3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Dynomax Bullet or 17537 Muffler & air vane removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynomax Bullet or 17537 Muffler & air vane removal

First I removed my air vane and I must say I should have done that 3 years ago. The truck sounds better and obviously seems to breath better than it did prior to it's removal. There isnt any more power or anything, just seems to rev freer and more willingly.

Second. Still up in the air on the exhaust thing. I am trying to keep this a low buck mod and get rid of the existing muffler in support of installing something more free flowing.

I figure making the engine breathe better is going to yield me some more mpg. At least I hope so as with the rising cost of fuel every 1 mpg more is 30 miles further traveled on a tank and about $3.75 saved (assuming 2.50/gallon of fuel around here is about average). So 2 mpg is 6.50. Funny how things add up with the mileage factor. So what I dont want to do is spend 300+$ on an exhaust system as it will obviously counter any savings if fuel mileage is increased (will take too long to pay off, possibly a year if I tank up once a week).

The STP filter I added to the stock box seemed to add about .25 mpg over the past 3 tanks. It lacks that fiber/grassy thing the factory filters have on the dirty side the air box. It is just an open element paper filter.

Right now I am getting 19.5 (worse tank through the winter) to 21.4mpg (best tank on a trip). (latest tank was 20.2)

I am hoping to find some way to get up in the 21-23 range.

Or am I crazy?

But anyway back to the muffler.

Anyone running a dynomax? I can pick there up around here with a decent discount considering all the parts I bought for the restoration project.

Ron.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Banned

I've run a dynomax bullet, and I hated it... removed the sharp edges from the exhaust note, left all the bass (resonance), and killed ALL the turbo whistle in the exhaust...

Forrest
Old 04-11-2005, 10:35 AM

so much for that idea.

I see you have gone with a 5" straight pipe now...doesnt that have more drone?

I was considering to straight pipe the factory exhaust.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Banned

I've got lots of sound deadener and other tricks that keep resonance at bay

I would just straight pipe it... the 3rd gens aren't bad at all when you straight pipe the factory system. a few of my buddies have that setup, and it's not bad at all inside. sounds sweet outside.

basicly, my experience is you're going to get the same amount of interior resonance with the bullet or with straight pipe, but the straight pipe sounds SO much better...

Forrest