitting to place inline where you'd install the pressure sender.

Originally Posted by SlowSixSpeed
You might have problems running out of fuel because the fuel pick up is different and will start sucking air at 1/8 tank.

This was a problem a year ago when I was shopping for a pump and filter and dont know if its been fixed yet. A few members rigged something up but it didnt sound like something I wanted to do.

I'd probably have it if I didnt hear of users running out of fuel if it drops below 1/4.

Since fuel is $3.40 a gallon my truck rarely sees full a full tank. Its usually at 1/4 or lower

Slow,

Were just talking about the filter, not the fuel pump. But you are right regarding the pump setup.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:59 PM

I think dfuser makes a fuel filter and water seperator set up.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Banned

You will need the aftermarket pump to be able to run the filter kit or you differential in fuel pressure will be huge and possibly starve the cp3 and get the p0148 code all the time.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by CReed
You will need the aftermarket pump to be able to run the filter kit or you differential in fuel pressure will be huge and possibly starve the cp3 and get the p0148 code all the time.

I don't have an aftermarket pump and have never had that code, even with my 100 h.p. Quad module.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:02 PM

I'm making my own - just sourced the stuff today. FF5320 - $13.73 and 142784S head - $23.31 from Cummins plus hose and clamps. I'll modify the banjos and reuse them. Craig
Old 10-29-2007, 06:39 PM

Hey SlowSixSpeed,
I asked Richard about running out of fuel at the 1/4 to 1/8th tank, and he said I could get around that and still have a high performance fuel system by using the mechanical 'fuel boss'. You put another 'drawstraw' in as close to the bottom of the tank as possible and run the new lines to the mechanical fuel pump then it pressurizes the filters. You leave the old electric pump hooked up and put a pressure switch in (everything is included in kit) When the level drops below the level of the new drawstraw, the pressure will drop and the old electric pump will kick in. When the fuel is low, and when the key is first turned on (when there is no to low pressure in system) is the only time the electric pump is on. Good thing about the mechanical GDP fuel bosses is that the pressure INCREASES with RPM like it's supposed to something like 10-12 at idle and 17-19-20 at WOT. It's also supposed to last virtually forever. Something interesting Richard said is that when you get low on fuel, the fuel that is left in the tank can become pretty hot. Apparently there is a lot of heat removed from engine by the fuel as it goes thru the pump and rail and the excess is returned to tank. I got the pump last week, it sure seems to be built well, it's cast iron with a steel shaft and it's mounted on a machined aluminum pad or support that is bolted under the Vibration dampener ( I understand only stock dampeners not Fluiddampers) and there is a little belt that runs it. The whole kit is just about (or a little more) what the complete Walbro systems costs. I haven't put mine in yet, I just ordered the duel filter setup, and the aluminum block off for the stock filter (which loses me the water in line sensor, but I will periodically dump fuel out of the FW seperator (plus I've read of lots of people ruinening injectors with water, etc. that were not warned by the 'water in fuel' sensor, so I don't have a high confidence level in the sensor anyway.
The reason that the replacement drawstraws don't get all of the fuel is that the stock drawstraw is already at the optiminum place at the bottom of tank and you can't remove it, it's molded in.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 PM

Is the stock lift pump strong enough to push fuel through a 2 mic filter? I have been thinking about going the GDP route as well but have heard from a couple of reliable sources that a 2 mic filter is highly recommender as long as you have a different lift pump to push it through or risk starving the rail and cause premature CP3 failure. Maybe I am on crack but this makes sense and wondering if there is any truth to it.

Fuel filtering seems to be such a mysterious topic on here and seems to be hard to get a clear cut yes/no as far as filtration goes with the stock LP.

Right now I am running the NAPA gold filter but want something better with the rail pressure that I am running with the XZT.

-Jeremy

Quick Reply: Easiest way to go 2 micron filtering?